Court trip next stop for bus rider

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Show your papers please! jjw1965

Deborah Davis doesn't consider herself a hero. Certainly not a modern-day champion of the Constitution. Yet, in her own way, she might be a little of both.

Two months ago, this 50-year-old mother of four was reading a book while riding to work on RTD's Route 100. When the bus rolled up to the gates of the Denver Federal Center in Lakewood, a guard climbed on and demanded Davis, as well as everyone else on board, produce identification.

Perhaps it was that inherent American distaste for producing papers on demand, but Davis, who had gone through this drill before, decided to pass.

"I told him that I did have identification, but I wasn't going to show it to him," Davis explains. "I knew that I wasn't required by law to show ID and that's why I decided I wasn't going to. The whole thing seemed to be more about compliance than security."

More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I applaud this woman. I don't see how she can be fairly convicted since she wasn't intending even to stop in a federal area. Police can become self-important, mindless bureaucrats in some situations. Handcuffing her was really over the edge.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
yes1 When I first heard about police plans for this,it seemed like just more drills. I didn't realize they meant to go this far..overtones of Germany prior to WW2 :(