How to Label an Extremist?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
From the most popular late night show (after Jay Leno) ...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166709,00.html

Are You An Extremist?
Thursday, August 25, 2005
By Bill O'Reilly

Are you an extremist? That is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points Memo".

The loony left is furious that we have outed Cindy Sheehan (search) as a radical, diminishing her credibility. Ms. Sheehan's latest is calling foreign terrorists, who infiltrate into Iraq freedom fighters. Very nice.

And the loopy right is mad because I said Jesus might not be down with Reverend Pat Robertson (search) putting out a contract on Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

There are no shortage of extremists here in the land of the free. However, there's a problem with labeling someone an extremist. And that is they may be rational in most areas, but off the wall in a few.

But I think we can safely establish some rules for the road here. An extremist is someone who rejects facts and holds on to opinions no matter what. Millions of Americans wanted Richard Nixon (search) to stay in office despite overwhelming evidence he covered up a felony. That was an extreme position.

Millions of others thought it was perfectly fine for President Clinton to lie under oath in the Paula Jones (search) deposition. Another extreme position.

Extremists aren't born. They evolve. Baby Brandon doesn't pop out of the womb, demanding to watch "The 700 Club" or "Fahrenheit 911."

In my opinion, extremists have a neurosis. They really don't want to hear anything other than the conclusion they've arrived at, no matter what the evidence suggests.

So are you an extremist? "Talking Points" has devised a short list of indicators:

• If you think Michael Moore reports accurately, you're an extremist.

• If you think the documentary "Outfoxed" tells the truth about this network, you're in the extreme zone.

• If you agree with Reverends Falwell and Robertson that gays and abortionists caused God to allow 9/11, you're an extremist.

• If you still think Terri Schiavo (search ) is aware of her surroundings, this extreme is for you.

• If you believe an open border is good for the USA, you have entered extreme territory.

• If you feel foreign terrorists have constitutional rights, and convicted child sex offenders should not serve long prison terms, say hello to the extremist label.

• If you agree that Allah is OK with slaughtering civilians, you're extreme.

• If you admire the philosophy of the Third Reich (search), you're there.

• And if you agree with everything President Bush has done, you're an extremist.

• And if you think everything he's done has been wrong, put a big 'E' on your forehead as well.

• And finally, if you applaud when Barbra Streisand (search) talks geopolitics or when a right wing talk show host urges a nuclear strike on Iran, welcome to the wonderful world of extremism.

And that's "The Memo."

The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day

It looks like the “The Factor” will win this week in the cable news ratings war. More than a million viewers ahead thus far. And if that lead holds, we will have won the ratings race an amazing 200 weeks in a row.

As I've said many times, it's entirely thanks to you. We work hard here, but lots of people work hard. It's you who decide who the winner is.

Now, to put “The Factor's" total audience, at 8 and 11 p.m. ET, in perspective, we are about tied with Jay Leno for viewers and far ahead of the other late-night programs.

We're about two million viewers behind "The CBS Evening News," and they have 20 percent more homes than we have. So does Leno. My goal is to get close to them, CBS News, next year.

In October "The Factor” will celebrate its ninth birthday. Ridiculous? Only to those who fail to recognize our charm. Yes, they are out there.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Chapter 6 is "Proper Use of Loofahs"

(BILL O'REILLY IS) ON THE PHONE AGAIN
Parody of Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again"
Lyrics by M. Spaff Sumsion

On the phone again
Bill O'Reilly is on the phone again
Proposing loofah baths and threesomes with my friend
The guy can't wait to get on my phone again

On the phone again
Askin' me to slap his "Al Frank-en"
Beggin' fair and balanced verbal S & M
The guy vibrates with me on the phone again

On the phone again!
Proud he found a date inside a Bangkok brothel
Why'd they let him in?
This whack job wants to rub me with falafel
How awful

He's on the phone again
Says he hangs further right than normal men
He wants to touch me in the "no-spin zone" - comprend?
He's getting off getting on the phone again

On the phone again!
He's describing trysts on Care-ib-bee-an realty
Says he's now and then
Accused of being hung like Uncle Miltie
~ Not guilty ~

He's on the phone again
Must be trippin' on Rush's med-i-cenn
He pants that I'm the fox in Fox News Channel's den
So I can't wait to get back to CNN

And I can't wait to get off his show again

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:| I know that I've posted this one before, but I thought it's a little more fitting under this topic.

:lol: And since Michael Moore was mentioned I thought I'd include this too.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Unfortunately, the check list of how to tell if you're an extremist is the most accurate thing OReilly has ever done.

I didn't think he was capable of rational thought.