BUSH CONSIDERS ADDRESS TO NATION; CALL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATI

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
President Bush is considering an address to the nation asking citizens to conserve energy, a top White House source says.

Bush ordered the release of oil from federal petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Bush returned to Washington on Wednesday to oversee the federal response to the historic disaster. He plans to coordinate federal efforts, across more than a dozen agencies, to assist hurricane victims.

"Still undecided is whether or not to call for a nationwide effort to reduce energy consumption during this emergency," a top Bush source explains. "It is seriously being considered."

A second White House source says there are no plans for the president to address the country on gas.

Get ready to be raped by the oil companys people we've got plenty of fuel here but there going to gouge us anyways telling us all along theres no fuel :evil:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: BUSH CONSIDERS ADDRES

It hit $1.08 here yesterday afternoon. I'm still trying to talk Mrs. Rev into getting a scooter so I can call her Batgirl.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Just listening to his speech now. He has the right ideas to help but he still comes across as a weak leader.

That area will be a mess for a long time. It is really sad how bad New Orleans has been "beaten" by mother nature. I hate the USG but I don't feel that way towards the people. (I can seperate the two) I feel really bad for the people as most citizens lost everything.

Have not heard anything much really if they are getting any international help with this.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Traditionally the US refuses all outside aid during natural disasters. Chavez has made the offer for political reasons, knowing that it is unlikely to be accepted. It's a good move because it shows him not to be hostile to the United States and will garner support from other South American countries should the US try to bully Venezuela at a later date.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Re: RE: BUSH CONSIDERS ADDRES

Reverend Blair said:
Traditionally the US refuses all outside aid during natural disasters.

As I understand it, the U.S. Red Cross has asked for assistance from the Canadian Red Cross. I suggest we pack all supplies in sturdy B.C. softwood crates!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That is quite a different thing than the US government asking for aid from foreign countries, Canucklehead. The Red Cross is basically an international NGO and is not representative of the US government.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Oh, I realise that but for all the isolationism talk going on down there over the past 5 years, all the with-us-or-against-us and we will go it alone if need be B.S. I relish the fact that they are asking for our help. And of course we are ready to help, as always. (hmm that wasn't meant snarkily btw)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's just the Red Cross asking for help though. They aren't the ones with the with us or agin us attitude. They also have a pretty good grasp of what it takes to deal with disasters.

'd love to see the US government come asking for help. Maybe for our fresh water making machine and a crew to run it or something. I'd really, really like to see Georgie forced to accept Chavez's offer too, but it ain't gonna happen.

The really sad thing about the lumber dispute is that US citizens are going to pay big time for their government's protectionism. I wonder how many of them even know about the lumber lobby and the tariffs being imposed on Canadian lumber? If the people knew that they are paying way more for lumber so the politicians on both sides of the aisle can get massive campaign donations, I wonder what the reaction would be?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Re: BUSH CONSIDERS ADDRESS TO NATION; CALL FOR ENERGY CONSER

The U.S. and Canadian Red Cross have an agreement of mutual help though, so yes, it is different than the government asking for help but i sure hope the USG notices that it's institutions, organisations and people require outside assistance from time to time. Who knows, maybe a light will flick on above George's head and he'll 'see the light' ( as opposed to his usual pastime of being blinded by it ;) )

The people who know about the softwood issue are the U.S. lumber industry, builders and the odd informed house buyer. The lumber industry and the builders are publicly on our side. They know the cost to the U.S. consumer of these measures but the government still sides with the protectionist lobby.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Re: BUSH CONSIDERS ADDRESS TO NATION; CALL FOR ENERGY CONSER

Canadian relief agencies start to help Katrina victims
Wed, 31 Aug 2005
CBC News

Canadian relief agencies have moved to help the U.S. states hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Winnipeg-based Mennonite Disaster Service said Wednesday it is gathering donations to help send hundreds of volunteers to rebuild homes.

Lois Nickel of the Mennonite group said volunteers from nearby states could be in Alabama by the weekend, helping to clear roads of fallen trees. She said a U.S. team is heading to Gulfport, Mississippi, where they hope to establish a base camp for volunteers next to the city's Mennonite church.

Nickel said a call for hundreds of Canadian volunteers may not happen for several weeks, depending on how long it takes to set up the church camp.

Canadian Red Cross volunteers with experience in large scale disasters were being contacted Wednesday and officials hoped a handful would be travelling to the southern U.S. by the weekend.

Suzanne Charest of the Red Cross said they'll likely send more than 100 volunteers in the coming weeks to help serve hot meals, assess the needs of displaced families and to train other volunteers.

In Edmonton, Canada's Public Security Minister said Canada will do whatever it can for the U.S.

Anne McLellan said that could involve a wide variety of things, including sending military engineers.

But McLellan said medical drugs may be among the first items Canada is called upon to ship south.

She said an American government agency asked Ottawa to do an inventory of medication that could help stop the spread of infection. McLellan said the inventory has been done and the U.S. government has been informed of Canada's ability to ship the drugs.

I guess that means that the FDA has ascertained that Canadian Drug manufacturers have brought their product up to American standards.

No?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Funny how that works, isn't it? That isn't really aid though, the US will pay cash for those drugs. Meanwhile provincial government agencies from all over Canada are waiting to see if they'll be asked for help.

Anybody who works construction and wants to see New Orleans might want to loo at getting a temporary work permit. When Grand Forks got flooded, they were paying top dollar for skilled and semi-skilled labour.