Terrorist Student in the US Illegally ... Arrested

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
They should make an example of this individual. It's bad enough this individual was in the US illegally, now they find a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act ... in his apartment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169647,00.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A university student from Egypt was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled "How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Mahmoud Maawad (search), 29, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of wire fraud and fraudulent use of a Social Security number.

Maawad, who is in the United States illegally, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying science and economics at the University of Memphis (search).

"My school is everything. I stay in this country for seven years; I stay for the school," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the airport-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

"The specific facts and circumstances are scary," Parker said.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson (search) ruled that Maawad be held without bond.

"It is hard for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (aviation) items, and nothing else to indicate Mr. Maawad plans to stay in the community," Anderson said.

Maawad had ordered $3,000 in aviation materials, including DVDs titled "Ups and Downs of Takeoffs and Landings," "Airplane Talk," "Mental Math for Pilots" and "Mastering GPS Flying," FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.

The company reported Maawad to authorities when he didn't pay for $2,500 of merchandise it had delivered, Gulczynski said.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
If this guy was really not up to something, he should have left once his Visa had expired. No excuses. Apparently he's been here 7 years. That explains how he was able to get in ... he was already here before 9/11. No way he would have been able to use an excuse of being a student to enter the country if he had tried this after 9/11.

To top it off, now they find a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act at his apartment??? This is outrageous. I say, throw the book at this guy ... teach him a lesson.

Mark my words, this guy will go down.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
missile said:
As he was legally arrested,the topic headline doesn't make sense :?

Sure it does. He was an illegal arrested on suspicion of terrorist activity. So he's actually got 2 crimes against him, being here illegally and evidence of terrorist activity.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
The piece doesn't say he IS a terrorist, James, that's just your fevered imagination. He was caught in possession of items you can buy - perfectly legally - anywhere. Calm down; you're just frightening yourself.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Nascar_James said:
missile said:
As he was legally arrested,the topic headline doesn't make sense :?

Sure it does. He was an illegal arrested on suspicion of terrorist activity. So he's actually got 2 crimes against him, being here illegally and evidence of terrorist activity.

HUH???? :roll:

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Terrorist Student in the US Illegally ... Arrested

Hard-Luck Henry said:
The piece doesn't say he IS a terrorist, James, that's just your fevered imagination. He was caught in possession of items you can buy - perfectly legally - anywhere. Calm down; you're just frightening yourself.

The FBI is investigating whether Mahmoud Maawad, 29, had any connection to terrorists.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Maawad be held without bond.

I'd say chances are the FBI will get something on him. I'd like to see him explain the evidence found at his place.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I'd like to see him explain the evidence found at his place.

whatever happened to "innocent until PROVEN guilty???" (or does that apply in the US anymore??)

Maybe "we " should wait until all the evidence is in and he has made a statement.

might be an idea to get away from the UNCIVILIZED Hang them first .......ask questions later MO that is gaining momentum in the US. A wee bit barbaric ........ya know.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Ocean Breeze said:
I'd like to see him explain the evidence found at his place.

whatever happened to "innocent until PROVEN guilty???" (or does that apply in the US anymore??)

Maybe "we " should wait until all the evidence is in and he has made a statement.

might be an idea to get away from the UNCIVILIZED Hang them first .......ask questions later MO that is gaining momentum in the US. A wee bit barbaric ........ya know.

Good thing however is, aside from suspicion of terrorist activity, he did commit a crime. By deliberately overstaying his visa he became an "illegal" and they can hold him on this crime while they investigate his possible ties to terrorist activity. I'll say one thing ... this guy sure wasn't very smart.