Beef Ban lifted

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
San Francisco — A U.S. federal appeals court Thursday overturned the ban on imports of Canadian cattle despite a lower court's ruling that renewing the imports could spread mad cow disease in the United States.

Glad that protectionist neo con judge's ruling in Montana was overturned. read the rest here

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I had mad cow free Ontario beef for supper.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I see the lower court will still consider a permanent injunction on July 27.

I can't see that court unless its the same judge issuing a permanent ban, or would he? Wouldn't the appeals court just overturn it again?

The group of ranchers that won the temporary injunction in March and is fighting for the permanent injunction this month said in a statement that they are disappointed with the appeals-court ruling.

Globe and Mail Seattle Times

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
This should be a non-event at this point. The US opening its borders to our beef shouldn't matter because we should have learned our lesson...they are not a reliable market and they are a poor trade partner.

There are more than fifty other countries that will buy our beef right now...cut and packaged so that we get the value-added money. If we bring in some basic rules, like testing every animal for BSE, there are even more markets open to us.

The US does not need our beef for domestic consumption. They slaughter and package it and sell it into these very same markets that we are presently ignoring or under-utilizing. It's time to change that. We should be competing internationally with the US instead of supplying them with raw product.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
C.A.L.F. says they are still going to fight it.... four-flushers.

They'll likely win, too.

Did I ever tell you that I watched to grown men get into a fist fight over which breed of cow was better, Ten Packs? That was on one of my Plentywood adventures. It was very odd.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, but farmers are really anal about cattle. When we cleaned out my grandfather's AI records we actually phoned everybody to make sure they didn't any of them. A lot of them wanted the records...going back to the late sixties.

Not one of them could have told you the name of the hired hand they had in 1976, but every single one of them could have told you why they bred which cow to what bull.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Beef Ban lifted

Reverend Blair said:
Yeah, but farmers are really anal about cattle. When we cleaned out my grandfather's AI records we actually phoned everybody to make sure they didn't any of them. A lot of them wanted the records...going back to the late sixties.

Not one of them could have told you the name of the hired hand they had in 1976, but every single one of them could have told you why they bred which cow to what bull.

interesting. Didn't know that. :oops: thanks.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Japan approves easing of ban on U.S. and Canadian beef imports: Ministry

A teaser:

TOKYO (CP) - Japan's Agriculture Ministry approved the easing of the country's two-year-old ban on Canadian and U.S. beef imports beginning Monday, a ministry official confirmed.

The easing of the ban would allow meat from cows under the age of 21 months back into the Japanese market.

"We think it's great. It's something we've been working toward for three years now," said Neil Jahnke, past president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association. [/end of teaser]

Very good news indeed. Moo!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Beef Ban lifted

no1important said:
Japan approves easing of ban on U.S. and Canadian beef imports: Ministry

A teaser:

TOKYO (CP) - Japan's Agriculture Ministry approved the easing of the country's two-year-old ban on Canadian and U.S. beef imports beginning Monday, a ministry official confirmed.

The easing of the ban would allow meat from cows under the age of 21 months back into the Japanese market.

"We think it's great. It's something we've been working toward for three years now," said Neil Jahnke, past president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association. [/end of teaser]

Very good news indeed. Moo!

Like those happy cows...No.1. :wink: (if they only knew :wink: