Washington Furious over Martin's Comments

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Among other things, Martin said,
"There is such a thing as a global conscience," Martin said Wednesday at the UN Conference on Climate Change.

"Now is the time to listen to it. Now's the time to join with others in our global community. Now is the time for resolve, for commitment and leadership and, above all, now is the time for action. Because only by coming together can we make real and lasting progress."

http://tinyurl.com/an5jk

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Washington Furious ov

Ah, did widdle Georgie's feelings get hurt? GOOD!

Then there's this:
CBC News correspondent Neil Macdonald said he has been told that the Americans are watching the election campaign, and if there is too much anti-U.S. rhetoric, that it would an impair progress on sensitive political issues between the countries.

Another thinly veiled threat by the neighbourhood bully. Of course we all know to deal with bullies...stand up to them and ignore their threats.

Nosferax

Nominee Member
Re: RE: Washington Furious ov

Reverend Blair said:

Then there's this:
CBC News correspondent Neil Macdonald said he has been told that the Americans are watching the election campaign, and if there is too much anti-U.S. rhetoric, that it would an impair progress on sensitive political issues between the countries.

Another thinly veiled threat by the neighbourhood bully. Of course we all know to deal with bullies...stand up to them and ignore their threats.

...And then get bombed back to the stone age and be invaded... :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Don't forget despite lil chimps efforts to twart kyoto, hundreds, and I mean hundreds of american cites say yes to kyoto. Even tho lil chimp refused to sign, 180 mayors of american cites have said yes to kyoto...looks more and more like this planet does not gives a rats ass what lil chimp says.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quote:

I would say the threat was tantamount to meddling in our election. I'm sure the Americans would love to see Harper elected.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
And then get bombed back to the stone age and be invaded.

Not unless there's a huge shift in geo-politics. The entire world would come to our aid if America were to invade us. That's not because we're so well-liked or right and anything else so intangible. It's because the rest of the world wants access to our raw materials too, so they would not tolerate the US completely controlling them.

I would say the threat was tantamount to meddling in our election. I'm sure the Americans would love to see Harper elected.

Another reason to vote for anybody but Harper.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.

The thing is, what Martin said was no insult. THe last American embassador to Canada was always was always lipping off about Canada. His excuse was that we were all brothers. I guess we're not brothers anymore.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Martin has no credibility on Kyoto. Even "lil chimp" has done a better job in reducing pollution and ghg emmissions. This guy makes me want to vomit when he preaches

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Those numbers are in question, MMMikey, but what is clear is that the actions that have occurred in the United States to lessen ghg emissions are not related to Bush's programs but to local actions taken by cities and states.

Bush's actions have actually discouraged further international action and encouraged other nations not to join Kyoto or any other plan to reduce emissions.

Martin has done a bad job on Kyoto, but he has done better than George Bush and the US federal government as a whole, so he has every right to criticise.

Stephen Harper and his supporters, on the other hand, have no business criticizing anybody over ghg emissions or global warming policy because they've spent the last several years denying there's a problem in order to protect the industries that line their pockets and fill their campaign coffers.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Nosferax said:
Reverend Blair said:

Then there's this:

...And then get bombed back to the stone age and be invaded... :wink:

fascinating isn't it ??? This is the horrific image the US has now. We might speak in jest.......but underneath it .....we are very aware of how war loving they have become . Having done two elective invasions now....their WAR confidence has grown. A tad like a criminal........the first murder is the hardest.......but once past that one.....the rest come easier and soon can be a habit. or an action of first choice.

Could care less if baby georgies feelings are hurt......as many in the US are still sensible and see the monster for who he is now.
dealing with the US is usually like walking on hot coals anyhow. They want to watch our elections........let them. They might learn something. We just gotta make sure we don't "resemble " them in any way........and harper would take us down that path in a menopausal hot flash.===so keep him out of Sussex drive.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Lil Chimp, MMMike,

doesn't know what GHG is. This is the second time you have bragged about U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. Show me the numbers and tell me who put them together. The U.S. was taking a lot of flack for not joining Kyoto because it would make them uncompetitive, and now they truck out these numbers after building 44 new coal-fired generating plants. I don't believe them period.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Show me the numbers and tell me who put them together. The U.S. was taking a lot of flack for not joining Kyoto because it would make them uncompetitive, and now they truck out these numbers after building 44 new coal-fired generating plants.

Hey, Paul Martin's boats haul coal, don't they? Is it possible that George Bush's policies are directly related to our Prime Minister's personal failure to come up with a solid Kyoto plan?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Rev

I was looking at the Canadian Kyoto site and we haven't done as badly as we might think. Part of our problem is that individual Canadians have to change the way they live. Drive smaller, more fuel efficient cars, insulate our homes better, that sort of thing. This will take some time. Ontario plans to eliminate coal-fired generating plants by 2009. Coal-fired plants are being replaced with CANDUs. I'll find that link again.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I was surprised and glad Martin made that remark. Georgie don't like it tough titty. Its the truth.

The US has no global conscience when it comes to anything that will benefit the planet, just their own interests (making money for business buddies, control). The Bush Crime Family is a very greedy and selfish government.

A votr for Stephen Harper is a vote for "W lite".

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I was looking at the Canadian Kyoto site and we haven't done as badly as we might think.

Back when Chretien first ratified Kyoto I said something along the lines of, "He got it half right because ratifying Kyoto was the right thing to do but Chretien has no plan." Paul Martin was integral to that as Finance Minister.

That's when I first started pushing for Canada to adopt a plan. I was making the point then, and I'm still making the point now, that targeted tax breaks on energy efficient building materials (take the GST off of insulation, fer Chrissakes) along with a real advertising/educational campaign (worked in the 70s) would do a lot of good. Follow that up with increased taxes for unneccesary gaz guzzlers (the example I used was my big green truck, which wouldn't have been taxed when I needed it for business, but would have been taxed once I closed my business) being used to subsidize hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles.

Martin and Chretien could have had that in place almost a decade ago. Instead, I'm still arguing for the same things.

While Canada is not doing as badly as the numbers would indicate because we do have several major aspects about to come on-line, there is absofuckinglutely no reason why we are as far behind as we are now.

Of course it can easily be argued that we'd be further along had the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives not worked so hard to obstruct every attempt at advancement. Special kudos to Monte Solberg, Bob Mills (I know somebody who went to university with Mills, so I have it on good authority Mills' mother should have aborted) and Stephen Harper for their obstructionist crap over the years. We can also thnk Ralph Klein, who has made a habit of ignoring real science while the oil companies filled his pockets.

In the end though, it is the Liberals who could have instituted initiatives that had us much farther down the road to reducing emissions than we are. Paul Martin played a mjor part in keeping us off of that road.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

Reverend Blair said:

Then there's this:

Yup, its a threat, a little HINT that to remind Martin that the Americans hold the sword of damocles over his head.

Canada would have gone ahead with marijuana reform if it were not for these threats by America to do as they do.

Get balls, Canada can go it alone. We would be "more Canadian" if we did not have such strong ties/dependancy to their economy. We can gradually work away from it, there are lots of other markets. I know, it will not be the easiest way to go. Go slow.

Besides, the great USA economy may be crumbling... we should hedge our bets.

Another remark , by MIKE WALLACE [news anchor] , when asked what he would ask President Bush:
"What in the world prepared you to be the commander in chief of the largest superpower in the world?
In your background, Mr. President, you apparently were incurious. You didn't want to travel. You knew very little about the military. . . . The governor of Texas doesn't have the kind of power that some governors have. . . .
Why do you think they nominated you? . . . Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the country is so [expletive] up?

K - WOW, what do you think he meant by "why did they nominate YOU" - because he is a dummy and will do as they tell him?

See? - its the nomination process where the Elites get their men in all the top places....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

no1important said:
I was surprised and glad Martin made that remark. Georgie don't like it tough titty. Its the truth.

The US has no global conscience when it comes to anything that will benefit the planet, just their own interests (making money for business buddies, control). The Bush Crime Family is a very greedy and selfish government.

A votr for Stephen Harper is a vote for "W lite".

I too am delighted that Martin made that remark. It more than about the issue itself.......it is about asserting onself to the monster to the south of us. Getting so sick of pasifying the US......or accomodating the US. We are more than cooperative in seeing things work out.......but the US is one sided and not interested in neighborly cooperation. It is determined to have its way......or it bombs us with words, threats and other nasties as we have seen that SOB Calluci do. He was a nasty piece of work......and they called him a "diplomat"....

the other thing is that the US secretly RESPECTS nations that stand up to it. They are weird that way........but they put a lot of value on asssertiveness........and even aggressiveness. Sure they got all bent out of shape about us refusing their calamity in Iraq ......(We were right btw) .......and gave us some serious tongue lashing and other threats... but this is how they do things....... meanwhile, may have quietly really respected our quiet ability to say NO when it matters without fanfare or sensationalism..

Washington can belly ache all they want...... they have seriously short attention spans and it won't be long before they will be belly aching about something else.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now