Softwodd Lumber Dispute

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Canada has just won another round in the softwood lumber dispute. I've lost track of how many times we've won this...how many NAFTA decisions the US has illegally ignored while levying millions in illegal tariffs.

This should be the final attack from the US on softwood. We've won every battle. The illegitimate claims of the United States have caused trade panels to laugh openly at them. They are clearly in the wrong, trying to protect political supporters who produce an inferior product at an inflated price.

It won't be the end of though. It never is, not with these guys. They can take one more measure, considered extraordinary by every trade analyst on the planet. The US will launch a constitutional challenge next.

They will lose again. They have no case. In the meantime it will cost millions more for lawyers and researchers. Millions more will be levied in illegal duties. Those duties will be illegally given to lumber companies in the US.

The funniest thing about all of this? The shenanigans and illegal tariffs are costing Americans millions too. Because of the political power of the lumber lobby, they get to pay more money for lumber produced in the US. That lumber is of a lower quality than Canadian lumber. It comes from a lesser species of tree, it has grown too fast, and it is hateful garbage to work with. It is twisted and checked and prone to splitting. For that the US consumer gets to pay extra.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
I'm of the understanding that the Baird?? amendment allows the U.S. government to distribute the levy to the 'injured' parties without need to reimburse the funds should their claim not stand. I call it theft.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Softwodd Lumber Dispu

That's the Bird Amendment. It is illegal under international trade agreements that the US has signed. The agreements supercede their domestic law.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Well, it's official. The US has said that it won't abide by the legal ruling of the NAFTA panel.

I suggest an export tax on electricity, oil and gas at the same rate as they are taxing our softwood.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yup, I just heard the same thing on the radio :? :? :? :?

Hey jimmy, guess we are contributing to the war in Iraq eh? guess those tarriffs gots to pay for something...Flat out stealing. :twisted:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Reverend Blair said:
Canada has just won another round in the softwood lumber dispute. I've lost track of how many times we've won this... how many NAFTA decisions the US has illegally ignored while levying millions in illegal tariffs.

Actually, according to a Global item I just saw, it's now 8 separate decisions, for a collected total of 5 Billion (yes, with a "B") dollars.

Lying bastards..... :evil:

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
and these are the good guys?? Why is Canada not beating the bushes (lol) for more stable and earnest trading partners. These bums are disregarding the terms of yet another Treaty. I'm with the Rev, a 27% countervaling duty on oil.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think if we halted oil exports, or put on an export tariff, we'd see a quick reaction (not just Ralph Klein, either):

· Canada is the United States' top petroleum supplier and largest foreign supplier of total energy. Canada exported roughly 1.53 million barrels per day of crude oil to the United States during 2002 - a new record, up 5 percent over 2001.

· Canada's oil sands contain 1.7 to 2.5 trillion barrels of oil -- significantly more than Saudi Arabia. Of this, at least 170 to 300 billion barrels are considered commercially recoverable with current technology at world oil prices over US$20 per barrel.

Note that these are a few years old, consider oil is now what, $60 per barrel?

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Re: RE: Softwodd Lumber Dispute

Ten Packs said:
OIL they can get elsewhere - NATURAL GAS, they are tied into by pipeline.... can't ship gas very well any other way.

answer - we can liquify the gas and sell it elsewhere. Let them suck on an empty pipeline. We should not be tied to agreements that the other side breaches with such contempt. The Yanks should learn to play with others.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Re: RE: Softwodd Lumber Dispute

answer - we can liquify the gas and sell it elsewhere. Let them suck on an empty pipeline. We should not be tied to agreements that the other side breaches with such contempt. The Yanks should learn to play with others.

Expensive way to ship though, Pete - I spent my career in the oil industry, much of it at a pipeline terminal, and there's no way to beat a pipeline - hands down. They'd be prepared to pay a fair amount more, before the economics of building a lot more LNG ships would be feasible.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So make them pay. Put the duties on. They can't get electricity elsewhere, and they can't get gas elsewhere easily. They also can't just turn around and find a new supplier for their oil, it might be available elsewhere but we are their largest supplier. If they do find another source, there are plenty of countries that will buy what we have.

An export tax on energy products would have an immediate and devastating effect on the US economy. I'll bet we wouldn't need to impose the export tax for more than a couple of months before they caved on softwood.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Here is the thread frito...

Frito is all bent out of shape over the softwood lumber issue...usually frito has nothin to say about politics unless its a joke...Now is fecking blowin his stack..I told him we gots a thread on it at the board...now he want me to find it for him...
Here it is frito...I am leaving now..frito is nuts when he gets all bent out of shape ?

Frito lay

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2005
British Columbia
"Montana Senator Max Baucus plans to introduce a bill as early as Tuesday that will allow U.S. lumber companies to keep an estimated $3.6 billion in duties paid on Canadian imports".

FECKIN THIEF, BLOW ME!!!

Frito lay

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2005
British Columbia
"Arrogant" should be defined in the Funk and Wagnel as "American Policy"....Hey there ya go I think I should start a thread to define "American Policy" for next years edition. Best definition wins a Bag Of your choice of Lays on Frito.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I don't think that Montana Senator Baucus understands. They lost. They signed an agreement that is dependent on a certain set of rules. They have to follow those rules. If they won't follow those rules, they are in violation af the agreement and we can grab them by the nuts an squeeze.