Pacific islanders decide destiny.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The inhabitants of the tiny territory of Tokelau in the South Pacific, which is ruled by New Zealand, are voting whether or not to become an independent, and the world's newest, nation.

At only 4.7 sq miles (12 sq km) in size, Tokelau would become the world's 3rd smallest nation on Earth ahead of only Monaco and the Vatican City (so small, it's completely surrounded by Rome) -

Pacific islanders decide destiny

The tiny South Pacific territory of Tokelau is voting on whether to become one of the world's smallest self-governing states.

The 1,500 islanders are holding a referendum, which could reclaim Tokelau's sovereignty for the first time in 120 years.

Tokelau - made up of three coral atolls which have no airport, roads or capital - has been governed by New Zealand.

Four UN observers have made the 28-hour trip. Votes will be collected by ship.

Each island - Atafu, Nukunonu and Fakaofo - will vote on successive days. Tokelauans based in the Samoan capital Apia, some 300 miles (500km) south, voted on Saturday.

Results of the referendum are expected within five days.

'Formalised position'

Tokelau's three specks of land make up just 4.7 sq miles (12 sq km), lying halfway between Hawaii and New Zealand.

Seized by Britain in 1889, they were handed to New Zealand to administer in 1926.

With an annual income of just $2m, Tokelau could not exist without New Zealand aid, says the BBC's Greg Ward in Auckland.

The islands' 600 registered voters will decide whether Tokelau should remain a dependent territory or become self-governing, in free association with New Zealand.

New Zealand administrator for the territory, Neil Walter, said Tokelau had been in full control of its own affairs, with New Zealand support, for a number of years already.

"This act of self-determination would... simply formalise that position," he was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

The referendum has been welcomed by New Zealand's Prime Minister Helen Clark who says aid from her country is guaranteed whatever the outcome.

But some Tokelauans "question whether this is the right time" to cut free from New Zealand, says Apia-based Falani Aukuso, head of Tokelau's government service.

The three island groups of Tokelau. If it gets its independence from New Zealand, Tokelau would be the world's newest, and third-smallest, nation. Its economy is $1.5 million (compared to Britain's $2.4 trillion) and is 17 times the size of The Mall in Washington DC.

WORLD'S SMALLEST STATES

Vatican City, Europe: 0.44 sq-km (0.17 sq mile) residence of spiritual leadership of Roman Catholic church, pop. 900

Monaco, Europe: 1.95 sq-km (0.75 sq mile) playground for tourists and wealthy, pop. 32,000

Nauru, Asia-Pacific: 21 sq-km (8 sq miles) Pacific island and world's smallest republic, pop. 9,900

Tuvalu, Asia-Pacific: 26 sq-km (10 sq miles) group of nine islands in South Pacific, pop. 10,000

San Marino, Europe: 61.2 sq-km (23.6 sq miles) territory surrounded by Italy; world's second smallest republic, pop. 27,000

news.bbc.co.uk

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Pacific islanders dec

Haha no kidding, how can a place expect to survive with no airport or roads? Where will they import trade from? I presume they have a port, but how big can it really be?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Hey if Tokelau does become independent, with only 1,500 people, and only 600 people who can vote,

with my charm I would be able to woo over most of them.

Also, besides, it would be fun to run a country that is a little warmer than someplaces. :wink:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I wonder what style of Government this territory of Tokelau would choose to adopt; or would whatever governance framework they currently run under be preserved?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I wonder what style of Government this territory of Tokelau would choose to adopt; or would whatever governance framework they currently run under be preserved?

I don't know if they have worked these things out yet. However, most likely they will keep the government system that they have now until a referendum to decide what kind of government they want I guess.

Can someone find any links to this because i have been looking but haven't seen any news on this, I would expect this to be pretty big.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I wonder, if this territory were handed between the United Kingdom and New Zealand, if it would recognize Her Majesty Elizabeth II as their symbolic Head of State? And if they would opt into the Commonwealth of Nations?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So the election is planned for the 11-16, five days of voting, and islanders that have moved elsewhere in South East Asia appear to be able to vote, because they are opening a polling station in Samoa and it seems like other places as well.

So we wouldn't find out if they will be our newest nation until the 16th.