Marine tells of 'carte blanche' to kill

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
November 2, 2005

A former US marine has told a jury that he was given "carte blanche" to kill and was told to "shoot first and ask questions later" while serving in Iraq following the outbreak of war in 2003.

Jimmy Massey was giving evidence in the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court trial of five antiwar protesters accused of criminal damage of a US aeroplane at Shannon Airport in February 2003.

Mr Massey was a platoon sergeant in the US Marines stationed in Kuwait in the lead up to the outbreak of the Iraq war and served there following the invasion until May 15, 2003.

The accused have pleaded not guilty to two counts each of causing damage without lawful excuse to a naval plane, property of the United States Government and to glass door panels, property of Aer Rianta at Shannon Airport on February 3, 2003.

They are Ciaron O’Reilly, an Australian national and Damien Moran, aged 25, both of South Circular Road, Rialto; Nuin Dunlop, aged 34, a US citizen and counsellor living on Walkinstown Road, Dublin; Karen Fallon, aged 35, a Scottish marine biologist living on South Circular Road, Rialto; and Deirdre Clancy, aged 35, a copy editor of Castle Avenue, Clontarf, Dublin.

Mr Massey told Mr Brendan Nix SC, defending Ms Fallon, that prior to invasion he was briefed of the terms of the Geneva Convention and rules of engagement. He said he was told that intelligence reports "painted every Iraqi as a potential terrorist".

In response to Mr Nix’s query as to what was their "firing policy". Mr Massey replied: "To shoot first and ask questions later. We were given carte blanche to kill."

Asked by counsel if this was in breach of the Geneva Convention, Mr Massey replied: "Yes sir".

Mr Nix: "Did it happen?" - "It did, many times. Over a three month period more than 30 innocent people were killed that I know of."

Mr Massey, originally from North Carolina, said he joined the US Marines as a 19 year-old and served for 12 years before his honourable discharge in December 2003. As platoon sergeant he was in charge of machine gunners, missile men and scout snipers.

He told Mr Roderick O’Hanlon SC (with Mr Giollaiosa O Lideadha BL), defending Mr O’Reilly and Mr Moran, that Shannon Airport had, since the first Gulf War, "always been used as a military supply and logistics port".

Mr Jeffrey Oxley, a former Royal Air Force Group Captain, agreed with Mr O Lideadha, that a supply plane could be a "legitimate target" in a war situation.

Mr Oxley said it would be difficult to see an empty supply plane as a primary target but agreed it would be attacked if it was the only target available in order to remove an asset from an opposing force.

Mr Oxley agreed with Mr Michael O’Higgins SC, defending Ms Dunlop and Ms Clancy, that there was significant resistance in western Europe in the build up to war and that the UK and US governments needed to be aware of such.

Mr Oxley agreed with Mr O’Higgin’s suggestion that governments would have been concerned when they heard a plane had been disabled, "married to a clarion call".

Mr O’Higgins suggested that some military operations which have little chance of success are sometimes carried out by a small number of people in order to "inspire others".

Mr Oxley responded that in such a situation one could not foresee events but would need to have a good idea of the outcome.

Ms Fallon, giving evidence in her own defence, told Mr Nix that she damaged the plane "primarily to stop them killing people and destroying their hospitals and waterworks. It’s OK for us, no one is bombing us everyday."

She said she had seen for herself an increase in military traffic at a naval base near her home in Scotland in December 2002 and January 2003.

She said she honestly believed she could "make a difference" and said if her actions "could have saved one life, then it is worth it".

Ms Fallon told Mr Conor Devally SC, prosecuting, that she carried a real hammer aswell as an inflatable football hammer into the hangar and was "kind of frightened". She said she carried the large inflatable as she thought it would have been "hard to shoot someone with a green, white and gold hammer".

She denied a number of suggestions by Mr Devally that her actions were "protests" against the war aimed at highlighting the situation and bringing others to her point of view.

Ms Fallon also denied that she was now repeating a "mantra" about saving lives. She said she went into the hangar thinking she could have been shot but the event was now being turned into "some smutty little thing for the newspapers".

The jury earlier heard that repairs costing over $2.5m (€2m) were carried out on the US navy supply plane which the five accused admit they hit with hammers.

The hearing continues before Judge McDonagh and a jury of five men and seven women.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: Marine tells of 'cart

Mikky. Where is human rights??????? not in the United States of A-holes.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

The US only cares about human rights if something happens to one of them in another land. (they do not care about citizens who are arab descent/ or poor black people in a hurricane ravaged area). The word human rights has been lost and forgotten ever since "W" came into power.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

No1. The US doesn't even care about human rights even if they are of arab decent (lebanese origin army man ran away in Iraq, picked up in Beirut and disappeared in the US, never heard about him or from him) or poor black people as we have seen during Katrina. The White man was evacuated and the black man left behind to deal with one of the most devastating natural disasters.

Human rights DOES NOT exist in the US.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Marine tells of 'cart

moghrabi said:
No1. The US doesn't even care about human rights even if they are of arab decent (lebanese origin army man ran away in Iraq, picked up in Beirut and disappeared in the US, never heard about him or from him) or poor black people as we have seen during Katrina. The White man was evacuated and the black man left behind to deal with one of the most devastating natural disasters.

I agree 100%. I corrected my previous post. I forgot to add a few words that should of been added. Sorry for the mix up. :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
he was given "carte blanche" to kill and was told to "shoot first and ask questions later" while serving in Iraq following the outbreak of war in 2003.

Washington/Bush BASTARDS.(killers and murderers) !! I render the emphasis , as I still cannot believe some of this crap the US is doing........when it is supposed to be a "civilized " nation. Golly, have we been wrong on that one!!

Almost "feel" for the troops.......as they don't have much choice about being the "hired" killers...(bush pawns in a war of greed) The US pays them to kill, maim and torture. Under the glory of the USR flag . :evil: But they did sign up for the job...

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

no1important said:
moghrabi said:

I agree 100%. I corrected my previous post. I forgot to add a few words that should of been added. Sorry for the mix up. :wink:

I knew what you meant though No1. Thanx.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Ocean Breeze said:
he was given "carte blanche" to kill and was told to "shoot first and ask questions later" while serving in Iraq following the outbreak of war in 2003.

Washington/Bush BASTARDS.(killers and murderers) !! That is no surprise as I recall reading that elsewhere some time ago.

Almost "feel" for the troops.......as they don't have much choice about being the "hired" killers...(bush pawns in a war of greed) The US pays them to kill, maim and torture. Under the glory of the USR flag . :evil: But they did sign up for the job...

The soldiers have the right to refuse an illegal order, Ocean. I don't even feel sorry for them. They signed up and they knew what to expect. Now they are getting it.

I used to feel sorry for the soldiers, but not in this false war and not after abu gharib bonannza.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
moghrabi said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Washington/Bush BASTARDS.(killers and murderers) !! That is no surprise as I recall reading that elsewhere some time ago.

The soldiers have the right to refuse an illegal order, Ocean. I don't even feel sorry for them. They signed up and they knew what to expect. Now they are getting it.

I used to feel sorry for the soldiers, but not in this false war and not after abu gharib bonannza.

I 'hear ' ya ,;-). Well, I did say "almost".. ;-)

There are just so many things WRONG with this whole bush /Iraq crusade.......that it is hard to fathom all of the issues......but the most angering are the fecking LIES that were told ....in order to invade in the first place. Gosh, were those warmongers excited to enter into a war of their choosing. (how uplifting and empowering it must have felt........for a while) . the other enraging thing of course is the fecking TORTURE, secret prisons and the general US population indifference to it.

the indifference is a complete insult to the Iraqi people..... the ones that bush claims to be "freeing". ..........insult to their intelligence too.......as there is no indication as to who will free them from the bush tentacles.

Carte Blanche to kill??? absolutely NO surprise there.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

The americans never assume it is an insult to invade another country, to cheat on free trade issues, to disobey international laws, to disregard the UN and the list goes on. The assume that all of the world is so dumb and they are the chosen people.

Sorry, but they are WRONG.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

moghrabi said:
The americans never assume it is an insult to invade another country, to cheat on free trade issues, to disobey international laws, to disregard the UN and the list goes on. The assume that all of the world is so dumb and they are the chosen people.

Sorry, but they are WRONG.

seems that the real america is being displayed for the world to see now........and hardly anyone has any respect for it. No one likes it. and the more "we" hear of this kind of US policy / see their antics......the more isolated the usr will be.

Bush and goons with their insanity in Iraq have made a laughing stalk of the US as the us is behaving like an arrogant little drooling two year old.......with too many tonker toys ( Or whatever the war toys of choice are for the US kidds)

.......the lack of civility is appalling.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Unfortuantely, North Americans are just being exposed to the US insanity. Africa, Asia, the Middle East, South America, Black people, Indians, Viatnamese, Koreans, and the list is long have seen them in their true color for a long time. Now everybody is seeing them, even their nationals.