Britain tops the world in foreign investment.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mighty Britain shows that, despite its slowing of economic growth in 2005 (but should speed up again in 2006) and slight increase in unemployment, our economy it is still performing magnificently in other areas.

The Times January 24, 2006

Britain tops world in foreign investment
By Gabriel Rozenberg, Economics Reporter

BRITAIN has come top of the international league table of recipients of foreign direct investment (FDI) after an exceptional year in which it benefited from nearly A QUARTER of all cross-border business, the United Nations said yesterday.

The UK received $219 bill-ion (£124 billion) of FDI in 2005, according to preliminary figures from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). That was up by 182 per cent from the $77 billion recorded in 2004 and was eight times the $27 billion in 2003. It was also the highest figure EVER RECORDED for a European country.

It was the first time since 1977 that Britain has been the top recipient of foreign investment, UNCTAD said. However, the rise in flows was accounted for largely by the merger of the oil giant Shell with Royal Dutch Petroleum, for about $100 billion.

But even excluding that deal, Britain was still ahead of its nearest rival in FDI, the United States, which benefited from flows of $106 billion, slightly up from the previous year. FDI worldwide rose by 29 per cent to £897 billion as a four-year slump in flows to developed nations was sharply reversed. A spate of crossborder mergers and acquisitions helped to fuel growth in FDI in the developed world.

FDI in developed countries was also influenced by the virtual end of large loan repayments from affiliated firms to their parent firms abroad.

Mergers and acquisitions, including cross-border deals, jumped 40 per cent to $2.9 trillion, partly driven by high stock market prices. Inflows to the ten new European Union members rose by 36 per cent to a record $38 billion.

FDI inflows to emerging economies rose 13 per cent to $274 billion and hit a record high of $28.9 billion in Africa, with the lion’s share going to South Africa, Egypt and Sudan.

*A renewed surge in trading activity on London’s foreign exchanges last year extended the City’s lead as the world’s pre-eminent centre for currency dealing, Bank of England figures suggested. Average daily turnover during October was 31 per cent up on a year earlier, at $862 billion.

*UK ranks 4th in the world in R&D, behind the US, China and India.

timesonline.co.uk

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
They are also the top in:

bad food,
crappy climate,

and 'how to cram 60 million people into a sardine can'.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
and 'eccentric' people.

My mom's from London and my British relatives are all just a little ...

I used to think those were British comedies (Are you being Served, Dad's army, etc.) on television but now I realize they were realistic true life dramas. :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I know what you mean....I love the Brits, but they sure can be strange....

I'm not so sure it's just them either. The rest of Europe tends to be a bit whacky too.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
cultural differences do that. you would appear just as strange to them as they to you.

NA or EU, which really is the "whackiest"? By which measure do you determine said wackiness?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I have always taken great pride in declaring Canada as the most eccentric and odd. I mean come on! Strange Brew anyone? Kids in the Hall? A band called Barenaked Ladies? That last one caused some confusion when I was talking about seeing them as a teenager at our town's hockey arena.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Can you beat Marilyn Manson and Pee Wee Herman ?

Do those two need a beating?

Are they American or Canadian ?

And any country that use a loonie and a toonie
for currency got the case of the Merry Melodies
(ancient cartoon reference).

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
When you go to Britain you don't need to search for actors, performers and other celebrity eccentrics. Just go to one of my mother's family get-togethers. I sure hope it's something in the water and not the DNA.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Beep beep beep beeeeeep.

We aren't eccentric. What makes you say that?