An American Patriot

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
An American Patriot

By jjw1965

When I was growing up, being patriotic meant waving the flag, lighting sparklers on the Fourth of July, going to school and learning how our country was founded.

We also learned that if you worked hard and saved your money, you could live the American dream, a house and a car, a wife and a few children and even a dog.

You would go to work for 8 hours a day, your children would go to school and your wife would have dinner waiting for you when you got home.

But as time went by, the strangest thing happened, “I grew up!” and the life I thought I would have was only on episodes of Happy Days.

Oh sure I went to work, and then I met my wife and we had children, we even had a dog, the only thing different was, 40 hours was not enough to support a family, so overtime was needed to allow my wife to stay home with the children.

The only way to make any real money was to work night shift, and guess what? No dinner waiting for you when you got home. The only thing waiting for me when I got home was silence, due to the fact that everyone else was asleep like normal people.

Time went buy and I discovered something else, do you remember the old saying “Wisdom comes with age”? Well it’s true!

I learned that some of the things that I thought were fact turned out to be nothing but lies, that a government for the people, by the people was just a dream of a past long forgotten, that these truths we hold dear, had been replaced by corporate greed.

Freedom had become just a word to be tossed around when ever an administration wanted to condone some atrocity against another country, and the very thing our founding fathers were against, ‘Democracy’ turned out just like they feared ‘Mob Rule’.

Slowly I seen the foundation of my country start to erode, education and the will to succeed became lost, no longer was the American dream a reality. The only reality was from the mainstream media, who turned most Americans into mindless sheep. Spitting out their propaganda for an ever growing machine, a machine that is our government. Who’s only goal is to turn its citizens into slaves.

No longer are we a republic, but an imperial rule feeding on the hard earned money and lives of its subjects. Creating multiple crises to get a reaction, so they can offer their solution. A solution that would take away more liberty, more freedom, a solution they would have the audacity to call the “Patriot Act”.

Many Americans bought into this lie as a tool to protect them from an unseen enemy, all the while its words held within them a deeper agenda, one that would incriminate millions of Americans.

A war with Iraq and the creation of Homeland Security were the next wave of protection from the wolves that would come into our country and cause us harm.

Blurry outdated satellite photos and questionable intelligence were used to convince a population of weapons of mass destruction, but the mass destruction was already going on at the home front.

Families being separated by both parents having to work, children bombarded by Xbox, MTV and Paxil. Our elderly living in poverty from an out of control Social Security System, jobs leaving to foreign countries and our young men and women losing their lives in an unjust war.

How long America, will you turn a blind eye to an ever growing problem? How long will you allow this tyranny to go on? How long will it be before we are chipped and herded like cattle? Can you not see? Can you not hear the wolves scratching at the door of freedom?

Or have you become drunk with the wine of propaganda, or worse, with the self centered attitude that it doesn’t matter to me as long as I have my life.

It will matter soon; just remember, tyranny shows no favoritism, and if you think you can survive by conforming and obeying this machine you are wrong. It will consume everyone and will make you a prisoner in your own country!

An American Patriot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
jjw1965

That was very well written. I was born in Canada but both my parents were American, and very good people. I have watched the erosion of the American dream for the last forty years or so. "Happy days" families have been a shrinking minority for many years. The Canadian "dream" is failing as well. Both my wife and I have made good money in our lives but I think we could have done with less and enjoyed our children more. Our kids have both been to college and both are doing fine but I wish we had spent more "quality time" with them. Ya can't go back can ya?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Great essay!

There is absolutely nothing patriotic about the radical right wingers and their intensely treasonous desire to bring on Armageddon. Those who oppose them are the REAL patriots!