Post Katrina- Disaster updates.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
MSNBC Breaking News
------------------------------------------------------

Embattled FEMA chief Michael Brown resigns -

WASHINGTON Sep 12, 2005 — Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president," three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Brown, under fire for FEMA's performance in the Gulf Coast, said he feared he had become a distraction.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown told The Associated Press.

Embattled FEMA Director Mike Brown Resigns
Most Believe Bush Administration Lacks Katrina Plan
The Note: Anger, Management

His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Homeland Security Department. Brown had been roundly criticized for FEMA's sluggish response to the hurricane, which has caused political problems for Bush and fellow Republicans. He also was accused of padding his resume, which Brown denied Friday.

The president ducked questions about Brown's resignation. "Maybe you know something I don't know. I've been working," the president said to reporters on an inspection tour of damage in Gulfport, Miss. Bush said he planned to talk with Brown's boss, Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff, from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.

"There will be plenty of time to figure out what went right and what went wrong," Bush said.

Polls show most Americans believe Bush could have done more to help Katrina's victims, though they also blame leaders of Louisiana and New Orleans. Bush's overall job approval rating is at the lowest point of his presidency.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi called Brown's departure long overdue.

"His resignation is the right thing for the country and for the people of the Gulf Coast states," she said in a statement.

Brown, who said he last talked to Bush five or six days ago, said the resignation was his idea. He spoke Saturday to White House chief of staff Andy Card, who did not request his departure, according to Brown.

"I'm turning in my resignation today," Brown said. "I think it's in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown, under fire and recalled to Washington in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, resigned on Monday, senior administration officials said on Monday.

Under fire for a slow response to Hurricane Katrina, Brown was pulled out of Gulf Coast operations on Friday and recalled to Washington. President George W. Bush has been under pressure from Democrats to fire him.

Accusations also arose last week that Brown had exaggerated his background in disaster relief in his official biography and resume.

The officials would not give any details except to confirm that Brown, who has been FEMA's director since 2003, had resigned.

The resignation came three days after Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff removed Brown from federal relief efforts in the Gulf Coast and sent him back to Washington.

In announcing his decision, Chertoff said he wanted Brown to be in Washington to continue administering FEMA.

During a visit to Gulfport, Mississippi, Bush was asked about Brown's resignation. He told reporters he had not talked to Brown or to Chertoff but said he would speak with the Homeland Security chief on the Air Force One flight back to Washington.

Brown resigned just ahead of the axe. That he had no real qualifications for the job, became evident to just about everyone.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
That he had no real qualifications for the job, became evident to just about everyone.

this "qualifications" .......or lack of is a big issue (IMHO). Seems the problem started with poor "hiring " standards..... and not examining the capability backgrounds of the individual. Political alliances is not a standard for hiring someone to do a JOB and a very challenging job. Qualifications , experience MUST be scrutinized . Something went wrong from well before this disaster....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Post Katrina- Disaste

He's meant to be the sacrificail lamb here. They can now blame everything on him, protecting Bush and Chertoff.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Not that long ago, old dubya was saying what a great job "brownie was doing over at fema. What else you gonna say when you give a job to a friend! brownie alright, as in brown nosing. Blah!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
New man for FEMA

WASHINGTON Sep 12, 2005 — Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned Monday, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience as his replacement.

R. David Paulison, head of FEMA's emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

Firefighter to Replace Brown As FEMA Chief
Most Believe Bush Administration Lacks Katrina Plan
The Note: Anger, Management

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography.

Paulison will lead an agency that has been under fire for its response to the Katrina disaster. Local officials and members of Congress have cited confusion and a lagging response to the Gulf Coast devastation.

Brown had taken much of the heat and was relieved of his onsite command on Friday. In an interview Monday with The Associated Press, Brown said he resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president." He said he feared he had become a distraction.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown said.

His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Homeland Security Department. He also was accused of padding his resume, which Brown has denied.

The president ducked questions about Brown's resignation. "Maybe you know something I don't know. I've been working," the president said to reporters on an inspection tour of damage in Gulfport, Miss. Bush said he planned to talk with Brown's boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.

gee, bush boy is getting a tad testy ,ain't he??? Losing it??

(IMHO.......he is WAY over his head......ability /capability wise)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Post Katrina- Disaste

no1important said:
Just saw on Global National our Navy doctors due to bureaucratic bs will not be able to treat any injured Americans they come across. :roll:

all this wound up US bureaucratic BS is just shooting themselves in the foot. The obstacles "they " have created are beyond comprehension. Just as well about this one...... as who the hell needs a US style law suit. ???

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian

Ocean Breeze said:
no1important said:
Just saw on Global National our Navy doctors due to bureaucratic bs will not be able to treat any injured Americans they come across. :roll:

all this wound up US bureaucratic BS is just shooting themselves in the foot. The obstacles "they " have created are beyond comprehension. Just as well about this one...... as who the hell needs a US style law suit. ???

Just like I told Vanni, its a CLUSTERF*** down here! Now they want copies of our Income Tax Forms? What to see if we paid taxes?

Here keep your FEMA aid, your MREs and bottled Water. They say we need vaccinations but will our health plans pay for them?

These "obstacles" will haunt the local politicos in 2007!

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Martin whatever they tell you do not take any vaccinations 8O What the feck is going on vaccinations 8O For what purpose oh I'm afraid bad things are afoot down there .If you can leave I think it would be in your best intrests to .Something very wrong is going on down there 8O

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Post Katrina- Disaste

Brian Williams mentioned that on The Daily show last week. Its just like with Iraq, they do not want bodies shown so it keeps their public support up. They do not want their citizens to see how bad it really is. I think "freedom of the press" is a thing of the past with the current "W" government.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

no1important said:
Brian Williams mentioned that on The Daily show last week. Its just like with Iraq, they do not want bodies shown so it keeps their public support up. They do not want their citizens to see how bad it really is. I think "freedom of the press" is a thing of the past with the current "W" government.

It's really too late for all of that...we've already seen footage and photos of bodies floating in Canal Street...