The Assault on Religion in America

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
As in most cases, I'll have to agree with Bill on this one. The far left are really getting carried away. I mean who does the Hillsborough County school board think is paying it's taxes? The folks who send their kids to school that's who. Need I remind them that 85% of those folks are Christians. I never heard anything so ridiculous as wiping out all mention of religious observances from schools. It's the first I hear ofs anything so absurd. That is going way to far even for the far left radicals. Not to worry though, we will prevail. Parents will group together and this will go to court and the school board will lose. The school board had better not even think of raising school taxes to pay for any court costs associated with this fiasco if they lose. If the school board needs money to pay for their stupidity, the affected parents should go after the school board members and take it outta their hides. Confiscate personal property and/or any assets of each school board member who voted on this nonsense. That's one way to pay court fees.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174428,00.html

Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Bill O'Reilly

The assault on religion in America, that is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points Memo."

Tonight, we begin an ongoing series of reports entitled "Religion Under Siege". There's no question secular forces in America led by the ACLU want to wipe out all vestiges of religious traditions in public. This battle's been going on for quite some time, but it is intensifying. And increasingly, the press is becoming involved.

Now last week, we reported the school board in Hillsborough County, Florida, the Tampa area, has removed most mentions of religious holidays from the school calendar. This, after a Muslim student requested an Islamic holiday be included among observances like Yom Kippur, Good Friday, and the day after Easter.

Rather than deal with the Muslim issue, the school board ruled 5 to 1 to wipe out all mention of religious observances, except for Christmas. That federal holiday is being called "Winter Break".

The lone vote against this madness came from Jennifer Falario, whom we immediately booked on “The Factor”. She told us she was excited to get out her point of view. But later, she canceled. And we found out it was because of pressure, which the woman subsequently admitted.

Now we reported all of this to you honestly and fairly, but almost immediately, I was attacked in The Tampa Tribune newspaper, called a liar in a news article and viciously smeared by the paper's far left character assassin columnist.

Now this disgraceful exhibition isn't unusual. As we discussed last night with Michelle Malkin, the far left forces in the USA will say and do pretty much anything. But I'm holding Tampa Tribune publisher Gil Thelen, who is too cowardly to talk to us, personally responsible for the shameful course of events. There is no excuse.

Now this is another case of a newspaper protecting its turf. We saw that with The New Hampshire Union Leader in the Jessica's Law debate. The Florida situation is yet another example of a national movement to remove all traces of religion education from the public school system to avoid teaching kids about their heritage.

Nearly 85 percent of Americans call themselves Christians. Why is that? How did that happen? And what exactly is Christianity?

All American students should be able to answer those questions and define other religions as well. This isn't a promotion of religion. It's just teaching about an established part of our society.

By banishing any mention of religious holidays, the Hillsborough County school board is setting back education and is practicing a kind of fascism. That's what they do in Cuba.

The anti-religious zealots in America have powerful allies in the media and succeeded in intimidating their opposition using vile tactics. Fair-minded Americans need to know about the Hillsborough County school board, The Tampa Tribune, and the fact that this is not an isolated occurrence.

Twenty years ago, religion was not under siege in America. Now it is big time. And only you, the folks, can stop it.

And that's "The Memo."

The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day

We have to thank The New York Sun newspaper for digging this one up:

As you may know, the New York chapter of the ACLU is suing the city for random bag checks in the subway system. But guess who's checking bags in their own offices? You got it, the NYCLU. The sign outside the office says, quote, "Please have photo ID ready for inspection. All packages are subject to inspection upon entering and leaving the premises."

Whoa! Got to love that ACLU. To not do so would be ridiculous. It's great.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
You know nero..with you its always like this....homosexuals :roll: abortion :roll: money :roll: and of course religion :roll: But than your not really religious are you :lol: psssst...neither is george bush. Its a really bad mascarade costume, cheap like walmart :p It sorta makes ya really distaseful...course that just my opinion. I speak for myself, just like I think for myself...you should try it sometime, you might like it. Anyhos enough with the self rightheous lectures eh :twisted: To thine ownself be true...something like dat :? I pratte, so go tattle....hehehehe

Statement by Dan Barker, co-president
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Are we surprised when a president known more for his faith than his intellect advises us that creationism should be taught in public schools? George W. Bush, responding this week to a question about evolution and "intelligent design," gave us his learned scientific opinion: "Both sides ought to be properly taught . . . so people can understand what the debate is about. . . . Part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought."

Does anyone think Bush really cares about an objective academic debate? Our president, the darling of the Christian right, is simply using his office to legitimize his theistic views, which happen to be the origin myth of the believing bloc that voted him into office.

As Christian conservative Gary Bauer pointed out: "With the president endorsing it, at the very least it makes Americans who have that position more respectable."

But there are more than two origin explanations. Does Bush advise "properly" teaching the various Native American creation myths, such as the earth forming on the back of a turtle rising from the waters? Does he insist that the "school of thought" of the Raelians (that humans are cloned extraterrestials) or the Babylonian Enuma Elish (that we sprang from the blood drops of the god Kingu) also be "properly" taught in public science classrooms? Exactly how do you "properly teach" myth and magic in the science class?

The proponents of "intelligent design"--which is just the old creationist wolf in cheap clothing--want us to think that because there seem (to them) to be examples of "irreducible complexity" in living cells, or in other features of the universe, we must conclude that it was designed by an intelligence outside of nature. Since creationists have repeatedly been told by the courts that they can no longer outlaw evolution or teach Genesis in public schools, they are careful not to specify exactly who this designer is, pretending that their hypothesis is merely objective, disinterested science.

Really. Golly, George, who do you think the mysterious Designer is?

Bush and the ID people are fooling no one. Look who cheers when the president makes such remarks: not scientists--who overwhelmingly reject "intelligent design"--but bible toters, theocrats and preachers. Theologian Cardinal Schonborn of Vienna claims that evolution as an "unguided, unplanned process of random variation and natural selection" is untrue. This is not science vs. science. This is poorly disguised religious dogma vs. the fact of evolution.

"Creation science" is three things:

1) An attack on evolution, offering no evidence for its hypothesis of a designer ("Natural selection is wrong, so we win by default");

2) The old "god of the gaps" strategy of seeking supposedly unanswerable questions, and plugging the gap with a deity ("Gosh, we can't explain this, so there must be a god");

3) A story, such as the creation myth in the book of Genesis ("God said it, I believe it").

"Intelligent design" is not science. Its proponents have never had an article published on the topic in any peer-reviewed scientific journal. They conduct no experiments that would prove or falsify their hypothesis. Their conjecture makes no useful predictions, nor can it be mathematically modeled. There are no research labs doing ID science.

And who are they to proclaim that we have reached the end of scientific progress? It is the gaps that drive science forward, not grind it to a halt.

The ancients thought thunder and soil fertility were evidence of deities, but now we know something about electricity, weather, and agriculture. Those gaps have closed, and those gods have died. Isaac Newton, a fervent Christian, played the same game. After brilliantly discovering the laws of gravity that hold the planets in orbit, he failed to come up with an explanation for why the planets move in the same plane and same direction. He impatiently declared that these unsolvable mysteries were evidence for an intelligent designer. But now we know something about the formation of solar systems, and that gap has closed.

Just because today's scientists can't fully answer a particular question, can creationists mandate that no further inquiry is allowed? (Many of their supposed examples of "irreducible complexity," by the way, have already been explained, but this does not seem to discourage them.)

Let's ask creationists: Someday, when these gaps have closed and all your purported examples of "irreducible complexity" have been satisfactorily explained by science, will you abandon your belief in a god?

"Intelligent design" is not true science, vulnerable to disconfirmation. It is merely a prop to legitimize prior beliefs.

Scientists, by the way, do acknowledge design in the universe: design by natural selection, and by the limited number of ways atoms and molecules can combine mathematically and geometrically, or by emergent properties arising from "chaos," and so on. But "intelligent" design is an unsatisfactory hypothesis because it simply answers one mystery with another mystery. The mind of an intelligent designer would itself show signs of functional complexity, raising the question: who designed the designer?

If George Bush really wants to "expose people to different schools of thought," will he advocate teaching Darwinism in Sunday School? Shall we insert a chapter from Origin of the Species between Genesis 1 and 2?

The debate between the supernatural and natural world views ought to be discussed, but not in science class. It's not as though today's schoolchildren have been deprived of hearing about an "intelligent designer." There are churches on every other corner and religious broadcasts across the radio and TV spectra. Let's talk about religion--the good and the bad of it--in a class on philosophy or current topics.

But not in science class. Science teachers should teach science. Those who pretend "intelligent design" is science are missionaries, not teachers.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Just another diatribe by Bill O'Reilly. The man's a known liar, a proven bully, a pervert, and a moron. Anybody with any morals or scruples whatsoever knows O'Reilly has no credibility at all.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Reverend Blair said:
Just another diatribe by Bill O'Reilly. The man's a known liar, a proven bully, a pervert, and a moron. Anybody with any morals or scruples whatsoever knows O'Reilly has no credibility at all.

Is that why his show has been rated the most popular news show on cable TV for over 4 years now?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: The Assault on Religi

Hey, Gilligan's Island was a hit too.

Oreilly has been caught in more lies in more ways, by more people than anybody except possibly that stupid blonde bimbo.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
This is in response to some of you on this board who won't value any opinion from the opposition, such as say a Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly. Heck, Canada allowed Al Jazeer long before Fox News made a stink about it.

You know, I listen to NPR, read the Washington Post and NY Times and the Guardian in England and all are castigated as being too liberal,

Big deal. I also watch Fox News, and read the Washington Times which had a reasoned editorial about the efficacy of Torture under any situation.

I gotta wonder if either side is right about the media.

I read and listen to all the groups that offend the other side and I've come to find out that nobody has it right about their opposistion.

I've agreed and disagree with Bill O'Reilly of Fox News, but it's a damn shame the liberals write him completely off. If anything, the liberals ought to get to know better who they fight. That would be one reason not to cancel the so-call enemy. And secondly, I enjoy much of the liberal media essentially for 3 reasons:

1. They just might be right, because no one has a monopoly on the truth and because the truth is often uncovered by shallow, overly righteous partisans, and not by reasoning moderates.

2. I want to know what the opposition understands and feels in their heart, because the point 1 above could be true.

3. It helps me listen with more balance with the favorites I have in the conservative media who also have validity.

And finally I got to say I've recoiled at both camps not listening to each other because the source quoted is never to be believed.

You can find the truth even from the person in the media you most despise.

If you rule out that potential, you are limiting yourself.

But the TRUE BELIEVERS will never know they are making just that mistake.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
And since you brought this up once again jimmy, I would like to share this piece with others, thanks for reminding me to dig it up.

as ever peapod

The essay is a follow-up to Dawkins' powerful article, "Religion's Misguided Missiles," appearing in The Guardian on September 15, 2001.

Written for the Freedom From Religion Foundation (http://www.ffrf.org), Madison, Wisconsin, September 2001.

"To blame Islam for what happened in New York is like blaming Christianity for the troubles in Northern Ireland!" Yes. Precisely. It is time to stop pussyfooting around. Time to get angry. And not only with Islam.

Those of us who have renounced one or another of the three "great" monotheistic religions have, until now, moderated our language for reasons of politeness. Christians, Jews and Muslims are sincere in their beliefs and in what they find holy. We have respected that, even as we have disagreed with it. The late Douglas Adams put it with his customary good humor, in an impromptu speech in 1998 (slightly abridged):

Now, the invention of the scientific method is, I'm sure we'll all agree, the most powerful intellectual idea, the most powerful framework for thinking and investigating and understanding and challenging the world around us that there is, and it rests on the premise that any idea is there to be attacked. If it withstands the attack then it lives to fight another day and if it doesn't withstand the attack then down it goes. Religion doesn't seem to work like that. It has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is, "Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not?--because you're not!" If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand if somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday,' you say, "I respect that."

The odd thing is, even as I am saying that, I am thinking "Is there an Orthodox Jew here who is going to be offended by the fact that I just said that?" But I wouldn't have thought "Maybe there's somebody from the left wing or somebody from the right wing or somebody who subscribes to this view or the other in economics" when I was making the other points. I just think "Fine, we have different opinions." But, the moment I say something that has something to do with somebody's (I'm going to stick my neck out here and say irrational) beliefs, then we all become terribly protective and terribly defensive and say "No, we don't attack that; that's an irrational belief but no, we respect it."

Why should it be that it's perfectly legitimate to support the Labor party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows--but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe . . . no, that's holy? What does that mean? Why do we ring-fence that for any other reason other than that we've just got used to doing so? There's no other reason at all, it's just one of those things that crept into being and once that loop gets going it's very, very powerful. So, we are used to not challenging religious ideas but it's very interesting how much of a furor Richard creates when he does it! Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you're not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is no reason why those ideas shouldn't be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn't be.

Douglas is dead, but I think he would join me in asking people now to stand up and break this absurd taboo. My respect for the Abrahamic religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September 11th. The last vestige of respect for the taboo disappeared as I watched the "Day of Prayer" in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: religion. It is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and say "Enough!" Let our tribute to the dead be a new resolve: to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.

Notwithstanding bitter sectarian hatreds over the centuries (all too obviously still going strong), Judaism, Islam and Christianity have much in common. Despite New Testament watering down and other reformist tendencies, all three pay historic allegiance to the same violent and vindictive God of Battles, memorably summed up by Gore Vidal in 1998:

The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze Age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved--Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. These are sky-god religions. They are, literally, patriarchal--God is the Omnipotent Father--hence the loathing of women for 2,000 years in those countries afflicted by the sky-god and his earthly male delegates. The sky-god is a jealous god, of course. He requires total obedience from everyone on earth, as he is not just in place for one tribe, but for all creation. Those who would reject him must be converted or killed for their own good.

In The Guardian of 15th September, I named belief in an afterlife as the key weapon that made the New York atrocity possible. Of prior significance is religion's deep responsibility for the underlying hatreds that motivated people to use that weapon in the first place. To breathe such a suggestion, even with the most gentlemanly restraint, is to invite an onslaught of patronizing abuse, as Douglas Adams noted. But the insane cruelty of the suicide attacks, and the equally vicious though numerically less catastrophic 'revenge' attacks on hapless Muslims living in America and Britain, push me beyond ordinary caution.

How can I say that religion is to blame? Do I really imagine that, when a terrorist kills, he is motivated by a theological disagreement with his victim? Do I really think the Northern Ireland pub bomber says to himself "Take that, Tridentine Transubstantiationist bastards!" Of course I don't think anything of the kind. Theology is the last thing on the minds of such people. They are not killing because of religion itself, but because of political grievances, often justified. They are killing because the other lot killed their fathers. Or because the other lot drove their great grandfathers off their land. Or because the other lot oppressed our lot economically for centuries.

My point is not that religion itself is the motivation for wars, murders and terrorist attacks, but that religion is the principal label, and the most dangerous one, by which a "they" as opposed to a "we" can be identified at all. I am not even claiming that religion is the only label by which we identify the victims of our prejudice. There's also skin color, language, and social class. But often, as in Northern Ireland, these don't apply and religion is the only divisive label around. Even when it is not alone, religion is nearly always an incendiary ingredient in the mix as well.

It is not an exaggeration to say that religion is the most inflammatory enemy-labelling device in history. Who killed your father? Not the individuals you are about to kill in 'revenge.' The culprits themselves have vanished over the border. The people who stole your great grandfather's land have died of old age. You aim your vendetta at those who belong to the same religion as the original perpetrators. It wasn't Seamus who killed your brother, but it was Catholics, so Seamus deserves to die "in return." Next, it was Protestants who killed Seamus so let's go out and kill some Protestants "in revenge." It was Muslims who destroyed the World Trade Center so let's set upon the turbaned driver of a London taxi and leave him paralyzed from the neck down.

The bitter hatreds that now poison Middle Eastern politics are rooted in the real or perceived wrong of the setting up of a Jewish State in an Islamic region. In view of all that the Jews had been through, it must have seemed a fair and humane solution. Probably deep familiarity with the Old Testament had given the European and American decision-makers some sort of idea that this really was the 'historic homeland' of the Jews (though the horrific stories of how Joshua and others conquered their Lebensraum might have made them wonder). Even if it wasn't justifiable at the time, no doubt a good case can be made that, since Israel exists now, to try to reverse the status quo would be a worse wrong.

I do not intend to get into that argument. But if it had not been for religion, the very concept of a Jewish state would have had no meaning in the first place. Nor would the very concept of Islamic lands, as something to be invaded and desecrated. In a world without religion, there would have been no Crusades; no Inquisition; no anti-Semitic pogroms (the people of the diaspora would long ago have intermarried and become indistinguishable from their host populations); no Northern Ireland Troubles (no label by which to distinguish the two 'communities,' and no sectarian schools to teach the children historic hatreds--they would simply be one community).

It is a spade we have here, let's call it a spade. The Emperor has no clothes. It is time to stop the mealy-mouthed euphemisms: 'Nationalists,' 'Loyalists,' 'Communities,' 'Ethnic Groups.' Religions is the word you need. Religion is the word you are struggling hypocritically to avoid.

Parenthetically, religion is unusual among divisive labels in being spectacularly unnecessary. If religious beliefs had any evidence going for them, we might have to respect them in spite of their concomitant unpleasantness. But there is no such evidence. To label people as death-deserving enemies because of disagreements about real world politics is bad enough. To do the same for disagreements about a delusional world inhabited by archangels, demons and imaginary friends is ludicrously tragic.

The resilience of this form of hereditary delusion is as astonishing as its lack of realism. It seems that control of the plane which crashed near Pittsburgh was probably wrestled out of the hands of the terrorists by a group of brave passengers. The wife of one of these valiant and heroic men, after she took the telephone call in which he announced their intention, said that God had placed her husband on the plane as His instrument to prevent the plane crashing on the White House. I have the greatest sympathy for this poor woman in her tragic loss, but just think about it! As my (also understandably overwrought) American correspondent who sent me this piece of news said:

"Couldn't God have just given the hijackers a heart attack or something instead of killing all those nice people on the plane? I guess he didn't give a flying fuck about the Trade Center, didn't bother to come up with a plan for them." (I apologize for my friend's intemperate language but, in the circumstances, who can blame her?)

Is there no catastrophe terrible enough to shake the faith of people, on both sides, in God's goodness and power? No glimmering realization that he might not be there at all: that we just might be on our own, needing to cope with the real world like grown-ups?

Billy Graham, Mr. Bush's spiritual advisor, said in Washington Cathedral:

But how do we understand something like this? Why does God allow evil like this to take place? Perhaps that is what you are asking now. You may even be angry at God. I want to assure you that God understands those feelings that you may have.

Well, that's big of God, I must say. I'm sure that makes the bereaved feel a whole lot better (the pathetic thing is, it probably does!). Mr. Graham went on:

I have been asked hundreds of times in my life why God allows tragedy and suffering. I have to confess that I really do not know the answer totally, even to my own satisfaction. I have to accept, by faith, that God is sovereign, and He is a God of love and mercy and compassion in the midst of suffering. The Bible says God is not the author of evil. It speaks of evil as a "mystery."

Less baffled by this deep theological mystery were two of America's best-known televangelists, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. In a conversation on Robertson's lucrative television show (religion is tax-exempt), they knew exactly where to put the blame. The whole thing was obviously caused by America's sin. Falwell said that God had protected America wonderfully for 225 years, but now, what with abortion and gays and lesbians and the ACLU, "all of them who have tried to secularize America . . . I point the finger in their face and say you helped this happen." "Well, I totally concur," responded Robertson. Bush, to his credit, swiftly disowned this characteristic example of the religious mind at work.

The United States is the most religiose country in the Western world, and its born-again Christian leader is eyeball to eyeball with the most religiose people on Earth. Both sides believe that the Bronze Age God of Battles is on their side. Both take risks with the world's future in unshakeable, fundamentalist faith that He will grant them the victory. Incidentally, people speak of Islamic Fundamentalists, but the customary genteel distinction between fundamentalist and moderate Islam has been convincingly demolished by Ibn Warraq in his well-informed book, Why I Am Not a Muslim.

The human psyche has two great sicknesses: the urge to carry vendetta across generations, and the tendency to fasten group labels on people rather than see them as individuals. Abrahamic religion gives strong sanction to both--and mixes explosively with both. Only the wilfully blind could fail to implicate the divisive force of religion in most, if not all, of the violent enmities in the world today. Without a doubt it is the prime aggravator of the Middle East. Those of us who have for years politely concealed our contempt for the dangerous collective delusion of religion need to stand up and speak out. Things are different now. "All is changed, changed utterly."

Richard Dawkins is professor of the Public Understanding of Science, University of Oxford, and author of The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker and Unweaving the Rainbow.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Another term of Bush and Cheney, and the US will be a Theocracy

You mean it isn't already?

Heck, Canada allowed Al Jazeer long before Fox News made a stink about it.

See, now this is the problem. Who told you that, Jimmy? Did they tell you about the restrictions placed on any cable carrier who carried AJ? Do you understand the reasons that Fox was turned down initially?

That was all reported in the allegedly liberal media and it was reported in the leftist media that exists only on the internet. If you want to check it out, go to the CRTC site though, they are the ones who made the decisions. They have all of their decisions documented online.

You know, I listen to NPR, read the Washington Post and NY Times and the Guardian in England and all are castigated as being too liberal,

Big deal. I also watch Fox News, and read the Washington Times which had a reasoned editorial about the efficacy of Torture under any situation.

I gotta wonder if either side is right about the media.

Noam Chomsky is right about the media. He's been right about the media for a very long time. The right denies it and villifies him. Most on the left have read a few of his articles or maybe showed up to one of his speeches, but they haven't really read his books. If they had, they'd be buying a lot less stuff. You should read his books.

The upscale headshop here carries them, but headshops are illegal in George Bush's Amerika, so I guess you'll have to go to Amazon. Maybe you can pick up a used one, it's likely never been read anyway. Noam is smart, but his writing is very dry. Not a lot of giggles there. Best to buy a lot of beer before you settle in to read him.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Nascar_James said:
Reverend Blair said:
Is that why his show has been rated the most popular news show on cable TV for over 4 years now?

Answer - that is one of the saddest commentaries about the american public as I have ever heard.

O'rielly quote "By banishing any mention of religious holidays, the Hillsborough County school board is setting back education and is practicing a kind of fascism. That's what they do in Cuba."

Answer - the man doesn't know right from left. Does he dress himself in the morning?

If you want to reach a deeper understanding of the currents of american culture I would second the suggestion of reading some Chomsky. They will be reading him a century from now as a major source of primary analysis, not O'rielly.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
Chomsky and Herman's "propaganda model" is still the best first tool for examining the bias of a country's news media.

Mark crispin Miller, Bill Moyers, Neil Postman, Eric Alterman and David Brock also have important things to say about the way in which structural and political bias propagandizes North Americans.

That being said, I believe that religion and spirituality have a central role in political discourse, at least as long as most people make the error of thinking that morality is necessarily tied to a belief in the supernatural.
As Jim Wallis has said, a budget is ultimately an ethical document.

Because I believe that political decisions are inevitably moral/ethical ones, and because supernatural belief systems seem to have the monopoly on the language of ethics, I believe that the assault on religion that we see all over the world is a particularly serious problem, if not the most serious problem we face.

This assault is being carried out on many fronts, by many people whose names are familiar to us: Osama Bin Laden, Pat Robertson, George W Bush, James Dobson, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and the list goes on and on...
I was happy to run across this op-ed piece by a religion columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times

While surely it is not solely Bush's doing, the moral morass facing (and, arguably, created by) his administration is as profound as any in our history.

Mired in political corruption of one variety or another, hamstrung (economically and spiritually) by an unjust war, and publicly shamed by the most despicable display of institutionalized racism since the slave era, as demonstrated in the unforgivably inept early response to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, the Bush administration has lost whatever moral voice it might have had.

The large-circulation dailies have been cowardly and derelict in duty since at least the 2000 election and retreated even further to positions of boot-licking toadyism after 9/11.

Maybe they're just shark-feeding because some blood has been drawn, but I hope not. American religion needs to reclaim the moral authority it had during the civil-rights movement or Bush's incompetent evil will be replaced by cynical realpolitik by the Democrats' next Robert MacNamara.[/quote]

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
It isn't as simple as the media portrays it; as a stuggle between religion and secularism. It the struggle between a political agenda that uses religious catch phrases to support and promote its goals and in doing so, win the support of many adherents of a particular type of Christian, not just fundamentalists, but also many Catholics and Orthodox against everyone else who it portrays as godless. I was involved in a debate on a particular forum where most the right wingers were atheists and most of the leftists were religious. In other words, things aren't as simplistic as one would think. I have had my "secular" (i.e. anything not directly under the religion category in a card catologue)opinions criticised by non-religious people and most critics of my religious believes have come from those of other faith systems. Methodists were instremental in the formation of the Labour Party in Britain and Lutherans in the growth of scandinavian and north German social democracy. At the same time, our conservative republic was founded by men who viewed God as nothing but a big clockmaker. What am I trying to say? I really don't have any idea. It's just us religious people who believe in a lot of, but not all, of what the left espouses are left rather isolated in Bush era america.