Is The Chip Next?

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Hi-tech bomber surveillance could be used to track children

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1758012005

SURVEILLANCE technology utilised by police to capture a suspect in the July 21 failed suicide bombings in London could soon be used by parents to find their children.

Osman Hussain, a suspect in the Shepherd's Bush attempted bombing, escaped aboard a Eurostar train five days after the botched attacks before making his way to Rome.

Police were able to track him by tracing calls made from a mobile phone. Intelligence services followed his trail across Europe, eavesdropping on his mobile phone conversations.

Now parents across Britain are being offered a free trial of the same technology, which lets them trace their child's mobile via text message or the web.

In just three seconds, ChildLocate allows a parent to pinpoint the exact location of their child without calling them.

The parent can see where their child is, either on a map on their PC or via text message on their own mobile phone.

ChildLocate director Jon Magnusson described the technology as "discreet and cost effective".

He said: "Parents today are working increasingly long hours, while children have become more mobile than ever before. Because the service can provide immediate feedback on a child's location, it offers instant reassurance."

However, Tina Woolnough, of the Edinburgh -based group, Parents in Partnership, warned:

"There are civil liberty issues here and this could be extremely intrusive on a child's privacy."

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Bah - I'd have just taped my phone to a roundabout in the local park ,then buggered off down the pub anyway. :twisted:

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Incidently, a friend of mine has a top of the range Volvo, the on board computer of which can, theoretically at present (or so he thinks), be controlled by someone sitting at a computer at Volvo in Sweden (or anywhere else, I suppose). It's a system primarily designed to maximise the car's efficiency, but they could probably stop the car, kill the engine and lock all the doors if they wanted to. 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They can do that with some versions of the On Star system too.

I think I'll stick with my old truck. The only thing automatic on it is the choke, and that doesn't work right.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
If the chip wasn't so easily accessable to abuse by those in control, I'd like my children to have something in case of abduction, or if getting lost in the wilderness. (if we weren't in PEI)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: RE: Is The Chip Next?

Jo Canadian said:
If the chip wasn't so easily accessable to abuse by those in control, I'd like my children to have something in case of abduction, or if getting lost in the wilderness. (if we weren't in PEI)

yeah, can't get too lost in pei, can you..."walk until you reach the ocean, then turn right".....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Principal Earnie Graham hopes to eventually add bar codes to the existing IDs so that students can use them to pay for cafeteria meals and check out library books."

Thus proving that he doesn't even understand the system. If you have an rfid chip, what on earth do you need a barcode for?

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Those who can, do.
Those who can’t, teach.
Those who can’t teach, administrate.

Give the poor schlub a break, he’s a three-time loser.