UAE Firms to Operate U.S. Sea Ports

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Lifted from Michelle Malkin's blog

She has quite a finding of material on her blog about this approval of foreign investment....regarding the six ports in the U.S. One reader summed up the news well....

www.michellemalkin.com (can be viewed at site)
STOP THE PORT SELLOUT
By Michelle Malkin · February 16, 2006 10:10 PM

Reader Brad R.:

The government's Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States has approved a deal that will put six major ports in the United States under the control of a state-sponsored company based in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.
This is unbelievable. The country's ports should not be owned by foreign governments; much less governments whose territories are favored by al-Qaeda.

I don't think our ports should even be operated by a country-sponsored company of our closest ally. I am a conservative and I would even raise taxes for this type of issue (but I would rather the funding come from sound fiscal policy).

How can this decision be good for our National Security? How can this be good policy? Mr President, please do not let this Port-deal happen. The Buck Stops at the White House and the President's Desk!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: UAE Firms to Operate U.S. Sea Ports

the caracal kid said:
welcome to the global free market economy.

Good point....we need to buy up all of China and Russias ports.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: UAE Firms to Operate

if the company can efficiently manage the ports and maintain them then its good for the staes, too much state control leads to inefficiency.

plus I believe they arent selling the property its on a long-term lease which means ownership still lies within the domestic arena.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Rush Limbaugh had a really good take on this on his show today. I caught some of it.....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well, I dunno. I always thought Limbaugh was an idiot, and I guess I still do. Since he feels free to call Carter an idiot, I'm free to call him an idiot in public, too.

Limbaugh refers to the Art of War, and defeating your enemy by making them your "friend", but he doesn't see that maybe, in this port deal, the US is on the wrong end of the idea.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Let's not lump all Arab countries together. UAE is different from Saudi Arabia, which is different from Iraq and Afghanistan.

That being said, why on Earth would they allow a foreign nation to control their ports of entry. Even if they got Canada, an ally, to do it, it would be unwise.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

DasFX said:
That being said, why on Earth would they allow a foreign nation to control their ports of entry. Even if they got Canada, an ally, to do it, it would be unwise.

Canadians safeguard the lives of American citizens routinely with NORAD, if we can trust you with American airspace we can trust you with our ports.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

I think not said:
Canadians safeguard the lives of American citizens routinely with NORAD, if we can trust you with American airspace we can trust you with our ports.

We already have trusted the US in our North for many years as they had DEW Lines stationed throughout the northern communities....I think there's only one now. Most of them shut down.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Jay said:
Rush Limbaugh had a really good take on this on his show today. I caught some of it.....

This is great...I'm listening to Limbaugh again today. He has a great take on this port deal. I'm sure it would suprise the Limbaugh dislikers out there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I think the DP deal is great and should be approved and implimented as soon as possible, it,s not a threat to national security it,s just good bussiness. ha/ha/ha/cough/sputter/ha/ha/cough/squeek

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Darkbeaver has a point, and besides, it's not actually just the US that this deal concerns, the take over also concerns my home town port of Southampton, which will also be run by this company, so once again, it is not purely a US issue

outspoken2

Feb 19, 2006
Having Arabs watch United States seaports is like "Having the fox guard the henhouse". Doesn't make much sense.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
More discussion on the topic

http://tks.nationalreview.com/archives/091037.asp

TKS [ jim geraghty reporting ]
[ home | archives | email ]

AN ORGANIZED DISINFORMATION CAMPAIGN ON THE PORT DEAL

My friends, there is an organized disinformation campaign going on in the discussion of the Dubai Ports World deal. Draw whatever conclusions you wish about whether the deal is worthwhile, but please do not buy into these blatant misrepresentations, and please don’t spread them in your discussions.

Clearly, this is a hot-button issue, and there are plenty of reasons for concern in the UAE’s past behavior, particularly before 9/11. Of course, we’re hearing from guys like Ret. Gen. Tommy Franks and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Peter Pace that UAE is “a friend” and “very, very solid partners” in the war on terror. And Sen. John Warner observed that the U.S. military has docked more than 500 ships in the past year in the UAE and uses their airfields to perform support missions for both Afghanistan and Iraq. But some folks still feel as if they can’t trust the UAE, and/or they want a fuller review. Fair enough. I don’t begrudge someone for having concerns about this deal.

However, I do begrudge someone for not having their facts straight. And long after I, and many others, pointed out that this deal is significantly different than what we were initially told, a particular group of people continue to dramatically misrepresent – aw, hell, let’s call it what it is – continue to lie about what it entails.

There are plenty of folks on the GOP side of the aisle repeating and spreading the lies. But check out the comments on the other side of the aisle.>>>>>>>>>>>> continued