GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Vacation is Over...

An open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

09/02/05

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
just spent two days with a couple of military (Canadian). Both were outraged at Bush's deployment of military to protect property instead of saving lives. There are still people dying down there due to FEMA's lack of planning and this President's lack of compassion for the poor. Impeach his ass and then come and get those corrupt politicians in Ottawa.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4211320.stm

more messages about/to bush...... from various parts of the world.

this just might be a "turning point"...... for the USers..... to wake up and get his sorry ass out of the oval office. (not just his.....but the entire INHUMANE gang ) :twisted: :evil:

Ambrose Murunga in Kenya's Daily Nation

My first reaction when television images of the survivors of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans came through the channels was that the producers must be showing the wrong clip. The images, and even the disproportionately high number of visibly impoverished blacks among the refugees, could easily have been a re-enactment of a scene from the pigeonholed African continent

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I think you misunderstand GL. With constant cuts to the levees over the past four years...this catastrophe could have been minimized.If the current government had a little foresight... and allowed the restructuring the Core of Engineers had recommended.I am not defending Bush, anyone who knows me can attest to the sheer disdain I have for the man. What I am presenting here is that Factcheck.com cannot entriely dismiss, that the current regime, is without blame in this tragedy.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Could we be saying the same thing, differently? :?

What I am saying is that whatever the historic causes of the levees’ collapse, Bush is only playing with words. He knew that the ACE had foreseen (and presumably informed him) that under quite possible conditions the levees’ integrity could be compromised, and water could flood New Orleans.

Nobody anticipated breach of the levees?

In an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on September 1, President Bush said:

Bush: I don’t think anyone anticipated breach of the levees …Now we’re having to deal with it, and will.

Bush is technically correct that a "breach" wasn't anticipated by the Corps, but that doesn't mean the flooding wasn't forseen. It was. But the Corps thought it would happen differently, from water washing over the levees, rather than cutting wide breaks in them.

Yet, he ignored those warnings, consistently cut back their funding, so that a long list of projects (not improvements, but necessary repairs) could not be started.

When floods happen to inhabited cities, usually many inhabitants die — inhabitants whom he was supposed to be protecting.

He may want to think of himself as a “War President” but he was hired as the CEO of the US government.

He could not have done more to cause the inundation if he had tried. Now he is trying to hide behind the difference between two synonymous terms.

Paradoxes and weasel words might work for small indiscretions and shampoo commercials, but when it comes to 10,000 human lives (the Red Cross estimate from The Times-Picayune article “Washing Away”) I doubt that all the oil on the Gulf of Mexico can help him slide out of this debacle.

Or at least it should not.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
you could just said he was bullshitting :p

We have no clear understanding of what bullshit is, why there is so much of it, or what functions it serves. . . . Even the most basic and preliminary questions about bullshit remain . . . not only unanswered but unasked.

-- Harry Frankfurt

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Could we be saying the same thing, differently?

Not only could you be, but you are. :wink:

There have been numerous articles and reports, some from the ACE, stating very clearly that a hurricane above force 3 could lead to a breach in the levees. Most of those reports and articles also stated that a hurricane above force 3 was likely since the gulf is warmer due to global warming.

You see what happened though? Georgie couldn't be seen to accept that because then he'd have to accept global warming. Not only that, but the reports about the strength of the levees were based on science too. Georgie knows that science is wrong because science contadicts his religion and interferes with his natural greed.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Precisely Rev...the past four years of cutbacks to the levees, prove that Bush has left this country vulnerable in many more ways. This stupid war has been a distraction from the fact that this President does not know how to, lead ...or govern anything. The supposed,sudden "concern" by him in New Orleans flies in the face of the reality that the poor in this country deal with.
The scary thing is ...the very people that have elected him are the ones that will suffer the most.

This forum has queried many times as to how Georgie boy got elected the second time. The simplified answer is two fold.

Their is a large section of this population working to three jobs ...just to eke by. They don't have time to vote, they're too busy surviving.

The second is the aging population...and a certain dogma they have. Some remember world War II. Most remember Korea, all remember Vietnam. None are willing to vote out a president at the time of war. This is a sign of weakness to the enemy. Now , this is a new type of enemy. One that doesn't care about the rules of war. This instills even more willingness to support a president that is inept.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
hi zen: ......good points.. thx.

about:
Now , this is a new type of enemy. One that doesn't care about the rules of war.

not sure I buy into that .....either as a "reason" or an "excuse". If this new 'enemy' is terrorism........it is not new by any means. What has changed is that the bush regime has "glorified' it (terrorism) into an "enemy "......in order to go into a war foothold.........for other agendas. This approach has not deterred the "enemy" ......nor will it. In fact it plays into the "enemy's " hands.

But because it was a "local" attack...... perceptions changed, and suddenly it became a real issue. As long as it was "somewhere over there .........even if it involved US interests...... It was a minor ripple in people's lives. Again, ineptness in leadership allowed this "enemy" or issue to evolve to the degree it supposedly is now. So now the US has gone overboard in the other direction. ( a predictable behavior pattern unfortunately...... and something the "enemy" --- terrorists .....counted on. ) What we are seeing (IMHO) is a nation becoming more unstable , as there is no direction anymore. The gov't has so many fires going on right now......(over extended itself ) ......that it is more vunerable than ever.

about the question of why was bush "elected" again. That one is just too hard to figure out completely. Given his propensity for cheating/lying and plain dishonesty......It would not be a surprise to learn/verify that the elections were carefully rigged...so as not to appear rigged. Could never figure out what happened to the "anyone BUT bush " slogan/ campagne. A carefully orchestrated media presentation of "facts' , news, etc..... played a big part in it too. (IMHO.) The media (news ) has changed radically in the past four plus years. It is not news anymore. .......it is propaganda /politics with tidbits of selected information. .......and part of the "conditioning" process of a population.

quite curious to note that it is more important for bush to be 'war" president .......than president of what used to be a very fine nation. --- the latter providing him with such an opportunity to advance the US even further .....in all spheres.....particularly at home. ( poverty, global warming, new technology to reduce oil dependancy ........and gosh knows what else...) But the reality is that he is not only inept........he is psychologically dysfunctional..... and the latter makes him even harder to deal with. He is resistive to any concepts /ideas that are not his own.........and that is where his "leadership" skills are most deficient. He wanted to control far too much.......and might end up losing control of all his ventures.... (if he has not already)

fascinating changes ......but the most challenging to swallow is the constant verbal bashing......and blame game these blokes partake in. Seems they have no idea of what it means to take /be responsible. let alone admit to errors so corrective/constructive measures can be applied.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
OB... I was refering to the "enemy" as not caring if it kills the innocent. ( of which George part deux...or duh if you prefer is also guilty of...) Actually preferring, to kill the innocent over trained military personal. As a method of shock. I agree it is not new, but is as barbaric as those that have use it or will use it in the future. As well as, a bit cowardly.It is as cowardly as lying to the populace to further your economic prosperity and political status. The problem lies in not having enough foresight and rushing in to a situation without any planning. Figuring it out as you go along just doesn't cut it, when you are asking people to die for you.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: An open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

zenfisher said:
OB... I was refering to the "enemy" as not caring if it kills the innocent. ( of which George part deux...or duh if you prefer is also guilty of...) Actually preferring, to kill the innocent over trained military personal. As a method of shock. I agree it is not new, but is as barbaric as those that have use it or will use it in the future. As well as, a bit cowardly.It is as cowardly as lying to the populace to further your economic prosperity and political status. The problem lies in not having enough foresight and rushing in to a situation without any planning. Figuring it out as you go along just doesn't cut it, when you are asking people to die for you.

Ok....zen. With you. :) Agree . Bush has been riding it by the "seat of his pants" most of his presidency. Tends to rush in and then try to deal with the flack as he goes along. Very poor management ........would be an understatement. Can anyone imagine running a company/business that way?? Not exactly a well oiled machine. And yes, 'barbaric" certainly describes.....

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Ocean Breeze said:
Ok....zen. With you. :) Agree . Bush has been riding it by the "seat of his pants" most of his presidency. Tends to rush in and then try to deal with the flack as he goes along. Very poor management ........would be an understatement. Can anyone imagine running a company/business that way?? Not exactly a well oiled machine. And yes, 'barbaric" certainly describes.....

Which is why his business ventures have been mostly failures...maybe people should have looked into that before electing him the first damn time... :lol: :lol:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Vanni Fucci said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Which is why his business ventures have been mostly failures...maybe people should have looked into that before electing him the first damn time... :lol: :lol:

Exactly :!: :!: his curriculum vitae ain't something to brag about. His job history is a series of near escapes and failures. His wife nearly left him due to his addiction(s) , and all this was available info for everyone to read ...... as it goes to the character of the man....as well as his capabilities. This is why it is so puzzling that a population would "vote" for someone like this into a job of such great responsibility. Makes one wonder what the population looks for as "credentials"...... in its leadership. :?:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
another open letter to bush:

Open Letter to Bush from the New Orleans, Times Picayune

09/05/05

09/04/05 The Times-Picayune Letter:

We heard you loud and clear Friday when you visited our devastated city and the Gulf Coast and said, "What is not working, we're going to make it right."

Please forgive us if we wait to see proof of your promise before believing you. But we have good reason for our skepticism.

Bienville built New Orleans where he built it for one main reason: It's accessible. The city between the Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain was easy to reach in 1718.

How much easier it is to access in 2005 now that there are interstates and bridges, airports and helipads, cruise ships, barges, buses and diesel-powered trucks.

Despite the city's multiple points of entry, our nation's bureaucrats spent days after last week's hurricane wringing their hands, lamenting the fact that they could neither rescue the city's stranded victims nor bring them food, water and medical supplies.

Meanwhile there were journalists, including some who work for The Times-Picayune, going in and out of the city via the Crescent City Connection. On Thursday morning, that crew saw a caravan of 13 Wal-Mart tractor trailers headed into town to bring food, water and supplies to a dying city.

Television reporters were doing live reports from downtown New Orleans streets. Harry Connick Jr. brought in some aid Thursday, and his efforts were the focus of a "Today" show story Friday morning.

Yet, the people trained to protect our nation, the people whose job it is to quickly bring in aid were absent. Those who should have been deploying troops were singing a sad song about how our city was impossible to reach.

We're angry, Mr. President, and we'll be angry long after our beloved city and surrounding parishes have been pumped dry. Our people deserved rescuing. Many who could have been were not. That's to the government's shame.

Mayor Ray Nagin did the right thing Sunday when he allowed those with no other alternative to seek shelter from the storm inside the Louisiana Superdome. We still don't know what the death toll is, but one thing is certain: Had the Superdome not been opened, the city's death toll would have been higher. The toll may even have been exponentially higher.

It was clear to us by late morning Monday that many people inside the Superdome would not be returning home. It should have been clear to our government, Mr. President. So why weren't they evacuated out of the city immediately? We learned seven years ago, when Hurricane Georges threatened, that the Dome isn't suitable as a long-term shelter. So what did state and national officials think would happen to tens of thousands of people trapped inside with no air conditioning, overflowing toilets and dwindling amounts of food, water and other essentials?

State Rep. Karen Carter was right Friday when she said the city didn't have but two urgent needs: "Buses! And gas!" Every official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be fired, Director Michael Brown especially.

In a nationally televised interview Thursday night, he said his agency hadn't known until that day that thousands of storm victims were stranded at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. He gave another nationally televised interview the next morning and said, "We've provided food to the people at the Convention Center so that they've gotten at least one, if not two meals, every single day."

Lies don't get more bald-faced than that, Mr. President.

Yet, when you met with Mr. Brown Friday morning, you told him, "You're doing a heck of a job."

That's unbelievable.

There were thousands of people at the Convention Center because the riverfront is high ground. The fact that so many people had reached there on foot is proof that rescue vehicles could have gotten there, too.

We, who are from New Orleans, are no less American than those who live on the Great Plains or along the Atlantic Seaboard. We're no less important than those from the Pacific Northwest or Appalachia. Our people deserved to be rescued.

No expense should have been spared. No excuses should have been voiced. Especially not one as preposterous as the claim that New Orleans couldn't be reached.

Mr. President, we sincerely hope you fulfill your promise to make our beloved communities work right once again.

When you do, we will be the first to applaud.