jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
washingtonpost.com
Democracy Under The Veil

By Anne Applebaum

She looked nice, Laura Bush, in her black veil and modest dress, touring the Dome of the Rock, smiling sweetly at the protesters outside. She sounded nice, too, in her keynote speech at the Dead Sea in Jordan. She talked about education, called this a "springtime of hope," spoke of translating books for the children of Lebanon and Bahrain. Here and there she also mentioned women, as in "Americans are inspired by the courage and the determination of women throughout the Middle East," or "our challenge is to help more women gain the confidence and the credit to start their own business."

new rules....post a bit and than provide a sausage...I mean a link

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
A Gender Jihad For Islam's Future

By Asra Q. Nomani
Sunday, November 6, 2005; B02

BARCELONA

Several months ago, when a group of Spanish Muslims approached city officials here about sponsoring a conference on Islamic feminism, one responded, "Isn't that an oxymoron?" That's what many people believe. To conservative Muslims, the phrase is an insult to Islam. But to many moderate Muslims -- and I count myself among them -- an Islamic feminist movement fits with the religion's early teachings and offers one of our best hopes for countering extremism. Indeed, those of us who have joined the movement since it emerged in the 1990s have come to understand that Islam needs to go back to its progressive 7th-century roots if it is to move forward into the 21st century.

link....

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Jimmy

New rules....post a bit and than provide a sausage, which is otherwise known as a link in canuckland. Your post has been edited, go back and post sausages to the website.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Nice try mikey :twisted: Its the board of directors fault momsy, and yes you have to post the link if you want anyone to read it, personally, I'd skip the shite and go right over to the jokes forum :lol: :lol:

Heya momsy 8O nice to see "me beats" back on the beat :p

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I can't quite tell what this thread is supposed to be about, but ...
Under Saddam Hussein, Iraq had some of the most secular legislation in the region.

But all that could change, with hardline Shia members of the national assembly pushing for the country to be named the Islamic Republic of Iraq.

Secular women in Iraq have been through a difficult two years, with relentless violence keeping more and more women indoors and many feeling growing pressure to wear the veil.

"Things have got worse even since last year," says Rafif, a 28-year old bank auditor attending a recent conference on women and the constitution. "I'm now afraid to drive my car. I've changed where I study and work so that I can be nearer to home. But we women have got to get out of the house if we're going to change things."

sausage ...

Just as Iraqi women were anticipating a new era of democracy and freedom, a wave of intimidation by extremist groups has arisen to crush their hopes. Violent oppression of women is spreading across Iraq, a weapon of mass mental and physical destruction.

Extra-spicy sausage ...