Bush's State of the Union

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
LOL, yeah I was channel surfing between that and the Toronto Tampa game :D

Funny though, you would think that if the oil companies rather than fighting the move away from oil dependancy, were to invest and support alternative energy sources, they just might continue to make their profits anyway....or even possibly more. Especially considering how profitable it would be to find a way to produce Hydrogen in mass quantities.

tawker

Electoral Member
RE: Bush's State of the U

Well, it's the investment in oil extracting technology they want to avoid moving from until they extract all of the revenue from oil. It's ok then to move to other energy sources.

Well, the game here is ok, 6-3 Canucks, how did you guys do.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I for one though mr Bush did a good job of the speech and he touched on some of the important issues, and stated some of the old sentiment. I would think his poll numbers will go up slightly but it wont be a huge boost.

I can honestly say that I am happy Kerry lost in 2004, I can't stand the man.....ah well that what you get from a senator who hails from Massachusetts.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Exactly what does the State of the Union do?

Is it like the Speech From the Throne, i.e., an issue of confidence? Or is it just a speech, plain and simple? Does Congress need to make any motions or votes in relation to the address?

Virtual Burlesque

Nominee Member
Feb 19, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: Bush's State of the Union

FiveParadox said:
In recent years it gives Dick Cheney an opportunity to perform his ventriloquism act.

Virtual Burlesque ... FYI, I deleted your avatar. Little racey for CanCon. ;) Interesting, tho. Cosmo

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Bush's State of the U

tawker said:
But don't forget, the oil companies will go on red alert and ensure that any motion to cut their profits will be dropped pretty fast.

Oil companies don't rule the world. British Petroleum is the largest spender on solar energy R&D.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

FiveParadox said:

Is it like the Speech From the Throne, i.e., an issue of confidence? Or is it just a speech, plain and simple? Does Congress need to make any motions or votes in relation to the address?

It is modeled on the Speech From the Throne. It's an annual report by the President on the status of the country and an outline of legislation for the upcoming year. It is also a constitutional requirement:

"The President shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." (Article II, Section 3)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The State of The Onion speech was pure hollywood horseshit.
A nation of hydrocarbon junkies fixated on forced democratization
of the planet.
The reading of the dead soldiers letter was puke.
The hype was not good news for lefties like me, I think I,ll hide.

Virtual Burlesque

Nominee Member
Feb 19, 2005
Ontario

Virtual Burlesque ... FYI, I deleted your avatar. Little racey for CanCon. ;) Interesting, tho. Cosmo
Hmmm?

A picture of a politician in a typical pose is racey?

Oh, well, I'm easy.

How's this?