Great War of 2007

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The origins of the Great War of 2007 - and how it could have been prevented

By Niall Ferguson
(Filed: 15/01/2006)

Are we living through the origins of the next world war? Certainly, it is easy to imagine how a future historian might deal with the next phase of events in the Middle East:

With every passing year after the turn of the century, the instability of the Gulf region grew. By the beginning of 2006, nearly all the combustible ingredients for a conflict - far bigger in its scale and scope than the wars of 1991 or 2003 - were in place.

The first underlying cause of the war was the increase in the region's relative importance as a source of petroleum. On the one hand, the rest of the world's oil reserves were being rapidly exhausted. On the other, the breakneck growth of the Asian economies had caused a huge surge in global demand for energy. It is hard to believe today, but for most of the 1990s the price of oil had averaged less than $20 a barrel.

A second precondition of war was demographic. While European fertility had fallen below the natural replacement rate in the 1970s, the decline in the Islamic world had been much slower. By the late 1990s the fertility rate in the eight Muslim countries to the south and east of the European Union was two and half times higher than the European figure.

This tendency was especially pronounced in Iran, where the social conservatism of the 1979 Revolution - which had lowered the age of marriage and prohibited contraception - combined with the high mortality of the Iran-Iraq War and the subsequent baby boom to produce, by the first decade of the new century, a quite extraordinary surplus of young men. More than two fifths of the population of Iran in 1995 had been aged 14 or younger. This was the generation that was ready to fight in 2007.

This not only gave Islamic societies a youthful energy that contrasted markedly with the slothful senescence of Europe. It also signified a profound shift in the balance of world population. In 1950, there had three times as many people in Britain as in Iran. By 1995, the population of Iran had overtaken that of Britain and was forecast to be 50 per cent higher by 2050.

Yet people in the West struggled to grasp the implications of this shift. Subliminally, they still thought of the Middle East as a region they could lord it over, as they had in the mid-20th century.

The third and perhaps most important precondition for war was cultural. Since 1979, not just Iran but the greater part of the Muslim world had been swept by a wave of religious fervour, the very opposite of the process of secularisation that was emptying Europe's churches.

Although few countries followed Iran down the road to full-blown theocracy, there was a transformation in politics everywhere. From Morocco to Pakistan, the feudal dynasties or military strongmen who had dominated Islamic politics since the 1950s came under intense pressure from religious radicals.

The ideological cocktail that produced 'Islamism' was as potent as either of the extreme ideologies the West had produced in the previous century, communism and fascism. Islamism was anti-Western, anti-capitalist and anti-Semitic. A seminal moment was the Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's intemperate attack on Israel in December 2005, when he called the Holocaust a 'myth'. The state of Israel was a 'disgraceful blot', he had previously declared, to be wiped 'off the map'.

Prior to 2007, the Islamists had seen no alternative but to wage war against their enemies by means of terrorism. From the Gaza to Manhattan, the hero of 2001 was the suicide bomber. Yet Ahmadinejad, a veteran of the Iran-Iraq War, craved a more serious weapon than strapped-on explosives. His decision to accelerate Iran's nuclear weapons programme was intended to give Iran the kind of power North Korea already wielded in East Asia: the power to defy the United States; the power to obliterate America's closest regional ally.

Under different circumstances, it would not have been difficult to thwart Ahmadinejad's ambitions. The Israelis had shown themselves capable of pre-emptive air strikes against Iraq's nuclear facilities in 1981. Similar strikes against Iran's were urged on President Bush by neo-conservative commentators throughout 2006. The United States, they argued, was perfectly placed to carry out such strikes. It had the bases in neighbouring Iraq and Afghanistan. It had the intelligence proving Iran's contravention of the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

But the President was advised by his Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, to opt instead for diplomacy. Not just European opinion but American opinion was strongly opposed to an attack on Iran. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 had been discredited by the failure to find the weapons of mass destruction Saddam Hussein had supposedly possessed and by the failure of the US-led coalition to quell a bloody insurgency.

Americans did not want to increase their military commitments overseas; they wanted to reduce them. Europeans did not want to hear that Iran was about to build its own WMD. Even if Ahmad-inejad had broadcast a nuclear test live on CNN, liberals would have said it was a CIA con-trick.

So history repeated itself. As in the 1930s, an anti-Semitic demagogue broke his country's treaty obligations and armed for war. Having first tried appeasement, offering the Iranians economic incentives to desist, the West appealed to international agencies - the International Atomic Energy Agency and the United Nations Security Council. Thanks to China's veto, however, the UN produced nothing but empty resolutions and ineffectual sanctions, like the exclusion of Iran from the 2006 World Cup finals.

Only one man might have stiffened President Bush's resolve in the crisis: not Tony Blair, he had wrecked his domestic credibility over Iraq and was in any case on the point of retirement - Ariel Sharon. Yet he had been struck down by a stroke as the Iranian crisis came to a head. With Israel leaderless, Ahmadinejad had a free hand.

As in the 1930s, too, the West fell back on wishful thinking. Perhaps, some said, Ahmadinejad was only sabre-rattling because his domestic position was so weak. Perhaps his political rivals in the Iranian clergy were on the point of getting rid of him. In that case, the last thing the West should do was to take a tough line; that would only bolster Ahmadinejad by inflaming Iranian popular feeling. So in Washington and in London people crossed their fingers, hoping for the deus ex machina of a home-grown regime change in Teheran.

This gave the Iranians all the time they needed to produce weapons-grade enriched uranium at Natanz. The dream of nuclear non-proliferation, already interrupted by Israel, Pakistan and India, was definitively shattered. Now Teheran had a nuclear missile pointed at Tel-Aviv. And the new Israeli government of Benjamin Netanyahu had a missile pointed right back at Teheran.

The optimists argued that the Cuban Missile Crisis would replay itself in the Middle East. Both sides would threaten war - and then both sides would blink. That was Secretary Rice's hope - indeed, her prayer - as she shuttled between the capitals. But it was not to be.

The devastating nuclear exchange of August 2007 represented not only the failure of diplomacy, it marked the end of the oil age. Some even said it marked the twilight of the West. Certainly, that was one way of interpreting the subsequent spread of the conflict as Iraq's Shi'ite population overran the remaining American bases in their country and the Chinese threatened to intervene on the side of Teheran.

Yet the historian is bound to ask whether or not the true significance of the 2007-2011 war was to vindicate the Bush administration's original principle of pre-emption. For, if that principle had been adhered to in 2006, Iran's nuclear bid might have been thwarted at minimal cost. And the Great Gulf War might never have happened.

• Niall Ferguson is Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University www.niallferguson.org

Link

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
A good read, good indeed. If a 3rd World War ever did occur, Western Nations versus Middle Eastern Nations, it'd be an ass-kicking of epic proportions for the Arabs.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
Re: RE: Great War of 2007

Mogz said:
A good read, good indeed. If a 3rd World War ever did occur, Western Nations versus Middle Eastern Nations, it'd be an ass-kicking of epic proportions for the Arabs.

and where would the US get all its oil from? Mind you during the Golf war the amount of oil used up was so great they had to import oil from tankers in singapore so I wouldnt count on it.

military to military I agree but economically the US would collapse in on itself before the war even began.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
one of the great mistakes of those plotting war is to underestimate the strength and resolve of their planned enemy.

religion is a far stronger uniter when channeled against a "common enemy" than anything the west currently has as a counter.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Every day that passes I feel worse and worse about Iran. If they proceed to build their nukes I don't know if we have any other options, other than going on the offense and destroying their capabilities. Sad thing is that if a nuclear weapon is used by Iran everyone will blame the US (for not doing anything or provoking) ... but if they are disarmed, the Liberals will blame the US for attacking the "innocent" government. I don't know what the answer is, but it would help if the whole world pitched in to disarm, the US can't do it alone.

The thing about Iraq was that it tarnished American credibility to the point that the whole world WILL oppose any preemptive attack.........which may in turn cause unintentional disastrous effects.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I don't see a "great war" happening as there are many things at play here, like the balancing of Power with China and Russia. The USA I would highly doubt would not get caught up in such a costly war allowing China (most likely) to become a super power they would not get involved in this conflic. Also Russia would also stand in as becoming a superpower again. Though it has a islamic war at home it has been supportive of the islamic world in the past and shows no real signs of entering a pan-islamic war. The USA at war on so many fronts would also allow nations like North Korea to possibly explote the situation and take South Korea and decimate the American troops still in the area. I would be very suprised if the American's could stay as a super power if this war were to every happen. With there in ability to passiffy Iraq, one of the most seculer nations in the area, could you see Iran or Arbia being any better?

Nope the best thing the American's can do to keep there status is to work in the middle east with diplomacy.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I think all western countries need to come to an agreement (Canada included) to take preemptive action against Iran if it is PROVEN they are developing a nuclear weapon.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
and where would the US get all its oil from? Mind you during the Golf war the amount of oil used up was so great they had to import oil from tankers in singapore so I wouldnt count on it.

military to military I agree but economically the US would collapse in on itself before the war even began.

Ever hear of war rationing? During World War II common items such as rubber were reserved for military use only. If we ever entered in to a major war with the Muslim world, you could bet oil would be restricted to military use only. As for the U.S. economy, it doesn't revolve around petrolium products, you're thinking of the arab nations that rely on their exportation of oil and the like. The U.S. and Western economies would be fine.

one of the great mistakes of those plotting war is to underestimate the strength and resolve of their planned enemy.

religion is a far stronger uniter when channeled against a "common enemy" than anything the west currently has as a counter.

Oh? So a religious demonstration is more powerful than a tomahawk cruise missile? I'm sorry Caracal but you're, as usual, out to lunch. You're basing your opinion on what is happening in a three block war scenario in Iraq. The U.S. isn't going all out to kick ass on every streeth corner, they're trying to prevent casualties. If we went to war with Iran over nuclear weapons you'd bet we'd pull out all the stops. There's a big difference between full conventional warfare and a policing action. You can be the most religiously idealogical nation on the planet, but if another nation that is more powerful is bent on UTTERLY conquering you (the U.S. is not trying to utterly conquer Iraq), then your days are numbered. All the praying to allah won't stop coalition troops from kicing down your door and putting two in your chest.

I don't know what the answer is, but it would help if the whole world pitched in to disarm, the US can't do it alone.

I wouldn't be too worried Hank, if it comes to it the powers of the West will step in and if needed take away nuclear capability from Iran.

if war does break, we wil all loose. as soon as any nuclear superpower feels that it will loose the war, bye-bye everybody

Nothing to fear in that regard. The only nations with nuclear capabilites would be the ones doing the invading :)

I don't see a "great war" happening as there are many things at play here, like the balancing of Power with China and Russia. The USA I would highly doubt would not get caught up in such a costly war allowing China (most likely) to become a super power they would not get involved in this conflic. Also Russia would also stand in as becoming a superpower again. Though it has a islamic war at home it has been supportive of the islamic world in the past and shows no real signs of entering a pan-islamic war. The USA at war on so many fronts would also allow nations like North Korea to possibly explote the situation and take South Korea and decimate the American troops still in the area. I would be very suprised if the American's could stay as a super power if this war were to every happen. With there in ability to passiffy Iraq, one of the most seculer nations in the area, could you see Iran or Arbia being any better?

Nope the best thing the American's can do to keep there status is to work in the middle east with diplomacy.

Russia will not become a super power, nor will China, simply because the U.S. enters a war. China will never become a super power while it is communist. It represses it's people, which are their chief source of production. AS for Russia, they're still recovering what the damage communism did to their nation. While the Russian military is indeed still large and very dangerous, their economical and political capabilites aren't even remotely close to what they were at the height of the Cold War. North Korea will not be able to take South Korea short of using weapons of mass destruction. The South Koreas simply have better training, better equipment, and millions of dollars worth of defensive preparations, including the Worlds largest minefield. A war with South Korea (unsupported by China) would simply be too costly economically for North Korea to win. Lastly when it comes to Iraq, the U.S. is fighting a three block war in Iraq, a war nothing like a full convetional war, such as the case would be against Iran. The U.S. in Iraq is trying to minimize civilian casualties and therefore has it's hands tied as to what it can and cannot do to achieve victory. If they engaged Iran to stop nuclear production, it would be fast, furious, and bloody, with no consideration paid to the civilian aspect.

Diplomacy will never work in the Middle East. The entire region is full of socially blind fundamentalists that don't have a credible place in the 21st Century. These people are so out of touch with the rest of the World that they cannot be negotiated with due to their religious zeal. Nope, the only thing arabs understand is action, and that sort of action the U.S. and it's allies could dish out in full if they had to against Iran.

I think all western countries need to come to an agreement (Canada included) to take preemptive action against Iran if it is PROVEN they are developing a nuclear weapon.

You're right, the West cannot sit around and wait until Iran has a fully functional nuclear warhead before they act. However as i've said, if the West decides to invade Iran to overthrow the Government and dismantle a nuclear program, the assault would be fast, furious, and bloody. It would be a lot like the start of the War in the Balkans, when we stomped Serbian in to submission back in '98-'99. 2 weeks of constant air strikes against everything from bridges to military compounds. Then a massive invasion force coming in from both Iraq and Afghanistan. The goal would be to capture Tehran and knock out any nuclear enriching sites as well as missile launch silos. It would be over in weeks, just like the ground war portion of the Iraq War.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
mogz,

it is you that is out to lunch. look at history for examples. my post was not based on Iraq at all.

Well...we BOTH can't be out to lunch...and i'm roguishly handsome, not to mention right. I'm not 100% sure here, but....but I think you're out to lunch. Then again I could be wrong, it happened once...back in 1997 :D

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
What the hell are you talking about? The German Army fought literally to the last in Berlin against the Red Army. Hell soldiers even fought on the steps of the Reichstag. Does that seem like a mentally defeated Army? Even after the allies stomped the Germans at the Battle of the Scheldt and at the Battle of the Bulge (their last offensive of the War) they still fought on. Even after the war was "technically" over, German units kept fighting because they believed it to be an Allied trick. It actually took field officers of the Germany Army to force some units (especially the 12th SS Panzer Division) to surrender. No, the German Army was never mentally defeat, with units like the Hitlerjugen, the SS, and the Fallschirmjager, German mental defeat was next to impossible. They lost because they no longer had the means to sustain a war against the Allies, they lost due to logistics.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Perhaps you missed the parts where senior officers had turned on the reich? The reich was decaying from within for a variety of reasons and this led to difficulties within the military structure. Yes, there were logistics errors as well as others, which helped to undermine the morale of senior and mid level officers.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I'm 1/2 in the bag so excuse the spelling/grammar:

Perhaps you missed the parts where senior officers had turned on the reich? The reich was decaying from within for a variety of reasons and this led to difficulties within the military structure. Yes, there were logistics errors as well as others, which helped to undermine the morale of senior and mid level officers.

You're totally quantifying. The actions of a few senior individuals hardly constitutes a total mental breakdown, and thus will to fight, in the Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, and the Landser. Yes senior members of the military attempted to take Hitlers life in '44, and failed, and yes at the end of the war they forced some of their men to surrender. However these people were the exception not the rule. You speak of senior officers turning on the Reich, however clearly fail to understand that the vast majority of all TRULY SENIOR members of the Deutsches Militar were high-ranking NAZI party officials pre-war. These people were fanatical, not to mention wanted for war crimes, therefore had no intention of ever surrendering. On May 8th, 1945 (Victory in Europe) the Deutsches Militar (German Military) was still a fully functional force of highly-seasoned, highly-trained, highly equipped, and highly motivated soldiers. Their defeat was not due to a lack of supplies, however granted supplies were often thin, and at times on the Russian Frony non-existent. Their defeat was not due to a shortage of manpower. The Landser (Army), at the signing of the cease-fire numbered in the neighbourhood of 7 million men combat effective, the Kriegsmarine still could float some 300 or so U-boats (down from 1900 at the height of their power) and a smattering of surface vessels. The Lufftwaffe I will concede was beaten, and if any branch of the military was suffering from mental defeat it was the Air Force, having less than 100 combat effective aircraft in the Spring of '45. Lastly their defeat was not due to their capabilites as fighting men. The German Army was well seasoned after 6 years of fighting and their S.S. Divisions were crack, to say the least. Their military material was far superior to the Allies, and their moral was very high all things considered. No, in the end they were defeated by an overwhelming crush of Allied Forces. In the West alone the Allied Armies numbered as follows (these are ballparks i'm remembering from college):

The United States: 4.5 Million
Britain: 3 Million
Canada: 1.1 Million (This is roughly bang-on)
France: 1 Million

Keep in mind this is the allied force strength (land) in the West alone. This does not count Allied Forces fighting on the Russian Front or in the Pacific. Compare the 10 or so Million ground troops in the West versus the German Armys complete manpower of 7 million and you can see how they were over-come (Russia fielded somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 million men in it's Army alone). This sheer wave of forces following the Battle of the Bulge caused the German military to retreat faster than their supplies could accomodate for. Even though they had plenty of munitions and supplies in stock, often the supply Corp wouldn't know where a given unit was, thus making resupply impossible. That's why they lost, sheer numbers and a total breakdown in their logistical train.