Terrorist Attack in India

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Three explosions shake New Delhi, killing at least 58 people
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW DELHI (AP) - Near-simultaneous explosions rocked the Indian capital Saturday evening, tearing through a bus and two markets crowded with people shopping for gifts for a Hindu festival. At least 58 people were killed and dozens wounded in the blasts, which the government blamed on terrorists.

Police declared a state of emergency and closed all city markets. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urged calm, while denouncing the apparently co-ordinated bombings, which came amid unprecedented Indian-Pakistani talks on opening the Kashmir border to facilitate aid for survivors of the region's devastating Oct. 8 earthquake.

"These are dastardly acts of terrorism," Singh said in a brief televised statement.

"We shall defeat their nefarious designs and will not allow them to succeed. We are resolute in our commitment to fighting terrorism in all forms."

Asked who was responsible, he would only say "there are several clues." However, the Indian government faces opposition from dozens of militant groups - particularly Kashmiri separatists, some of whom also oppose the peace process between Pakistan and India.

The explosions also came hours after India and Pakistan began talks on opening their heavily militarized border in disputed Kashmir to bring food, shelter and medical aid to victims of the Himalayan region's massive Oct. 8 earthquake, which killed about 80,000 people, most in Pakistan.

Pakistan condemned the multiple attacks in New Delhi.

"The attack in a crowded market place is a criminal act of terrorism. The people and government of Pakistan are shocked at this barbaric act and express deep sympathy with the families of the victims," a Foreign Ministry statement said.

Prime Minister Paul Martin called the explosions "a cowardly act of violence clearly aimed at innocent civilians."

"Canada strongly condemns this act, and indeed all such terrorist attacks, which have killed and injured countless men, women and children," Martin said in a statement Saturday.

The Canadian High Commission in India is working with the Indian authorities to determine whether any Canadians were among the victims and to offer assistance, said the statement.

Canadian consular officials said there were no reports of any Canadian casualties.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the blasts "appear to have been targeted at heavily populated areas to produce maximum carnage."

"This is yet another example of terrorists' cynical and callous disregard for human life," Straw added. "On behalf of the British government, I would like to offer the people of India my support and deepest sympathy."

The first explosion hit New Delhi's main Paharganj market, leaving behind bloodstained streets and mangled stalls of wood and twisted metal. Within minutes came an explosion at the popular Sarojini Nagar market and the bus blast in the Govindpuri neighbourhood. Police said at least 60 people were wounded in the first blast and dozens in the other two.

The attacks targeted the many people shopping just days before the festival of Diwali, a major Hindu holiday during which families exchange gifts, light candles and celebrate with fireworks. The markets where the blasts occurred often sell fireworks that are elaborate and potentially dangerous.

"When I got up, there were people everywhere - they were bleeding and screaming," said Anil Gupta about 45 minutes after the blast as he sifted through the wreckage of his jewelry store. Scattered around his feet were bracelets, necklaces and earrings.

Home Minister Shivraj Patil said 39 people were killed in Sarojini Nagar, popular shopping district in southern part of the city filled with everything from knockoff designer clothing to kitchen crockery.

Sham Lal, an official with New Delhi's fire department, said at least 16 people died in the Paharganj market blast, and another three were killed on the bus. He had no further details.

The blast occurred in small square in the market and badly damaged a row of shops, including Khandelwal's clothing store. About an hour later, investigators stood around a small, debris-filled crater about three metres from the string of shops.

All around, broken glass and other wreckage littered the street, shops signs were ripped and twisted and clothes - mostly T-shirts and scarves - hung from low-strung power lines.

A witness to the second blast, Satinder Lal Sharma, said some boys warned him about an unclaimed bag near a tree and he "started shouting 'Run! Run!"' just before the explosion. It destroyed several shops and left the tree charred and without leaves.

Govind Singh, who sells wallets and toys on cart next to a juice shop devastated in the explosion, said at least five people from his village were killed.

The explosion was "so loud that I fell down. Then a fire started," he said.

"I took out at least 20 bodies, most of them were children," Singh said. He and others wrapped the bodies in sheets that were being sold by one of the destroyed shops.

As he spoke someone asked him, "Where is Lal Chand?"

"He is gone," Singh replied, and then started crying.

At Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, Dr. S.K. Sharma, the emergency room chief, said his team had received four victims from the first blast who arrived dead and "charred beyond recognition." They were treating another 30 injured from the same explosion, he said.

He explained that burns were not caused by chemicals and most shrapnel injuries were from flying glass - not the screws or ball bearings sometimes packed into crude bombs. As he spoke, an ambulance pulled up and paramedics wheeled more victims into the hospital.

©The Canadian Press, 2005

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...it seems like Muslim Islamic terrorists are overwelmingly responsible for terrorism all over the world....not just against the US or the west, but they will attack people in India and Africa.... and they can't get along peacefully with anyone....its all about killing killing killing.... we need to win this war against evil.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
it seems like Muslim Islamic terrorists are overwelmingly responsible for terrorism all over the world

They are just trying to keep up with the US. You know how competitive religious extremists like Bush and bin Laden can be.

Have they provided proof that the explosion had anything to do with Muslim terrorists though, Hanky? The article you infringed on the copyright of clearly says, "...the Indian government faces opposition from dozens of militant groups - particularly Kashmiri separatists, some of whom also oppose the peace process between Pakistan and India. "

No mention of Islamic terrorists there at all.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
They are just trying to keep up with the US. You know how competitive religious extremists like Bush and bin Laden can be.

....ahhh well I can't change your point of view no matter how crooked it is....but I find hope in the fact that we are able to fight this war while others can wine and bitch all they want and have no say of how it ends. In the end whether we prevail or fail.....they are on the outside looking in....and in the end if there is a democratically stable government in Iraq I look forward to see what the people at the opposite end of the spectrum will say....but it is all in due time.

...and whether it was islamic terrorists or not is still to be seen....however if past history has any relevance it has show the Pakistani muslim extremists to be the aggressor in the Indian Pakistan Kashmir conflict.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Terrorist Attack in I

Well same with the Oklahoma city bombing they blamed the muslims first. I do know in India their are some militant Sikh terrorists but I guess we will have to wait and see the investigation to unfold before we can blame anyone. Not good to assume anything until we have the facts.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: Terrorist Attack in I

According to some news sources, most fingers are pointing at Sikh militants who disagree with the kashmir separation. India has many enemies besides Islamic radicals. Many will take this opportunity to wreck havoc before the holidays to disrupt the opening of borders between India and Pakistan after the earthquake.