EU to force Royal Artillery to fire cannons "quietly.&q

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Quiet, please!
by CHRISTOPHER LEAKE, Mail on Sunday

5th March 2006

Too big a bang: A Royal Artillery gun crew

The Royal Artillery is being forced to test 'quieter' cannon rounds in case its 21-gun salutes breach EU noise regulations.

Soldiers from the unit are investigating a variety of ways of lowering the noise of their ceremonial guns, The Mail on Sunday has learned.

They have been warned that they might risk breaching the European Union's 'Physical Agents Directive', which has reduced the maximum legal limit.

The directive says that the level will have to drop from 140 decibels to 135, putting troops in danger of prosecution for damaging the hearing of members of the public.

The Ministry of Defence says the reduction can be achieved by moving crowds further from the guns.

But last week, soldiers practising in Hyde Park, Central London, revealed that they were also trying out smaller explosive charges in their cannons as a way of cutting noise. They told this newspaper they were carrying out tests to establish whether or not the weapons would now comply with the new EU standard.

Last night, Patrick Mercer, Tory homeland security spokesman and a former Army infantry commander, said: "This is bonkers.

"I hope that terrorists in Iraq bombing our boys will be made to have quieter bombs and that sergeant majors will be told to shout more quietly so they are in line with European legislation."

When first asked, the MoD said that the review of cannon noise was nothing to do with EU regulations and had been sparked by a complaint from a park worker.

The next day, the MoD conceded the 2003 directive, which comes into law next month, had reduced the decibel limit and meant that it was having to take measures to stop crowds being subjected to illegal noise levels at ceremonial salutes.

It also said it had had a complaint about the noise at the Remembrance Day service in 2003.

The Ministry said that it was in the process of conducting a review of noise levels to ensure they complied with the new legislation but added: 'Difficulties in obtaining range access and, more importantly, access and permission to fire in London parks has made the datagathering exercise a slow process. It is anticipated that this task will be completed in September 2006.'

A spokesman repeatedly insisted that the aim of lowering noise levels would be achieved by moving crowds further away from the guns.

The conclusions 'so far' were that there was no need or intention to start using smaller or quieter ammunition, he said.

When pressed, however, he refused to say that the explosive charges used next year would be the same size as those used last year or the year before.

An EU spokeswoman said: "All our directives are based on the best information and scientific research available. The idea of the directive is to protect workers using heavy equipment but it will apply to noise levels from these guns as well."

dailymail.co.uk

shortmanx5

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2006
RE: EU to force Royal Artillery to fire cannons "quietl

England needs to get out now.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I would assume that the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has nothing like the Canadian notwithstanding clause that could perhaps be used to overrule the legislation of the European Union?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: EU to force Royal Artillery to fire cannons "qu

FiveParadox said:
I would assume that the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has nothing like the Canadian notwithstanding clause that could perhaps be used to overrule the legislation of the European Union?

Canada is democratic. The EUSSR isn't.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: EU to force Royal Art

see I think me and Blackleaf are in agreement here, the EU is a farce, and I think it's true, they can overrule a law that we make.

Thats why I believe we should have nothing more than trade with them, I dont buy this "being part of the EU was evolutionarily part of what Britain will eventually become"

In a way we are similar to America in the 30's, it's just we're a lot closer, so it's unavoidable....a european disagreement or unity is as foreign to us as it is to those in north america

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The EU has a habit of creating silly, pointless laws and forcing them upon Britain.

What about the law that made it illegal to sell bent bananas? Europhiles say that it's a myth, but the EU DID make the law.

And it's no wonder the Continental Europeans never go to war much these days - the big bang sounds of firing cannons must scare them. You can imagine the French going to war wearing pink ear mufflers and using cannon silencers.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: EU to force Royal Artillery to fire cannons "quietl

Silly and pointless EU laws, No 13562 -

===================================

BENT BANANAS
Here it is. The regulation that Eurofanatics always deny exists. How they will explain this one away should be interesting...

--------------------------------- ----------------------------------

COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 2257/94

LAYING DOWN QUALITY STANDARDS FOR BANANAS

Article 1

The quality standards applicable to bananas falling within CN code ex 0803, excluding plantains, fig bananas and bananas intended for processing, are laid down in Annex I hereto.

These standards shall apply to bananas originating in third countries at the stage of release for free circulation, to bananas originating in the Community at the stage of first landing at a Community port, and to bananas delivered fresh to the consumer in the producing region at the stage of leaving the packing shed.

Article 2

The standards laid down in Article 1 shall not affect the application, at later stages of marketing, of national rules which:

- do not impede the free circulation of bananas originating in third countries or other regions of the Community and complying with the standards laid down in this Regulation; and

- are not incompatible with the standards laid down in this Regulation.

Article 3

This Regulation shall enter into force on 1 January 1995.

REGULATION 2257/94 ANNEX I AMENDED BY REGULATION 386/97

I. DEFINITION OF PRODUCE

This standard applies to bananas of the varieties (cultivars) of Musa (AAA) spp, Cavendish and Gros Michel subgroups, referred to in Annex II, for supply fresh to the consumer after preparation and packaging. Plantains, bananas intended for industrial processing and fig bananas are not covered.

II. QUALITY

This standard defines the quality requirements to be met by unripened green bananas after preparation and packaging.

A Minimum requirements

In all classes, subject to the special provisions for each class and the tolerances allowed, the bananas must be:

- green and unripened

- intact

- firm

- sound; produce affected by rotting or deterioration such as to make it unfit for consumption is excluded

- clean, practically free from visible foreign matter

- practically free from pests

- practically free from damage caused by pests

- with the stalk intact, without bending, fungal damage or dessication

- with pistils removed

- free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers

- practically free from bruises

- practically free from damage due to low temperatures

- free from abnormal external moisture

- free from any foreign smell and/or taste

In addition, hands and clusters (parts of hands) must include:

- a sufficient portion of crown of normal colouring, sound and free from fungal contamination

- a cleanly cut crown, not bevelled or torn, with no stalk fragments

The physical development and ripeness of the bananas must be such as to enable them to:

- withstand transport and handling

- arrive in satisfactory condition at the place of destination in order to attain an appropriate degree of maturity after ripening

B Classification

Bananas are classified into the three classes defined below:

(i) 'Extra' class

Bananas in this class must be of superior quality. They must have the characteristics typical of the variety and/or commercial type.

The fingers must be free from defects, apart from slight superficial blemishes not covering a total of more than 1cm² of the surface of the finger, which must not impair the general appearance of the hand or cluster, its quality, its keeping quality or the presentation of the package.

(ii) Class I

Bananas in this class must be of good quality. They must display the characteristics typical of the variety and/or commercial type.

However, the following slight defects of the fingers are allowed, provided they do not impair the general appearance of each hand or cluster, its quality, its keeping quality or the presentation of the package:

- slight defects in shape

- slight skin defects due to rubbing and other slight superficial blemishes not covering a total of more than 2cm² of the surface of the finger

Under no circumstances may such slight defects affect the flesh of the fruit.

(iii) Class II

This class covers bananas which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the minimum requirements specified above.

The following defects of the fingers are allowed, provided the bananas retain their essential characteristics as regards quality, keeping quality and presentation:

- defects of shape

- skin defects due to scraping, rubbing or other causes, provided that the total area affected does not cover more than 4cm² of the surface of the finger.

Under no circumstances may the defects affect the flesh of the fruit.

III. SIZING

Sizing is determined by:

- the length of the fruit expressed in centimetres and measured along the convex face, from the blossom end to the point where the peduncle joins the crown,

- the grade, i.e. the measurement, in millimetres, of the thickness of a transverse section of the fruit between the lateral faces and the middle, perpendicularly to the longitudinal axis

The reference fruit for measurement of the length and grade is:

- the median finger on the outer row of the hand

- the finger next to the cut sectioning the hand, on the outer row of the cluster.

The minimum length permitted is 14cm and the minimum grade permitted is 27mm.

As an exception to the last paragraph, bananas produced in Madeira, the Azores, the Algarve, Crete and Lakonia which are less than 14cm in length may be marketed in the Community but must be classified in Class II.

IV. TOLERANCES

Tolerances in respect of quality and size shall be allowed within each package in respect of produce not satisfying the requirements of the class indicated.

A Quality tolerances

(i) 'Extra' class

5% by number or weight of bananas not satisfying the requirements for the 'Extra' Class but meeting those for Class I, or, exceptionally, coming within the tolerances for that class.

(ii) Class I

10% by number or weight of bananas not satisfying the requirements of Class I but meeting those for Class II, or, exceptionally, coming within the tolerances for that class.

(iii) Class II

10% by number or weight of bananas satisfying neither the requirements for Class II nor the minimum requirements, with the exception of produce affected by rotting or any other deterioration rendering it unfit for consumption.

B Size tolerances

For all classes, 10% by number of bananas not satisfying the sizing characteristics, up to a limit of 1cm for the minimum length of 14cm.

V. PRESENTATION

A Uniformity

The contents of each package must be uniform and consist exclusively of bananas of the same origin, variety and/or commercial type, and quality.

The visible part of the contents of each package must be representative of the

entire contents.

B Packaging

The bananas must be packed in such a way as to protect the produce properly.

The materials used inside the package must be new, clean and of a nature such as to avoid causing any external or internal deterioration of the produce. The use of materials such as, in particular, wrapping papers or adhesive labels bearing commercial indications is allowed provided that the printing and labelling is done with a non-toxic ink or glue.

Packages must be free from any foreign matter.

C Presentation

The bananas must be presented in hands or clusters (parts of hands) of at least four fingers.

Clusters with not more than two missing fingers are allowed, provided that the stalk is not torn but cleanly cut, without damage to the neighbouring fingers.

Not more than one cluster of three fingers with the same characteristics as the other fruit in the package may be present per row.

In the producing regions, bananas may be marketed by the stem.

VI. MARKING

Each package must bear the following particulars in writing, all on the same side, legibly and indelibly marked and visible from the outside:

A Identification

Packer } Name and address or officially issued and/or } or recognised conventional mark dispatcher }

B Nature of produce

- the word 'Bananas' where the contents are not visible from the outside

- the name of the variety or commercial type.

C Origin of the product

- country of origin and, in case of Community produce:

- production area

- (optionally) national, regional or local name

D Commercial specifications

- Class

- net weight

- size, expressed as minimum length and, optionally, as maximum length

E Official control mark (optional)

http://www.btinternet.com/~brentours/EU42.htm

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Do you know what I think is the worst EU law?......the law forbidding the sale of Mountain Dew in ll of the EU because it contains too much sugar (this is true, the only places, aprt from Canada, the US and mexico that I can get it are Romania(not in the EU) and India)...I know it's bad for you, mountain dew that is, but shouldnt it be up to ME to decided?

nah, the whole EU is a joke, ITALY is corrupt, just like it's president, SPAIN had so much promise hundreds of years ago and wasted it, GERMANY is so scared that it's own divisions might wanna start another war that it comes up with crazy laws to stop em while making sure the rest of the EU falls in line, FRANCE is soooo afraid of GERMANY that it follows em and gangs up against the UK like a big man/ little man act, it''s pathetic.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

it sounds as if continental europe has conquered the uk without firing even one shot--by out smarting you

that is what YOU seem to be saying

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

well perhaps your right, if you cant beat em at war, beat em at politics, no, I think brussels has managed to do what Napoleon, Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm never managed:

to take political control out of the hands of westminster and give it to central europe, no other way around it, britain should leave this joke of a union, it's obvious all Germany and France are interested in is creating a superstate to rival the US

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

but the likelyhood that the uk will leave the eu is zero-- isnt it...

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

They would never "leave" the EU, but distance themselves from it.....sure....when Tony Blir steps down, which must be soon, his reputation in the UK is in tatters, his "god bothering" arflarks and Tessa Jowell have put him in a right hole, and Gordon Brown will take over from him soon, and he's no where near as pro-EU as tony.

no, dont get me wrong, co-operation with the EU is essential to the uk, but it should in now way be ruled by them

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

it seems that the eu for the moment will probably not form closer ties between its member states --as the defeat of the eu constitution showed--- so the degree to which each of the states are linked may have reached its limit for the time being

i get the impression that even people you would view from the outside as being pro--- eu --- ie the french really feel the same as you about it