Tensions rise in Mideast over Cartoons

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
BEIRUT, Lebanon - From the burning of its flag to a boycott of its brands of butter and cookies, Denmark is feeling Islamic outrage over newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Angered by the drawings, masked Palestinian gunmen briefly took over a European Union office in Gaza on Monday. Islamists in Bahrain urged street demonstrations, while Syria called for the offenders to be punished. A Saudi company paid thousands of dollars for an ad thanking a business that snubbed Danish products.

The anger is reminiscent of the 1989 wrath that followed publication of "The Satanic Verses," the Salman Rushdie novel that radicals said insulted Islam. Iran's Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a death sentence against the British writer.

The cartoons originally were published nearly four months ago in Denmark and reprinted Jan. 10 by the Norwegian evangelical newspaper Magazinet in the name of defending free expression.

The spasm of vilification in newspapers and mosque sermons, by governments, citizens and radicals appears to have spoken to pent up Muslim anger typically reserved for former colonial powers Britain and France, as well as the United States.

"This will be used by regimes who resent Western pressures to reform to say that the West is waging a war against Muslims and doesn't have their best interests at heart," Sulaiman al-Hattlan, a Dubai-based Saudi writer, told The Associated Press.

The Danish paper Jyllands-Posten first published the 12 cartoons Sept. 30. The drawings included one showing Muhammad wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a lit fuse. Another portrayed him with a bushy gray beard and holding a sword, his eyes covered by a black rectangle. A third pictured a middle-aged prophet standing in the desert with a walking stick, in front of a donkey and a sunset.

Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, favorable or otherwise.

Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador to Denmark and initiated a boycott of Danish goods. It was warned Monday by Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson that the European Union would take WTO action if the boycott persisted.

The newspaper issued an apology Monday to the world's Muslims.

The cartoons "were not in violation of Danish law but have undoubtedly offended many Muslims, which we would like to apologize for," the Jyllands-Posten's editor-in-chief Carsten Juste said in a statement posted on the newspaper's Web site.

On Sunday, the newspaper printed a statement in Arabic addressed to Saudis, who had initiated the boycott. It said the drawings were published as part of a Danish dialogue about freedom of expression but were misinterpreted "as if it were a campaign against Muslims in Denmark and in the Islamic world."

Few were swayed by the explanation.

"In (the West) it is considered freedom of speech if they insult Islam and Muslims," Mohammed al-Shaibani, a columnist, wrote in Kuwait's Al-Qabas daily Monday. "But such freedom becomes racism and a breach of human rights and anti-Semitism if Arabs and Muslims criticize their religion and religious laws."

Emirates Justice and Islamic Affairs Minister Mohammed Al Dhaheri called it "cultural terrorism, not freedom of expression," according to the official WAM news agency. "The repercussions of such irresponsible acts will have adverse impact on international relations."

In Tunisia, the head of the Islamic world's counterpart to UNESCO called the drawings "a form of racism and discrimination that one must counter by all available means."

"It's regrettable to state today, as we are calling for dialogue, that other parties feed animosity and hate and attack sacred symbols of Muslims and of their prophet," said Abdulaziz Othman Altwaijri, president of the Islamic Organization for Education, Science and Culture,

Jordan's largest circulation daily, government-run Al-Rai, said the Danish government must apologize.

In two West Bank towns Sunday, Palestinians burned Danish flags and demanded an apology. Several Islamist groups, including the Palestinian militant Hamas party and Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, called for a worldwide boycott of Danish products.

The same call in several Persian Gulf countries has resulted in supermarkets clearing shelves of Danish cream cheese, butter and cookies. Kuwait's Al-Jahra Cooperative Society said in an ad in the Al-Rai Al-Aam daily that all Danish products have been removed from its shelves.

In Saudi Arabia, the daily Al-Watan refused to publish an ad from Denmark-based dairy group Arla Foods, which has said the boycott of its products was almost total.

Luai Mutabakani, senior editor at the paper, told the AP the full-page ad, titled "The Danish government respects Islam," did not carry any apology or reprimand the paper.

In Iraq, thousands denounced the caricatures during Friday prayers.

The Egyptian parliament's Economic Committee refused to discuss a $72.49 million loan from Denmark to Egypt.

President Emile Lahoud of Lebanon condemned the cartoon, saying his country "cannot accept any insult to any religion."

Danish government officials expressed regret for the furor caused by the drawings but refused to become involved, citing freedom of expression. Mindful of the outrage, the government advised its citizens to "show extra vigilance" in the region.

Swedish Foreign Ministry spokesman Claes Jernaeus warned against travel to Gaza and the West Bank.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_prophet_drawings

They do raise a good point about how they are veilified when they go against Western or Israeli culture but when they are made fun of in Western newspaper or in Israel and it is called freedom of expression.

You don't make a cartoon where the fundamental leader of one's religion looks like he is wearing a suicide bomb on his head is not funny it is targeting a group of people for some unknown reason.

And when religious fundamentalists pick it up you know something is wrong.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm sorry!

A cartoon is a cartoon, is a cartoon. It is not as if a specific Saudi was ridiculed or insulted. People outside the Muslim faith are ridiculed, or at least denigrated all the time in Muslim countries. When Salman Rushdie was sentenced to death a few years ago by the Iranian clerics for a perceived slur in Rushdie's book, it was bad enough. It is well past the time when Muslim religious leaders can expect the rest of the world to go along with their sophomoric posturing.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
It's actually nice to see you say that #juan.

As boring as it is to say it, what's good for the goose
is good for the gander, and maturity of both cultures
require that.

We all learned at a very early age if you kick somebody,
expect to be kicked back. This isn't just an eye for an eye, but rather an understanding not to be hypocritical
and simply to do unto others as we wish to be treated.

We all laughed about doing unto others BEFORE they do it unto you, but we really do know that safety for ourselves involves honor.

It may be that we have to have the clash we see to force
a certain evolution.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Jersay said:
They do raise a good point about how they are veilified when they go against Western or Israeli culture but when they are made fun of in Western newspaper or in Israel and it is called freedom of expression.

Veilified? Freudian slip? :) Better watch out, You might need bodyguards. :)

In all seriousness. No I don't think they make a good point. Make an insulting cartoon about Jesus, it won't even get news coverage.

How about responding in kind. Some writes a book you don't like (Rushdie), write your own better book, or a literary criticism. Not state sponsored order of assasination.

This whole infidels must die for cartoons, books (Rushdie) or movies (Theo Van Gogh) should not be treated as a sane reaction by anyone anywhere. This is freaking insanity.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
One must keep in mind, however, their perspective on the situation: The cartoons not only parodied the Prophet, but rather, depicted him graphically, which is (unless I am mistaken) a strict violation of the Islamic faith.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Five wrote:
One must keep in mind, however, their perspective on the situation: The cartoons not only parodied the Prophet, but rather, depicted him graphically, which is (unless I am mistaken) a strict violation of the Islamic faith.

One wonders if the average Muslim actually knows what the prophet looked like in order to be insulted by a cartoon? When these people start respecting the beliefs of Christians and others, I'll start worrying about upsetting them.[/b]

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
FiveParadox, you make a big mistake by thinking the
critics of Islam know little about Islam.

We know that Islamic portrayals and paintings of the
Prophet Mohammad's face is always blanked out because
of its deep commitment against worship of ICONS.

In fact this deep committment went to a very absurd
abuse by the Taliban when it set up a heavy duty
machine gun in Afghanistan in February 2001, almost
6 months before 9/11 and proceeded to gun down
the LARGEST and OLDEST Buddhist statues in the world.

Now for all this deep committment Muslims have
against icons, picture of icons, and therefore the
worship of ICONS, they these followers of Muhammad,
these alleged haters of ICONS would be the worst hypocrites of the world if any non-muslim would destroy
their mosques, or any of their religious symbols --- dare I say it ? Their OWN ICONS.

Christians in general are just as bad.

But the Buddhists practice what others preach.

You heard no outcry from the Buddhists.

You heard it from Western Nations who decried
the destruction of such ancient history.

Political correctness is quite boring.
Hypocrisy is even more boring.

And disgusting.

If the muslims have something for the West to learn,
they too must become students.

They cry way too much how little we know them, but
I wonder how much they know of us ?

Eh ?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In advance, please not that this is not directed to anyone in particular.

The common "grouping" of people (i.e., all Muslims do this, all Christians do that) that takes place across the Internet, in many cases, kind of irritates me sometimes. We act as if people of the Islamic faith are limited to the Middle East — I would assert that some would forget that we have many Islamic-Canadians living in our great nation, and they contribute to our nation's greatness just as much as would any other.

Bah.

Sorry, again, not directed to anyone in particular. I am chatting on a Yahoo! Chat service at the same time, so some venting may be leaking into this forum instead. :p

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
Five wrote:

One wonders if the average Muslim actually knows what the prophet looked like in order to be insulted by a cartoon? When these people start respecting the beliefs of Christians and others, I'll start worrying about upsetting them.[/b][/quote

I am with you on this one, #Juan. If IslaM doesn't like freedom of expression, big suprize, what do I care?

And that crap about how differently Christian sensibilities are treated............have you never heard of the "art" exhibitions with a crucifix floating in a bottle of urine? Or Mary covered in cow dung?

Christianity is increasingly ridiculed in this society......and nobody boycotts anything.

For all you folks out there who sympathize with the Muslim position on this .....GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE!

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Actually some of the pictures represented were none too flattering, if not downright insulting. I had a link to the pics, but it's not working today. I'll try see if I can hunt them down a different way. To my understanding the faith prohibites any depictions of Mohammad no matter how benign, some did cross the line with taste though.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Seems like the militant Islamists are always cranky about something....

If they don't like a piece of news, or an article, or in this case a depiction of caricture (or cartoon)...they have some doofus rule they just whipped up in their religion.

Islam certainly doesn't bring much peace and serenity to its followers. Paranoid delusion seems to be the result of all this heavy devotion.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Muslim backlash over cartoons forces Danish newspaper to apologise

February 01, 2006
COPENHAGEN: The Danish newspaper which angered millions of Muslims by publishing caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed apologised yesterday as the Islamic world took sweeping retaliation against Denmark.

In a statement to "Honourable Fellow Citizens of the Muslim World", the editor-in-chief of Jyllands-Posten, Carsten Juste, said the cartoons, first published on September 30, "were not in violation of Danish law but they have undoubtedly offended many Muslims, for which we would like to apologise".

The contrition came after the long-simmering row erupted into widespread street demonstrations and flag-burnings in the Middle East, with Libya joining Saudi Arabia in withdrawing their ambassadors from Copenhagen.

Islamic governments and organisations issued furious denunciations, and a boycott of Danish goods took hold across the Muslim world.

Before the newspaper's apology, Denmark-based dairy group Arla Foods, with annual sales of about $US430million ($574million) in the Middle East, had urged the Danish Government to take action.

"I urgently beg the Government to enter a positive dialogue with the many millions of Muslims who feel they have been offended by Denmark," Arla's executive director Peder Tuborgh said in a statement.

The Danish Government warned its citizens against travelling to Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Syria, and withdrew aid workers from the Gaza Strip.

EU foreign ministers responded with a statement in support of Denmark, and the European Commission threatened to report to the World Trade Organisation any government backing the boycott of Danish goods.

The fury echoed the outcry that followed the publication in 1989 of the Salman Rushdie novel The Satanic Verses.

The trigger for the clash of cultures was the publication by the Jyllands-Posten on September 30 of 12 cartoons of Mohammed. A biographer of the prophet had complained no one would dare to illustrate his book, and the newspaper challenged cartoonists to draw pictures of the prophet in a self-declared battle for freedom of speech.

One cartoon showed Mohammed wearing a bomb-shaped turban. In another, he tells dead suicide bombers he has run out of virgins with which to reward them. Any portrayal of Mohammed is considered blasphemous in Islam, lest it encourages idolatory.

In October, ambassadors from 10 Muslim countries complained to Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who refused to interfere with the press's freedom.

But the issue began to boil over this month after the cartoons appeared in Magazinet, a Christian newspaper in Norway, and on the website of the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.

Imams denounced Denmark from their pulpits, the Arab press inflamed pent-up Muslim anger at the West, and last Friday the Saudi Government recalled its ambassador. But still Mr Rasmussen refused to apologise.

He condemned attempts to "demonise people because of religious beliefs", but argued: "The Government can in no way influence the media."

By Monday, governments across the Arab world had begun responding to public outrage. Libya closed its embassy in Copenhagen, and the Egyptian parliament demanded that its Government follow suit. The Kuwaiti and Jordanian governments called for explanations from their Danish ambassadors.

President Emile Lahoud of Lebanon condemned the cartoons, saying his country "cannot accept any insult to any religion".

The Justice Minister of the United Arab Emirates said: "This is cultural terrorism, not freedom of expression."

In Gaza, gunmen briefly occupied the EU office in Gaza, and warned Danes and Norwegians to stay away. Palestinians in the West Bank burned Danish flags.

The Islamic militant groups Hamas and Hezbollah and Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood demanded an apology.

Supermarkets in Algeria, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen all removed Danish produce from their shelves and refused to accept any more stock.

AP, The Times

Link

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Palestinians in the West Bank burned Danish flags. "

It's OK if we burn your nation's flag, but don't make any cartoons we don't like....

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
no jay, i think it is more like "if you make cartoons we don't like, we will burn your flag in protest".

not really a big deal considering lots of flags get burned for all sorts of reasons. Worldwide, flagburning is one of the standard protest methods.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Fixating on an external enemy is a great way to distract the population from internal problems of which Saudi Arabia and Syria have many. I could mention other governments that do this as well to great effect.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
caracal kid wrote:not really a big deal considering lots of flags get burned for all sorts of reasons. Worldwide, flagburning is one of the standard protest methods.

I submit that cartooning is also a standard method of protesting. The Saudis are heavy handed beyond belief. If the cartoonist was a Saudi national he would be be-headed at the end of the month along with a few dozen of his fellow citizens. Saudi is a cartoon.

This, apparently is one of the worst cartoons in the eyes of the Muslims.