It's time for global intifada

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
It's time for global intifada
by Don Nash, Unknown News

July XIX, MMV

Our world owes much to Arabic traditions and Muslim influence. Modern science, medicine, philosophy, poetry, and culture would be in a world of hurt were it not for advances made by Islam. We use Arabic numerals, and the word algebra comes from the Arabic word 'al jabr', which means “restoration of balance” to both sides of an equation.

Algebra was developed by a Muslim named Abu Abdullah Muhammad bin Musa al-Khwarizmi, who was born about 1,225 years ago. Or as we'd say without Arabic numbers, about MCCXXV years ago, in the year DCCLXXX.

------------

http://www.unknownnews.org/050719a-dn.html

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: It's time for global

Was he the guy who discovered the concept of zero? It seems pretty simple, but it was only discovered twice...once by the Arabs and once in South America. Without it, math as we know it simply isn't possible.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

He is the one who got the concept of the zero. I am not aware that it was rediscovered in South America. I checked my math encyclopedia and his name is the only one mentioned.

I may be wrong too.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I can't remember if it was the Incans or the Maya who discovered it in South America....it's the civilization with the really accurate calendar. It never spread beyond their civilization though.

It was the Arab discovery that changed the world because it spread. It made science possible. In return, Europe sacked their library.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: It's time for global

Reverend Blair said:
I can't remember if it was the Incans or the Maya who discovered it in South America....it's the civilization with the really accurate calendar. It never spread beyond their civilization though.

It was the Arab discovery that changed the world because it spread. It made science possible. In return, Europe sacked their library.

I'll check that for you Rev. And yes Europe sacked the libray.

hmsmark

Mar 2, 2005
OK, it's time for us all to support a global Muslim holy war because Algebra comes from an Arabic word? You and George W. Bush would get along, both seem to have pretty hollow reasons for war.

You know what, you're right. Why don't you take the train into Toronto and we'll talk about it. Just hope that global intifada doesn't decide to target your train....

Maybe you could go out to a nice vacant wheat field with no one around but yourself and you could suicide bomb it. That'd be great.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
hmsmark said:
OK, it's time for us all to support a global Muslim holy war because Algebra comes from an Arabic word? You and George W. Bush would get along, both seem to have pretty hollow reasons for war.

I think hmsmark should have read the article.

Great comic, Ten Packs.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
hmsmark said:

I think hmsmark should have read the article.

Good point, Rev., although I wouldn't be too hard on hmsmark - I can easily see why s/he would come to that conclusion at first glance. No harm done.

Here's another article I read relating to misconceptions and the incorrect labelling of the terrorists:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1525714,00.html