France apologises for showing Mohammed cartoons.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

With 10% of French people being Muslims, France is the Western World's biggest "Muslim nation."

France Apologies for Papers Depicting of Prophet

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:35 PM
Syrian Arab News Agency
Damascus, (SANA) –

The French ambassador in Damascus has expressed sorrow over what some French newspapers published of cartoons depicting Prophet Mohammed that caused a shock in France.

Minister of Religious Trusts Dr. Ziyad al-Ayoubi met today the French ambassador Jean- Francios Girault who told him “ we in France understand that these publications are raising Muslims’ anger and that attacking any people’s faith lacks any feelings of responsibility. We therefore call to the reason prevail and to decrease tension against what happened.”

For his part, Dr.Ayoubi said it was the people’s right to protest over what insults their religious symbols and dogma in a peaceful way noting that” it was not the right of anyone to drive out from what is familiar of our people and violate our laws, religions and ethics.”

He also called for cooperation to issue an international law prohibiting offenses against religious symbols of all religions and laws.

S. Younes.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Blackleaf said:
http://*censored*.com/images/i422/8645.543mosque_de_triomphe.jpg
With 10% of French people being Muslims, France is the Western World's biggest "Muslim nation."

France Apologies for Papers Depicting of Prophet

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:35 PM
Syrian Arab News Agency
Damascus, (SANA) –

The French ambassador in Damascus has expressed sorrow over what some French newspapers published of cartoons depicting Prophet Mohammed that caused a shock in France.

Minister of Religious Trusts Dr. Ziyad al-Ayoubi met today the French ambassador Jean- Francios Girault who told him “ we in France understand that these publications are raising Muslims’ anger and that attacking any people’s faith lacks any feelings of responsibility. We therefore call to the reason prevail and to decrease tension against what happened.”

For his part, Dr.Ayoubi said it was the people’s right to protest over what insults their religious symbols and dogma in a peaceful way noting that” it was not the right of anyone to drive out from what is familiar of our people and violate our laws, religions and ethics.”

He also called for cooperation to issue an international law prohibiting offenses against religious symbols of all religions and laws.

S. Younes.

The French are good people. They fold when the going get tough.
They just had 15000 cars burned by these nuts and now they opologize, similiar to a dog panting for a bone. If I recall they did the same thing in WW11.

Durgan.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

The cartoon above, clearly depicting the railroad to the death camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau – but with Israeli flags replacing the Nazi ones – is from the Jordanian newspaper Ad-Dustur (October 19, 2003). The sign in Arabic reads: “Gaza Strip or the Israeli Annihilation Camp.” This accentuates the widespread libel that Israel’s policies towards the Palestinians have been comparable to Nazi actions towards Jews. Jordan is supposedly a moderate country at peace with Israel.

In this cartoon, from Al-Watan newspaper in Qatar (June 23, 2002), Ariel Sharon is shown watching on the sidelines as an Israeli plane crashes into New York’s World Trade Center. The Arabic words alongside the Twin Towers are “The Peace.” This cartoon restates the widely held myth in the Arab world that Israel and the Jews were responsible for the 9/11 attacks which were in fact carried out by al-Qaeda.

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/3360

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Perhaps the reason for France's lack of political will on each and every problem is that they haven't had any clear majorities in decades & the resulting coalitions are too busy trying to wedge power than govern the country.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: France apologises for showing Mohammed cartoons.

DasFX said:
Apologize for what? What is wrong with these cartoons? I saw them, what really is the big deal? It is just a drawing.

Not to the Muslims it isn't.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Depiction of the Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h.)

We must keep the context of these cartoons in mind; they are not only a parody of the Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him); but rather, they are an affront to the faith itself — to depict the Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h.) is a serious and offensive violation of the Islamic faith, and I think that it would be appropriate for us, as members of the world stage, to be sensitive to each others' customs and to respect them.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Re: Depiction of the Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h.)

FiveParadox said:
We must keep the context of these cartoons in mind; they are not only a parody of the Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him); but rather, they are an affront to the faith itself — to depict the Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h.) is a serious and offensive violation of the Islamic faith, and I think that it would be appropriate for us, as members of the world stage, to be sensitive to each others' customs and to respect them.

Ya, ya, ya. I remember seeing two airplanes running into two buildings on 9/11. The perpetuators came some the same nut group being offended by some incomprehensible cartoons with two exceptions, which I am sure the majority never even saw. Sympathy and compassion for these people I simply don't have.
Durgan.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Durgan, you appear to continue to operate under the assumption that extremist Muslims represent the views of a majority of Muslims — I would implore you to concede that such is simply not the case. I have said it before, and I would say it again: A majority of Canada's Islamic associations have publicly denounced terrorism, and most did so in light of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: France apologises for showing Mohammed cartoons.

FiveParadox said:
Durgan, you appear to continue to operate under the assumption that extremist Muslims represent the views of a majority of Muslims — I would implore you to concede that such is simply not the case. I have said it before, and I would say it again: A majority of Canada's Islamic associations have publicly denounced terrorism, and most did so in light of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks.

Do you have the links to the statements these associations made after 9/11? Or at least some idea where they were published?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think not, no, I don't know — I am no expert in foreign law.

As for your request, sanch, I have to go start studying for Provincial examinations, so I don't have the time at the moment to hunt down any links, lol — however, I do have this, published in the United States, which at least proves that not all Muslims are bloodthirsty savages, as many here would seem to imply.

Huck

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2006
The Universe
Man, i really hate the lousy france bashing like some ive read here. "French surrender easily, they go backwards, blablabla".

The point that france apologized to the muslim is a very good thing, as the cartoons WERE offensive to the muslim as it marked a disrespect to them. I personnally dont think the cartoons were bad, but hey, im not muslim. But i know that if someone insulted me and my country, i would like to straighten things up. (ok, i wouln't take arms, but...)

France puting oil on the fire would simply create more problems, more uprising in the world, and it may even eventually begin in canada and the USA. Who knows, it could degenerate in a war, causing many more deaths. By apologizing, they accept the fact that the cartoons went to far and it demonstrates a sense of maturity , respect and will for discussion. France did the good thing, and i hope all other so called evolved country would do the same.

as a final note: for the one who said that 9/11 terror attack made him hate the musilm, please use your brain. Most of the muslims in the world dont agree at all, or are brainwashed to believe what their authorities want them to believe. I have many muslim friends and NONE of them agree with what happened. And they tell me that at their home, people dont agree, they jsut can't do anything, just like us. It's like saying Quebecers are terrorists because a few guys named themselves the FLQ 30 years back and killed a guy; non sense... :roll:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Five is right, my barber is a devout Palestinian Muslim, if I can trust him with a sharp blade on my throat....well there you go.

The alternative isn't very good for business though....

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I quite agree that it was wise of the French to
do some apology since the weeks of sudden rioting are
still fresh in their minds.

But there are situations where one must make a stand.

The mystery is to know when.

And so this old jewish holocaust joke comes to mind.

As the two jewish friends are standing in line
to the showers, neither of them knowing it is a
gas chamber, the one Jew notices his friend looking
too openly at the Nazi guards and advises: Be careful.
Look down. Don't antagonize them !!!

Huck

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2006
The Universe
jimmoyer: I agree with you. But i guess the question is what would happen if france decided to take arms instead of apologizing? It would innevitably degenerate to a war; it would be an official provocation. Then, that would inspire iran to continue, pakistan, etc. then you have all the muslims that exist in the western countries, that would turn into a cancer killing the countries from the inside like we saw during the french riots.

if we decided to stop them, it would turn into a racial elimination... *cough* nazis *cough*

its a tough situation and diplomacy is the only way to go. And obviously, up to now france and other western countries agree...

"Liberté, égalité, fraternité" - best moto in the world ;)