San Francisco Approves Handgun Ban

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Well let's see, The honest citizens will give up their guns but the criminal will keep theirs, so the the bad guy can break into your home because he knows you don't have a weapon. :roll:

Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses. Story

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It will be challenged rather quickly....and they know it.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
RE: San Francisco Approve

Yay! Score one for sanity!

I know I wouldn't want to live in a place where everybody and their dog carried a handgun. Good for them for taking steps to put a stop to that nonsense.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: San Francisco Approve

Andygal said:
Yay! Score one for sanity!

I know I wouldn't want to live in a place where everybody and their dog carried a handgun. Good for them for taking steps to put a stop to that nonsense.

ditto. might be the start of some common sense./and realism.

( would not want to live in a place/society where one felt he had to consider owning a gun for fear of criminal activity on ones home, person etc. Or where the "gun mentalilty " was so prevelant )

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Common sence and realism in San Francisco? I don't think they would appreciate that too much. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of my last busineess trips before I retired was to Frisco and while everyone knows that San Francisco has a very large gay community, most are not aware that a large percentage of homosexuals carry guns for their own protection. I think it will be a difficult job to pick up all the hand guns in S.F..

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: San Francisco Approves Handgun Ban

Jay said:
Common sence and realism in San Francisco? I don't think they would appreciate that too much. :)

;-) Gotta love them anyhow. They are a cool bunch......and don't get bent out of shape all that easily..;-)-but when they do........ :x (more poetic descriptions eluded YT for that one..

(but then SF is one of my favorite cities..... to visit. (or used to be ) :(

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
While I don't like gun violence, I do believe in my right to bear arms according to the Bill of Rights, If you take away from the Constitution, you might as well take away the whole thing and thats what their trying to do.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The honest citizens will give up their guns but the criminal will keep theirs

That's why the criminals aren't honest - cos they have handguns when the law-abiding citizens don't.

And the 6th Amendment is 200 years out of date. It needs to be deleted.

Just last week, I heard there was ANOTHER shooting at a US school.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
As I noted on another thread, this will not stick. A handgun ban goes against the second ammendment of the US Constitution. The US Constitution is law and overrides any local propositions. It will get overturned in court and those in San Francisco who came up with this ridiculous and contradictory law had better not charge taxpayers for any court fees when they loose.

If I were living in San Francisco with my handguns, I wouldn't worry about it. This will get overturned. Actually, even before they overturn this proposition, any resident caught with guns simply need to tell the courts that they were merely following the law ... the US Constitution. It applies to everyone in the US.

Read on ...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175347,00.html

Fox News:

NRA to File Suit Against San Francisco Gun Ban
Saturday, November 12, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco voters this week passed what could become the nation's strictest gun ban when they outlawed not only the sale of guns in the city, but required almost everyone who is not a cop, security guard or member of the military to surrender their handguns to police by April 1.

Supporters of Proposition H say that with 76-gun related homicides this year and 90 last year, taking away people's firearms will help fight crime.

"It's a measure that's popular in San Francisco, it's now the will of the voters, and unfortunately, the NRA is trying to thwart the will of the voters," said San Francisco County Supervisor Chris Daley. "The ban on handguns, of course, excludes law enforcement, etc…, but it applies to all San Francisco residents evenly, and we think given that, it can withstand challenges in court."

The National Rifle Association is going to sue to nullify the ban.

"We are disappointed, but this fight is just beginning," NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said in a statement. "Lawful residents of San Francisco are being stripped of their freedom because of an illegal measure that defies common sense. We will fight this outrageous assault on the rights of law-abiding San Franciscans and I believe that we will prevail."

Former San Francisco police officer Larry Barsetti — a plaintiff in the NRA's lawsuit — and most legal analysts say the measure won't stand up in court because gun regulation usually falls under state, not local, jurisdiction. Barsetti says the gun-control lobby probably knows the ban won't survive but pushed it anyway on the liberal turf of San Francisco.

"I don't see why we have to jeopardize ourselves, our own personal safety, the safety of our wives and children to make a point, because that's all this is, it's trying to make a point but at the cost of possibly my life," Barsetti argued. "I'm outraged at that and don't think it should be done."

In 1982, the courts struck down a similar gun ban on the grounds it conflicted with state law and opponents to the ban are hoping for a similar result this time around. If a reversal doesn't happen, some gun owners say they'll either have to store their weapons somewhere else, or accept that they'll be criminals.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
#juan said:
. . . everyone knows that San Francisco. . . gay community. . . carry guns for their own protection. . .
You don't think this is all a plot to prosecute gays — not for being gay, but for carrying guns to protect their gayness? :roll:

My bet is that San Franciscans may be more serious than we knew about leaving Jesusland. :lol: