Why France is opposed to sanctions on Syria.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
French diplomatic types love to hide their devious designs behind high-minded ideals, such as "justice" in this case. But, when looked at more closely, we usually find the true motivations are more sordid.

A good commentary by this blogger on the cynical nature of France's noticeably hasty rush to avoid taking a hard line on Syria.

--------------

"France Says Too Early for Sanctions Against Syria," read the headline of this news article. I agree it's too early, since the final report of the United Nations won't be released until December. But somehow I suspected France meant waiting longer than two months.

"We have here an opportunity to do justice with an independent inquiry. Let's go to the end ... if we need to make it longer, let's do it, and afterwards lets see what the consequences should be, including on the question... of sanctions," stated French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy. That's right; the French are already asking for an extension, even though the UN hasn't asked for it.

Let's review the facts quickly. Rafiq al-Hariri, former prime minister of Lebanon, was killed along with 22 others when his motorcade was blown up in Beruit last February. The UN probe issued a preliminary report indicating they had evidence of Syrian involvement. Lebanon even froze five accounts they believe are related to the murder. Things aren't looking good for some major Syrian officials.

But again, I wouldn't suggest sanctions before the final report. So why has Bush warned that he would push for them, and why is France already objecting? Because the report also found evidence of massive systematic cover-ups by the Syrian government. So we find ourselves in a familiar situation; see if you can see any analogies:

* A government is widely believed to have conducted something illegal.
* The UN is investigating.
* The UN complains that the government is not cooperating, and writes a letter to the Secretary General asking for help.
* The US tries to apply pressure to force cooperation.
* France objects.

Why would a country that has profited from stealing money from the Oil for Food program, bought oil from Saddam under sanctions, conducted illegal trade with Iraq, and generally profited from Saddam's rule -- why would such a country possibly oppose anything to upset Syria? Maybe because Syria, the former French colony, conducts eighteen percent of its trade with France. That's over a billion dollars worth of exports, and nearly as much in imports, each year. How many French politicians can you buy with a billion dollars? All of them.

French politicians are reliving the past, believing that they are a second superpower that can counter America's influence in the world. As such, the believe anything that hurts America is good for them. Saving a few billion in trade is a cherry on the top.

Really think the French are our friends, deep down? A survey found that twenty-five percent were hoping America would lose the war in Iraq. And President Chirac? Remember in the early 1990's, when Jose Bove destroyed a McDonald's franchise (which he viewed as a symbol of America)? Chirac publicly supported him, claiming "complete solidarity," and even going so far as to say "I detest McDonalds."

France has been a thorn in America's side since the French and Indian Wars of the eighteenth century. Why should we expect a change of heart now?

If you'd like a complete history of America's relationship with France, I recommend Our Oldest Enemy, an excellent book on the subject.

nervous-rodent.blogspot.com . . .

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, that would certainly seem to be the American point of view.

Would anyone say the sanctions against Iraq had a positive effect? If it can be proven in the World Court that Syrians were involved, then those individuals should be punished. Sanctions mainly hurt the poor.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
sanctions hurt people who had nothing to do with the offence. as to america, I hope the bodies of dead american soldiers pile high where ever they interfere with other nations. Hurray for France. Vive la France!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Why France is opposed

The US wants sanctions as a way to achieve regime change. As usual, the next regime will be a US puppet government all to happy to let the US plunder Syria's natural resources.

The few remaining Thatcherites in Britain, including Tony Blair, support the US in this kind of endeavour because they, like the Bush regime, live on greed.

The only sanctions in recent memory that actually worked were the ones placed on South Africa. Those sanctions were not upheld by the USA (Reagan was a prejudiced bastard as well as a war criminal) and worked largely because a large segment of the South African people supported them.

The sanctions the US wants to place on Syria promise to be closer to the brutal sanctions that led to so many children starving and/or succumbing to disease in Iraq. The brutal and ineffective results of those sanctions led to Oil for Food, but although the program was largely effective it was really too little too late. That program would have been much more effective if the US and other members of the Security Council wouldn't have tolerated the abuses within the program, but they were playing political games.

If the US would sign the ICC agreement, then they could push for any members of the Syrian government that the UN finds to have been involved to be tried in International Court. The USA is an international scofflaw though, a rogue nation that sanctions assassination and torture, and is afraid to be brought under the rule of law. Because of that, the USA should have no say in Syria whatsoever.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I agree with you all on the sanctions issue, but I don't think that blogger has accurately reflected the French position, anyway. The French have called for a UN Resolution demanding Syrian co-operation into the Hariri inquiry, and in strong terms. What they've also said, quite correctly, is that we should wait until the full inquiry is complete before talking about sanctions, not base such serious actions on the results of a preliminary inquiry. All perfectly reasonable.

PARIS - France wants a UN Security Council resolution to be passed demanding that Syria cooperate fully with an international probe into the murder of former Lebanese prime minister Rafiq Hariri, French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said Monday.

The UN must "demand from the Syrian authorities that they collaborate entirely with this inquiry and commit themselves to cooperating fully with the Mehlis commission" investigating Hariri's assassination in February, he told reporters.

"If it (Syria) does not cooperate, Mr (Detlev) Mehlis will tell the Security Council and, in that case, there will be consequences," Douste-Blazy said.

He added that he hoped a resolution could be quickly submitted and that it would be adopted unanimously."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Like, let's not run off half-cocked like last time. :wink: :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I agree with you all on the sanctions issue, but I don't think that blogger has accurately reflected the French position, anyway.

That's because he supports the US position. That position has nothing to do with the assassination and everything to do with Syria's oil fields.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
I agree with you all on the sanctions issue, but I don't think that blogger has accurately reflected the French position, anyway.

That's because he supports the US position. That position has nothing to do with the assassination and everything to do with Syria's oil fields.

Quite. I thought it was especially hypocritical - if par for the course from these people - to accuse the French of acting out of concern for profits. :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Why France is opposed

Yeah...at least the French sometimes prosecute their corporate criminals. The Americans put them in the White House. ;-)