White House downplaying Martin's threats on oil

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
To say the least, I'm very surprised of Martin using oil as a weapon... Yet, I'm very pleased by it. If they want to play like that, we can cause them much more hassle than they have to us. I say cut off the oil and water supplies and let them feel the pain of having a criminal government. Get with it, George.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Maybe Paul Martin means business this once. China will buy all the oil we can produce,and we'll have better trade relations with them..a good thing,as they are the major producing nation now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: White House downplayi

I think Martin kind of means business on this...there's an election coming and Canadian public sentiment is that it's time the US either abides by NAFTA or we go elsewhere.

I don't think Martin's heart is really in it though. He's been sucking up to Georgie since he came to office.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: White House downplayi

Reverend Blair said:
I think Martin kind of means business on this...there's an election coming and Canadian public sentiment is that it's time the US either abides by NAFTA or we go elsewhere.

I don't think Martin's heart is really in it though. He's been sucking up to Georgie since he came to office.

well........martin better decide pretty damned soon......who he is leading and what kind of leadership -we the Canadians ) ....want.

He wants to be palsy with the bush next door.?.....FINE....but do it on personal time........Not business or gov't time. He had better have the jam to stick to this now. Sooo. tired of being jerked around by the US and a CA gov't that allows it passively to happen. Hopefully the dynamics start to change now..... as even martin should be able to know what side his bread is buttered on........( so to speak).....and the trouble the bush regime is in now. /or can cause .

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He'll be keeping an eye on the polls, Ocean. If Harper seems to be gaining based on the CPC's opposition to his speech, he'll back off. If the Liberals seem to be picking up support based on this, he'll push a little more. If the NDP seems to be picking up support based on their opposition to NAFTA, Martin will push even harder.

Once the election is over though, if Martin gets a majority, all bets are off.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Nope. I saw it on TV about 20 times though. He didn't directly link softwood and energy, but he hinted at it. That's why I gave the three choices.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

China oil demand massive

Minister of Natural Resources John McCallum met with the Presidents of China’s two largest oil companies. Given China’s demands for petroleum McCallum suggested that Canada could be exporting 400,000 barrels of oil per day by 2012.

China is also interested in investing in Canadian oil. A pipeline is required for the deal to proceed.

Enbridge has a proposal to ship as much as 400,000 barrels a day through a new pipeline to the West Coast.

The US better smarten up.

Canada's oil will overtake Saudi Arabia Interesting article.

Speaking at the Woodrow Wilson Center cross-border forum Orrin Hatch said that Canada would likely exceed Saudi Arabia in proven oil reserves. Hatch, a prominent Republican Senator also asserted that the U.S. cannot afford to alienate Canada over the softwood lumber dispute.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Henry Champ was just on TV saying that Condi is going to have to talk about trade since Martin's speech this morning. The US press that's following her around is almost certain to pick up on the story.

Martin should make it the only issue in this meeting. He should do so publicly and he should do so bluntly. If Condi wants to talk about other things, she should have to deal with this first.

I doubt Martin will do that though.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well you guys SHOULD play China and US off of each other.

Welcome to the game of GEO-POLITICS.

We've done a bad job keeping friends, so we'll just have to hunker down and re-evaluate while we get ganged up on.

Hey, I guess it's about time and I think it will improve America and make it even tougher, but more importantly wiser.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: White House downplaying Martin's threats on oil

jimmoyer said:

We've done a bad job keeping friends, so we'll just have to hunker down and re-evaluate while we get ganged up on.

Hey, I guess it's about time and I think it will improve America and make it even tougher, but more importantly wiser.

Not sure it is SMART to adopt any "usr style" tactics. We have seen where it has brought the USR.......and that is not the path to take. Different and SMART strategies are called for.

Geo politics does not have to have the "game" element to it.... ...and can be a lot more civilized.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

8O Wholly feck jim are ya alright feeling okay .I can't fecking believe it no riddle just a straight answer .What the feck is up :?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
mrmom2 said:

8O Wholly feck jim are ya alright feeling okay .I can't fecking believe it no riddle just a straight answer .What the feck is up :?

a shocker , ain't it ??? Let's' not breath .........as it might revert back to the other form..;-)