Iran Renames Danish Pastries

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w021639A.xml

Shades of freedom fries: Iran renames danish pastries over cartoon controversy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iranians love Danish pastries, but now when they look for the flaky dessert at the bakery they have to ask for "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad."

Bakeries across the capital were covering up their ads for danish pastries Thursday after the confectioners union ordered the name change in retaliation for cartoons of Islam's revered Prophet first published in a Danish newspaper.

The move was reminiscent of a decision by the US House of Representatives in 2004 to rename french fries as "freedom fries" after France refused to back the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

"Given the insults by Danish newspapers against the prophet, as of now the name of Danish pastries will give way to Rose of Mohammad' pastries," the confectioners union said in its order.

"This is a punishment for those who started misusing freedom of expression to insult the sanctities of Islam," said Ahmad Mahmoudi, a cake-shop owner in northern Tehran.

One of Tehran's most popular bakeries, named Danish Patries, covered up the word Danish on its sign with a black banner emblazoned Oh Hussein, a reference to a martyred saint of Shiite Islam. The banner is a traditional sign of mourning.

The shop owner refused to speak, reluctant to be drawn into discussion over the issue.

In Zartosht street in central Tehran, cake shop owner Mahdi Pedari didn't cover up the words "danish pastries" on his menu, but put the new name next to it.

"I did so just to inform my customers that Rose of Mohammad is the new name for danish pastries," he said.

Some customers took immediately to the new name. But others asked for "roses of Muhammad" - "gul-e-muhammadi" in Farsi - with a laugh or even with sarcasm, apparently unenthused about the new form of protest.

"I just want the sweet pastries. I have nothing to do with the name," housewife Zohreh Masoumi told the man at the counter in one shop.

Iranians are big sweets eaters, often buying candies and pastries to bring to parties. While there are many types of Iranian-style sweets, danish patries - flaky pastry with fruit or chocolate between the layers - are extremely popular.

The pastries are domestically baked, not imported. Iran has cut all commercial ties with Denmark.

The cartoons, first published in Denmark in September then reprinted by other western newspapers over the last month as a support for freedom of expression - have sparked sometimes violent protests in Iran as well as demonstrations across the Islamic world, where they were seen as an insult to the Prophet.

©The Canadian Press, 2006

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I couldn't do that I am left handed and Muslims aren't allowed to eat with their left hand.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iranians love Danish pastries, but now when they look for the flaky dessert at the bakery they have to ask for "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad."

Is it ironic that the gift of tasty pastries worthy of the name "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad" was given to them by the Danish?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Now the Germans pissed them off too.
TAGESSPIEGEL"-CARTOON
Empörung vom Hörensagen

Von Henryk M. Broder

Damit hatte Klaus Stuttmann nicht gerechnet: Seine "Tagesspiegel"-Karikatur, die auf den WM-Einsatz der Bundeswehr abzielen sollte, sorgt in Iran und bei Exiliranern für Empörung. Inzwischen gibt es Wut-Mails und Morddrohungen gegen den Zeichner - meist von Leuten, die das Bild nicht gesehen haben.

Additional violent protests were seen in Iran on Tuesday as dozens of Iranian students attacked the German Embassy in Tehran with Molotov thingytails. While German facilities had emerged largely unscathed by cartoon-related protests so far, the publishing last Friday of a caricature depicting the Iranian national soccer team as suicide bombers in the Berlin daily Der Tagesspiegel has nerves raw once again. "Germany, you are Fascists and the willful servants of Zionism," the students chanted.

The cartoonist responsible for the caricature, Klaus Stuttmann, has received a number of death threats since Friday and has moved out of his Berlin apartment for safety reasons. The Iranian Embassy has sent the paper a letter of protest calling the cartoon "tactless" and demanded an apology. The paper has said the cartoon was misinterpreted and that it is protected by the freedom of the press.

CARTOON VIOLENCE
Iranian Soccer Team Joins Muhammad
How to defuse cartoon-related violence? Definitely not by publishing more offensive cartoons. The German embassy in Tehran came under attack on Tuesday after a German paper did just that. And in Pakistan, a protest got out of control.
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,400915,00.html

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,400784,00.html

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,400795,00.html

*edit links

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sassylassie said:
I couldn't do that I am left handed and Muslims aren't allowed to eat with their left hand.

Actually that has nothing to do with Islam. If I'm not mistaken, it simply relates to certain cultures in which historically the left hand was used for... hummm... certain cleaning purposes.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Jay said:

Is it ironic that the gift of tasty pastries worthy of the name "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad" was given to them by the Danish?

Well technically, it didn't specify the prophet. Muhammad is a very common name. For all we know, it was named after the guy in the bakers' union who came up with the idea.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This this whole thing is just as silly as the Freedom Fries episode; I can understand why some Persians reacted to it with laughter or sarcasm.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Iran Renames Danish P

I love how the Muslims are single handedly pissing off every moderate in the World; Denmark, Norway, France, Germany. Yup that's what you want to do, when your lands are already over flowing with coalition troops, lets burn down the embassies of the countries that didn't go to war in Iraq. Smart move lads, real smart. I'm a big supporter of social darwinism, the strongest will survive, at this rate the World is going to be muslim free by 2010.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Machjo said:
Sassylassie said:

Actually that has nothing to do with Islam. If I'm not mistaken, it simply relates to certain cultures in which historically the left hand was used for... hummm... certain cleaning purposes.

What they dont have toilet paper in the middle east? they use their hands 8O

no wonder they are burning down embassies and beheading infidels!!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
zoofer said:
Now the Germans pissed them off too.

Well, as long as the Germans don't piss off the Americans, hamburgers could end up being renamed Daffodils of Detroit.

<edited because I'm tired and can't get my verbs unknotted>

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Iran Renames Danish P

Mogz said:
I love how the Muslims are single handedly pissing off every moderate in the World; Denmark, Norway, France, Germany. Yup that's what you want to do, when your lands are already over flowing with coalition troops, lets burn down the embassies of the countries that didn't go to war in Iraq. Smart move lads, real smart. I'm a big supporter of social darwinism, the strongest will survive, at this rate the World is going to be muslim free by 2010.

Common sense has never been their forte over in the middle east. How else can you explain a country like Israel kicking their azzes over and over and over again.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hank C said:
Machjo said:
Sassylassie said:

I don't know if they still do, but if I'm not mystaken (and I could be) I believe that is how the tradition started. I'd immagine they have toilet paper by now, but maybe just continue avoiding touching things with the left hand out of tradition. Or it's always possible that the poorer segments of the population still use their hands and then wash them after. But we'd need someone with more knowledge about this to confirm whether my supposition is correct or not. So don't jusmp to conclusions yet. All I know is that this has nothing to do with Islam.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Iran Renames Danish P

trust me ppl.....they DEFINATLY dont have toilet paper in arabic and middle eastern countries, they use a system of water and hand.

They do it in india too, you do it with ur left hand, thats why they eat with their right, oh and never shake em by their left hand. You should see the train toilets...placemats for ur feet, a hose and........nothing else....it's all true, I've seen it

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Hank C said:

Yes, they don't use toilet paper. Not just in the ME, In india, they mostly do not use toilet paper. When we go, we bring it special from Canada.

Left hand and food is a big no, no!