Hottest Year - Climate Change

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
K - Here are a few startling facts that will help keep our priorities straight, and for any lingering doubts as to global warming reality.

-----------------
Published: 18 December 2005

"The world is now hotter than at any stage since prehistoric times, a top climatologist announced last week. His startling conclusion comes as Nasa reported that 2005 has been the hottest year ever recorded"

carbon dioxide levels in the air - the main cause of global warming - are higher now than at any time in the past hundreds of thousands of years.

This year Arctic sea ice dropped to its smallest ever extent, the Atlantic suffered a record hurricane season and an unprecedented drought reduced the flow of the Amazon to its lowest ever level. Canada and Australia had their hottest ever weather this year

There is more -{ " in the Palaeocene epoch, which caused a massive reduction in life...."} here:
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article333840.ece

-----------------------------

K - For a lot of reasons, birds are going extinct. Climate Change is one more factor that will make survival for many bird species difficult unless our emissions are lowered soon.

To consider the loss of most of our bird species is unimaginable. If we caused this to happen with our emissions, life on earth would never feel quite right would it? To me, it is a huge crime against what important in life, however you define it [god, nature, creation, sanctity of life]. Global Warming is contributing to that possibility...

Emissions are avoidable, birds are magnificant.

Worldwide, some 1,212 of 9,775 bird species—one out of every eight—are threatened with extinction. Destruction and degradation of habitat is the number one danger, threatening 87 percent of these vulnerable birds.

Climate change is a relatively new threat to birds and other wildlife. Worldwide, a third of plant and animal species could become extinct by 2050 as a result of climate change.

For example, as spring has come earlier in the Netherlands, so too has the emergence of the caterpillars that great tit birds need to feed to their nestlings. Unfortunately, the birds’ egg-laying date has not shifted, putting the hatching of the chicks out of sync with their food supply.

http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2005/Update50.htm

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Sea levels rising ; cool warming link

Sorry to reply to my own post, but this is global warming so I am going to lower myself to bumping.

No discussion on this? Why ?
-Do I need to ask a question, or put up an idea we can discuss?
Or because its too obvious that GW is real, people are tired of the topic? ostrich-ising?
Is climate change & GW too scary without a good easy way out of it?

Where is the outrage? I just expect people to react to it I guess.
HEY THIS IS GOING TO KILL MORE PEOPLE RUING MORE LIVES AND AND DESTROY MORE NATURE THAN ALL THE WARS PUT TOGETHER.

We could avoid it, fairly easily with a concerted effort and abandonment of our economic schtick, or within the economy but with changes away from fossil fuels, it is do-able, people are just not grasping the gravity of it....If we wait, the price gets steeper to rememdy it and to endure it.

-----------------

Two more links, one about people who have allready had to MOVE due to rising sea levels, and the other a chart from Environmnet Canada.

---------------

It's happening already: an entire village on a small island in Vanuatu is on the move because of rising sea levels.
http://tinyurl.com/cc3wo

And this from Environment Canada themselves, a real cool moving chart of TEMPERATURE averages over the next 5 years -
http://tinyurl.com/crcww

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I am outraged, but the politicans just don't really give a F***.

They are buzy invading people, and talking about scandals and other things in North America.

And as a little person, the new hybrid electric cars, just to me look like a coffin.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Action So Far

The conduct of our representatives in the House of Commons so far on the matter of global warming has been appalling, in my opinion — this is in reference to each and every party currently recognized in the House, although some to more of an extend than others.

Our representatives should be racing down the corridors of the Centre Block, trying to come up with some solution to halt the problem in its tracks. We should be seeing emergency debates called in the House after standard adjournment — the Minister of the Environment, the Hon. Stéphane Dion, should be up in arms.

During most of the debates pertaining to the environment in Canada and across the world that have been held in the House — and most who watch CPAC would know this — there has been extremely poor attendance. A Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister, an assistant to the Critic from the Opposition, and a spattering of backbench Members.

Aux députés de la Chambre des communes : Honte à vous.

:!: Edit Clarified the third paragraph.

Papachongo

Nominee Member
Dec 6, 2005
nootaksas
I'm pretty sure when N.American fertility rates fall to about 30% sperm viability we'll finally get some sort of action. Of course by that time our species will already be in rapid decline.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Karlin, I care about the issue. However, I'm also a geologist and find that on public forums the science gets lost in someone trying to create a connection between unrelated variables. I confine most of my environmnetal discussion to science forums that are devoid of subjective political or ideological prisms.

I'm voting Green Party. Shucks, i don't even agree with a chunk of the Green Party platform but the environmental issue is 'numero uno' for me. The better the Greens do the more it pushes the environmental agenda closer to the forefront.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Hottest Year - Arctic Ice loss concern

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0111-06.htm
"Rapidly Shrinking Arctic Ice Could Spell Trouble for the Rest of the World"

"The polar region already may have passed a "tipping point" from which it can't recover in the foreseeable future." {- as it starts to absorb rather than reflect Sunshine.}

"Scientists say the great Arctic thaw will have effects all over the world, not just in the frozen north. It will magnify the global warming trend that's been recorded for the last quarter-century. It'll reshape the Earth's weather systems in unknown ways. It could alter the pattern of ocean circulation, drastically changing Europe's climate."

- end of quotes -

KK - There is some science for you Calberty.
How is the warm winter in Alberta?
- is there frost in the ground yet?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Hottest Year - Climate Change

Toro said:
I thought the title of this thread was "Hottie of the Year." I was going to pick Karra or Wednesday's Child.

I've heard through the grapevine Said1 is a hottie too!

(but don't tell her I said that....)