Engineers find thousands of munitions in Iraq

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
TAJI, Iraq, October 17, 2005

A combat engineer sifts through the sun-bleached sand and uncovers a shiny rocket tube as other Soldiers scramble into the pit to pry the tube from the ground.

They've been at this for hours and found hundreds of pounds of explosives, but the site isn't empty yet.

The Soldiers of 70th Engineer Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division found the weapons cache in a remote area northwest of Baghdad and worked to uncover the munitions for several days.

Since the 70th Eng. Bn., nicknamed "Kodiaks," started digging in the arid, desert-like terrain, they have unearthed more than 700 mortar rounds (ranging from 60-millimeter to 120-millimeter), more than 700 rocket-propelled grenades, hundreds of rockets and 51,000 rounds of anti-aircraft ammunition.

The Kodiak Soldiers, assisted by troops from 977th Military Police Company, also found several mortar tubes, various explosives, small-arms weapons, homemade rocket launchers, wires and timing devices.

"Any time we find a cache this size, we take a lot of pride in it. It's a big win for us," said Capt. Jesse Curry, commander of 70th Eng. Bn.'s C Company. "We know that these are rounds that won't be buried on the side of the road in our sector or around Baghdad."

The catalyst for the cache discovery was a routine patrol conducted by C Co. miles away from the site.

"We found the cache based on a ‘snap’ traffic stop and that led us out to this site in the first place," said Command Sgt. Maj. Anthony M. Cady, command sergeant major for the Kodiaks. "It's kind of like a piece of string frayed on a sweater. We just pulled on it and instead of the piece of string ending, we ended up with a whole sweater."

During their combat operations, the C Co. patrol pulled over a truck and found fuses inside. The Soldiers detained the two men in the truck, questioned them, and got the information that led them to the general area of the weapons site.

Rest of article: http://www.blackanthem.com/News/military_2005101706.html

See the bombs?

Uncle

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
no1, it must be WMD..............not

3"mortar rounds are found all over any battle field If your position is overrun you don't have time to pick your extra rounds. But I say again, If you didn't invade the country, you wouldn't have found them.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
#juan said:
And your point is?
Either we are to applaud this killer move against the insurgents in Iraq, or he has deluded himself into believing that this is proof that all those WMD are still out there, lurking under the next sand dune.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
GL the thing that gets me is that Uncle wants us to think that this is proof of evil intent on the part of the Iraqis. The Iraqis had an army, that army had mortars. It only stands to reason that they had mortar rounds. A silly topic by a silly person.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
#juan said:
. . . A silly topic by a silly person.
I almost feel sorry for Bush’s thralls.

They bought a pig in a poke, and now must learn to like pork.

Then I remember that they voted twice, and I choke off the sympathy.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
#juan said:
GL the thing that gets me is that Uncle wants us to think that this is proof of evil intent on the part of the Iraqis. The Iraqis had an army, that army had mortars. It only stands to reason that they had mortar rounds. A silly topic by a silly person.

we know what uncles' game is. The same o same o neo con manipulative game of bringing up certain "information" at convenient times to distract, divert or try to defend the indefensible.

Not buying.. :roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Unclepercy

see the bombs Uncle

Exactly what is your point here Uncle?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You guys can whale away offended by Uncle Percy's post or question what his point is, but you do know one thing: the article tells you that a cache of munitions was found.

That's all.

Perhaps you may not want to believe it, thinking that cynicism is a synonym for automatic truth.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: Engineers find thousands of munitions in Iraq

jimmoyer said:
You guys can whale away offended by Uncle Percy's post or question what his point is, but you do know one thing: the article tells you that a cache of munitions was found.

That's all.

Perhaps you may not want to believe it, thinking that cynicism is a synonym for automatic truth.

You're just going round in neocon circles now, jim - #juan put it succinctly:
The Iraqis had an army, that army had mortars.

So what?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Engineers find thousa

no1important said:
The neocons are desperate to find anything to justify "W"'s little colonization scheme, thats all. They are grasping at straws.

how true. IF so many people had not died .....been killed /slaugtered by the USR............it would be a comedy .

they look so foolish doing this charade.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Hard luck Henry !

I guess you're right.

A circle it is. I say all the post really says is that a munitions cache was found. You say that Iraq had an army and yes that is certainly more to the point.

I agree.

So what.

I guess I was reacting to the irritated tone I perceived in the responses to that post and I don't think that post aspired to anything higher than simply saying a munitions cache was discovered.

Aiiiiiiii.

You're right, I weary of my own circle, like a dog going around and around to find just the right spot and the right moment to lie down.

Woof !

My bone.

There it is !!!

Aye carumba.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: Engineers find thousa

jimmoyer said:
You guys can whale away offended by Uncle Percy's post. . . cynicism is a synonym for automatic truth.
You are correct . . .

Every time I see neocon thralls passing off minnows as whales, I do tend to turn all Ahabish and try throwing a dart into it.

Reverend Blair said:
I'll bet that if we had a look around the US, we'd find weapons there too.
Heck, not just weapons, but WMD!

Stockpiled, maintained, aimed, and ready to fire.

Heck, they even brag about it.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I'm surprised they didn't dust the shells with anthrax before letting the reporters in to cover this story... :roll:

Iraqi WMDs killing reporters would make a lot of neocon pig-feckers happy-happy...

Especially some of those uber-liberal commie ones... :roll: