Muslims want sharia law in UK

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Poll reveals 40pc of Muslims want sharia law in UK
By Patrick Hennessy and Melissa Kite
(Filed: 19/02/2006)

Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.

The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

Overall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still say they feel loyal to Britain.

The results of the poll, conducted for the Sunday Telegraph, came as thousands of Muslims staged a fresh protest in London yesterday against the publication of cartoons of Mohammed. In Libya, at least 10 people died in protests linked to the caricatures.

And in Pakistan, a cleric was reported to have put a $1 million (£575,000) bounty on the head of the Danish cartoonist who drew the original pictures.

Last night, Sadiq Khan, the Labour MP involved with the official task force set up after the July attacks, said the findings were "alarming". He added: "Vast numbers of Muslims feel disengaged and alienated from mainstream British society." Sir Iqbal Sacranie, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: "This poll confirms the widespread opposition among British Muslims to the so-called war on terror."

The most startling finding is the high level of support for applying sharia law in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain.

Islamic law is used in large parts of the Middle East, including Iran and Saudi Arabia, and is enforced by religious police. Special courts can hand down harsh punishments which can include stoning and amputation.

Forty per cent of the British Muslims surveyed said they backed introducing sharia in parts of Britain, while 41 per cent opposed it. Twenty per cent felt sympathy with the July 7 bombers' motives, and 75 per cent did not. One per cent felt the attacks were "right".

Nearly two thirds thought the video images shown last week of British troops beating Iraqi youths were symptomatic of a wider problem in Iraq. Half did not think the soldiers would be "appropriately punished".

Half of the 500 people surveyed said relations between white Britons and Muslims were getting worse. Only just over half thought the conviction of the cleric Abu Hamza for incitement to murder and race hatred was fair.

Mr Khan, the MP for Tooting, said: "We must redouble our efforts to bring Muslims on board with the mainstream community. For all the efforts made since last July, things do not have appear to have got better."

He agreed with Sir Iqbal that the poll showed Muslims still had a "big gripe" about foreign policy, particularly over the war on terror and Iraq.

David Davis, the shadow home secretary, said: "It shows we have a long way to go to win the battle of ideas within some parts of the Muslim community and why it is absolutely vital that we reinforce the voice of moderate Islam wherever possible."

A spokesman for Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, said: "It is critically important to ensure that Muslims, and all faiths, feel part of modern British society. Today's survey indicates we still have a long way to go… [but] we are committed to working with all faiths to ensure we achieve that end."

Telegraph - Link

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Muslims want sharia l

40 percent. I bet a distinct majority of men and a very small minority of women.

They were going to use it in Ontario, for family law, but thankfully it got shot down.

I saw a discussion on TVO between a pro Sharia Muslim man and an anti Sharia Muslim woman. Frankly it was chilling. He was mean and condescending towards her, basically telling her that if she were a good Muslim she would want Sharia, then asking the host why there was a problem when Sharia would be voluntary???

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Muslims want sharia l

I dont mean to be rude or offensive, but the UK is a christian country, for pity's sake, Augustus was trained here (probably born here) as a roman soldier, u know the story, he went on to become emperor and change rome to a christian empire, for goodness sake, ok, we have minorities, but they should respect the overwhelming history and religion of the country that so kindly put them up, fed them, clothed them and allowed many to make a decent living, I've been to the middle east, god their poor there, they have no rights, they couldnt express this kind of hatred for their government......why the hell should the western society have to put up with what are overwhelmingly rich (compared to their homelands) foreigners with a foreign religion telling them to change their laws, if you want Sharia law, go to Iran, or Saudi Arabia.

God it makes me soooooo mad, I see all these poor poor people in india and the middle east with NOTHING, no home, no money, almost no food, and definatly no free speech...GOD THEY DONT KNOW THEIR BORN ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Muslims want sharia law in UK

Toro said:
I wonder when they're going to clamp down on immigration in Europe? On 60 Minutes last night, they reported that attitudes on immigration have really hardened in Denmark.

and rightfully so...if I was a citizen of Denmark I would be against immigration from muslim nations too

we have minorities, but they should respect the overwhelming history and religion of the country that so kindly put them up, fed them, clothed them and allowed many to make a decent living

yes, but the illogical lefties will disagree. :roll:

Canada is a christian country too, NO SHARIA or any other primitive foreign laws should ever be introduced into this country.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
So Hank, if what you are suggesting is universal you must think Canada should convert to Native American laws and religions since it is they who put up with the Europeans coming here.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Yep, this difference between the cultures is going
to get fought on a very primitive level, with one
advantage for us: we are learning more about them
and continue to seek more knowlege about them than
they are finding out about who we are.

Also they aren't getting over the hump of self-ridicule,
the hump of handling insults. They feel that
we don't understand how bad that type of culture is.

They like to tell themselves that we don't understand:
that our western concepts do not apply nor explain
what they follow.

It's a nice conceit.

And in this case, the word conceit, is used as a literary
term to describe a device a writer uses to get you
to believe the premise of his/her story.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Hank C said:
Canada is a christian country too, NO SHARIA or any other primitive foreign laws should ever be introduced into this country.

Jewish Law was a legal alternative until recently. I'm not sure if has been abolished. I do know the Jewish community wasn't impressed.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Church and State never the two shall meet. A small segment of Society should not be allowed to use Religious Laws as a functioning system in a free Society. Sharia law is sexist, cruel, and benifits only one section of Muslims--the males. I watched a documentary on Sunday that showed what happens to women under Sharia law, the hospitals in Pakastan are full of women/female children who have had acid or bleach throw in their faces, women that were set on fire by their husbands for infractions under Sharia law. Most of these women and children died. One man that was interviewed shot his wife and killed her for looking at him in a manner he found offensive, he mounted the gun that he used to kill her on the wall as a trophy. He was sentenced to two years in jail but his family paid off Govenment Officials and he spent no time in jail. He pointed to a cow in a field and said he could never harm the cow but his wife was nothing.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

Hank C said:

I would say Canada is secular democracy, with a separation of Church and State and that no religious laws from any religion should be introduced.

The religion of some should not be law for everyone. Regardless if that religion is Islam, Christianity, Budhism.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

the caracal kid said:
So Hank, if what you are suggesting is universal you must think Canada should convert to Native American laws and religions since it is they who put up with the Europeans coming here.

....ohhh burnt me

Nah....you have a point though, even if it will never be recognized. We have created this country though, as this land was not Canada till the arrival of the white man.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
....oh burnt me
---------------------------------Hank C------

LOL !!!

Maybe it's a barren day, but that wins quote of the day.

High marks for disarming charm, self-deprecation,
amusement and high drama.

oh

yeah

kind of a barren day...

...oh burnt me

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I wonder about western society tho....

How many of us are used to welcoming and accepting and expecting to share our culture and learn new cultures ourselves.
Immigration has always been the backbone of the new nations - and even the wise and elderly European nations who also welcomed muslims into their society, have met with violence for no reason at all other than the mad mullah's fantastic directives.

The expectation that we are weak and will allow Islamics to insist on our adoption of their ways "because of their religious beliefs" may cause a tear in our fabric of security and lifestyle.

We in the west aren't used to condemnation of any religious belief and to date Europeans have found themselves outwitted by the unbelievable disregard for human life being perpetrated in their cities. Are we in the new world next?

With the U.S. opening up the sea ports to Arabian companies, it would seem to me we again are bowing to and allowing "trust" to guide us ....which I believe is terribly misplaced at this time in our history.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Said1 said:
Hank C said:

Jewish Law was a legal alternative until recently. I'm not sure if has been abolished. I do know the Jewish community wasn't impressed.

If you're speaking of Ontario, yes, it has been abolished. It used to be that Ontario Law would recognize decisions of arbitrators applying Jewish family and civil law. The controversy over Muslims demanding the same consideration for Sharia unearthed the overwhelming sentiment among Ontarians that we should be one people, governed by one law. So they pulled the plug on religious arbitration altogether.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Hank C said:
yes, but the illogical lefties will disagree. :roll: .

Clishe.

Hank C said:

Canada is a Christian country? Please define that. For the last thirty to fifty thousand years, Canada probably followed Native Spirituality. Christianity is a recent import, still not the official religion yet, and probably declining from my own observations (even I was born Christian but never adopted it). So I really don't understand what you mean here.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

the caracal kid said:

Good point.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Machjo said:
Canada is a Christian country? Please define that. For the last thirty to fifty thousand years, Canada probably followed Native Spirituality. Christianity is a recent import, still not the official religion yet, and probably declining from my own observations (even I was born Christian but never adopted it). So I really don't understand what you mean here.

Canada was not a country thirty to fifty thousand years ago.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

the caracal kid said:

I could live with that. Native law is very fair and progressive, and the spirituality is full of peace and grace as well.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Hank C said:
Machjo said:

Canada was not a country thirty to fifty thousand years ago.

If it wasn,t somebodys country Hank what was it ? :lol: