Tired Doonesbury cartoon

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Why is the Doonesbury cartoon the problem? The August 3, 2005 cartoon in this morning's newspaper has more regurgitaed blather about the apathy of the American public. Perhaps Cindy Sheehan has kicked the anti-war movement into gear, but most likely she hasn't. This is no longer funny because Doonesbury has been writing about non-events for years. This is a tired cartoon, time to be put out to pasture unless he can think of something novel and new. Same old same old has got to go. It's becoming like Seinfeld.

The most recent Sunday cartoon had a right wing radio guest saying all was fine in Iraq. Doonesbury's response is quite feeble.

In this so-called age of globalization, why does Doonesbury always write about the US or US foreign policy and nothing else? Send it to the glue factory.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
dumpthemonarchy said:
. . . In this so-called age of globalization, why does Doonesbury always write about the US or US foreign policy and nothing else? Send it to the glue factory.

Could it possibly be because G.B. Trudeau, the creator of Doonesbury is an American, who publishes his comic strip set in America through Universal Press Syndicate to appears in hundreds of papers across the United States (And is picked up by many other outlets, worldwide)

It has — over the years — been quite lucrative for him.

Ask yourself another question.

Why should he stop? :roll:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I read Doonesbury once in a while, I find it as relevant as Rex Morgan these days.
Can't criticize your guys in your amen corner Rev Blair, you've got a tough standard. So tell others to avert their delicate eyes so they won't be shocked or bored. Dynamic.

Is it all about the money? Then Trudeau is just like Fox "News", going for the biggest audience and buck. Then most everyone really is happy with the current situation and it's just dandy the media is leading us around in endless circles. Trudeau doesn't need to stop drawing Doonesbury, he needs to break some new ground.

I would think globalization means to widen your horizons perhaps. Taking a few risks.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Tired Doonesbury cart

His horizons are wider than most cartoonist's, in fact they are wider than most editorial writer's. If you follow the strip, you know that he generally follows each character for about a week and concentrates on whatever issue fits that character best.

He takes chances too, and has plenty of papers that refuse to run certain strips as a result.

Is he always on the money? No. Is he always funny and entertaining? No. Very few political satirists are though. Even fewer have managed to work with the same basic cast of characters for as long as Trudeau has.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Fact is, most countries simply don't get mentioned in Doonesbury unless they relate to US foreign policy. When was the last time Canada was mentioned? Russia? India?

Doonesbury is daring? a while back I read that Bush had a nickname for Karl Rove, it was cherry blossom or something, it sounded rude to some convervative papers in the US and they got some complaints, so they skipped this strip. No complaints from Canadians though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Tired Doonesbury cart

The strips are based on what is currently being covered in the US media. The term you talking about is "turd blossom" and it isn't Trudeau's fault if some papers decided not to carry the strips that referenced that.

There were papers that refused to carry the strips with Duke's head exploding after Hunter Thompson shot himself. There were papers that refused to carry the strips that featured BD losing a leg in Iraq. There are papers that refuse to carry the strips that feature nothing but a list of US soldiers who have been killed in Iraq. Trudeau writes them anyway, knowing full well that some papers won't run them and he'll lose money as a result.

If he was a Canadian cartoonist writing about current issues for a Canadian audience, I'd expect him to write about Canada. He isn't though, he's an American writing about current events for an American audience. As such, I expect him to write about the US and what Americans are seeing when they sit down to watch the news.