cc:Esteemed Members of the Bilderberg Steering Committee
cc: Heather Reisman, Conrad Black

C/O
Post Office Box 30418
2500 GK
The Hague
The Netherlands

Dear Maja:

It is almost time for the annual Bilderberg meeting, and I would like to tender some recommendations concerning the Canadians whom I think would make an excellent addition to this year's global planning party. I must admit firsthand that I have a pro-Alberta bias; even so, my offerings are solid candidates.

1. Colby Cosh

Almost every year, a journalist from one of Conrad Black's newspapers makes an appearance at your annual meeting. In the past you have invited Mssrs. Mark Steyn and David Frum , and probably have your eye on either Terence Corcoran or Andrew Coyne for this year's meeting. While any of these men would be fine picks in my opinion, I would strongly suggest that you consider inviting Colby Cosh. Mr. Cosh might not fit in with the slick business types you would want at your conference, but this is precisely why you should invite him - he would add some diversity to this year's meeting. Furthermore, by inviting Mr. Cosh and allowing him to blog live from the conference, you could prove to Canadians that the meetings are not as "secret" as others have claimed. It's time to cut Mr. Frum loose and invite some fresh blood into the fold. And besides, Colby is from Alberta.

2. Ian Bennett or Monte Solberg

Sometimes you invite someone within Canada's Department of Finance. In 1996 you invited Canada's then Minister of Finance, Paul Martin Jr. to your Toronto meeting, but in 2003 you chose not to invite John Manley. This was a good selection, as Manley was campaigning against Martin for the leadership of the Liberal party and has since faded into the dustbin of Canadian politics - especially after being passed up for the NATO leadership role assumed by Bilderberg Alumni Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, who was fortunate enough to attend the 2003 meeting in Versailles.

In 2004, the current Minister of Finance, Ralph Goodale, was not yet installed in his role, and you invited his Deputy Finance Minister, Kevin Lynch. Mr. Goodale has campaigned for Mr. Lynch to assume leadership responsibilities with the International Monetary Fund, where he has taken a post. Mr. Lynch is therefore no longer the most qualified person to comment on Canada's economy, due to this shift in focus. There may be an election this spring, so if you invite Mr. Goodale, he may have to send Ian Bennett, Deputy Minister of Finance in his stead. Ian Bennett has over twenty years of experience in the Department and could offer you some excellent insights concerning macroeconomic policy in Canada. Although he is not originally from Alberta (he's a B.C. native, just like me), we "British Albertans" have a strange cult in Alberta and will go to bat for a B.C. boy at a tip of the hat.

In addition, Mr. Goodale might not be a good pick, as he has not done much to advance the issue of bank mergers. The Liberal party as a whole has not done much to advance bank mergers in Canada, and have been blocking them since 1998. The Conservatives and the Bloc, however, are all for it, albeit with some conditions, as laid out by the Canadian Competition Bureau. But to be honest, the Competition Bureau can only handle one or two cases at a time, and you know just as well as I that those conditions could not realistically be enforced.

Now, should the Conservatives form a government this year, they would likely nominate their finance critic, Mssr. Solberg, for the position of Minister of Finance. You might want to invite him for Bilderberg 2006, especially if you think that bank mergers are best for Canada. I like Mssr. Solberg because he's from Alberta and has the same last name as some of my ancestors. And besides, he has a blog, just like Colby Cosh.

3. Would-be Premier of Alberta

Once in a while you invite a Premier of a Provincial government to your annual meetings. In the past you have invited Ralph Klein, Bernard Lord, Mike Harris and Frank McKenna. I would suggest that you invite Ralph Klein again, as he has adhered to Bilderberg ideology in Alberta since 1995. However, since he is expected to retire soon, I would suggest one of the frontrunners for the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party - either Ted Morton or Jim Dinning. By inviting either one of these men you will be giving Albertans a clear indicator concerning who you think should govern our province in the future.

4. Barry Cooper

You usually invite someone from academia, and usually this person hails from Toronto - as in Margaret MacMillan, Provost, Trinity College, University of Toronto. She has gone to your meetings several times - how about switching it up a bit? I would suggest an academic from the University of Calgary, as the Calgary school of political economic thought has been the driving force behind Mssrs. Harper and Manning , so why not give credit where credit is due? I would suggest Tom Flanagan, but he is expected to be campaigning for Stephen Harper this spring and might not have enough time. Therefore, I would suggest you invite Tom's departmental pal, Barry Cooper to this year's Bilderberg Meeting. Give Barry a shot - he might surprise you.

5. A Canadian Banker

Invite any "Big Five" Canadian bank president you want - it makes no difference to me.

6. Have Kiss talk to Heather

Finally, could you do something about Heather Reisman? I know she sits on the Steering Committee, but maybe you could have a word with her about the book selection at her stores, which has been in decline lately. I know that if Conrad or Kiss brought it up, she would most likely expand the selection at Chapters.

Good Luck

I hope that my suggestions will go a long way in adding to the diversity of this year's Bilderberg Meeting, as I'm sure you are getting sick of inviting the same old crowd - MacMillan, Reisman, Frum, a Bank President or Minister of Finance, et al. I can understand your desire to have a private meeting, as it seems to enable global leaders to be more candid than they would otherwise be in public. But please, consider these candidates for this year's meeting, or even next year. I hope that you will have a good time planning the world's future and wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Aaron Braaten