Israeli Barrier in Jerusalem Will Cut Off 55,000 Arabs

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Israeli Barrier in Je

Reverend Blair said:
Fences work both ways, JTF

Not really. Some are designed to keep people out. Some are designed to keep people in. Just go to any prison, then go to an impound yard, and note the difference. Usually you can tell by the angle and direction of barbed-wire soffit.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Israeli Barrier in Je

So do you spend a lot of time breaking into prisons or breaking out of auto impound lots? ;-)

The Berlin wall was built to keep East Berliners in the east and Western goods and spies in the west. It worked both ways.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Israeli Barrier in Je

Reverend Blair said:
So do you spend a lot of time breaking into prisons or breaking out of auto impound lots? ;-)

Maybe when I retire. 8)

The Berlin wall was built to keep East Berliners in the east and Western goods and spies in the west. It worked both ways.

Fair enough.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Well, I hate to spoil your Cold War reminiscences, but the thread actually refers to a different wall - one that the International Court of Justice declared, by 14 to 1 (the '1' being the US judge 8O ), contradicts humanitarian and international law. They concluded that construction on the wall should be halted and sections already built torn down. They also ruled that the wall violated the Palestinian right to self-determination. Aid agencies agree that the wall will devastate what's left of the Palestinian economy, and have an effect not unlike a serious natural disaster, seperating families from each other, farmers from their land and the sick from treatment.

Of course, the real purpose of the 'security' wall is a land grab - the well practised attempt to create specific 'facts on the ground' that will shape any future settlement. The notion that the wall is designed to keep suicide bombers out does not stand up, especially when we consider the fact that the majority is built on illegally occupied land, trapping thousands of Palestinians - and so potential suicide bombers - inside.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I think not said:
"How can a country that knows no terror judge a country that lives under constant terror?" -Shimon Peres

:roll: Was that little piece of rhetoric aimed at me? If so, it was was piss poor (I was born in Northern Ireland).

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Hard-Luck Henry said:
I think not said:
"How can a country that knows no terror judge a country that lives under constant terror?" -Shimon Peres

:roll: Was that little piece of rhetoric aimed at me? If so, it was was piss poor (I was born in Northern Ireland).

No, but your attempts to imply I did, is. I believe I quoted Shimon Peres in reponse to the International Courts ruling. The non-binding ruling I might add.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Well, fair enough, think, but the non-binding nature of that ICJ ruling is hardly the point, here. No-one can truly object to the israelis defending themselves, or even building a wall, if they so choose. Regardless of any agreements, many Arab states would remain hostile towards Israel, so long-term security measures are needed. The fact remains, though, that positioning this wall over the green line has been to the benefit of scores of illegal settlements, and to the clear detriment of the Palestinan population. It cannot be justified on security grounds - seeking to retain control of roads and settlements in the West Bank simply maintains the status quo, and the cycle of violence continues.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Hard-Luck Henry said:
They concluded that construction on the wall should be halted and sections already built torn down.

If the wall can be torn down in reponse to an ICJ declaration, it can certainly be re-routed in response to any future border negotiations between Palestinians and Israelis. If Israel wanted to grab land, they have better ways of doing it than building walls. After all, I've already been corrected in this thread about fences working both ways. Why would Israel box themselves in if they really wanted the fence for anything other than security? This land grab argument is self-defeating.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Hard-Luck Henry said:
Well, fair enough, think, but the non-binding nature of that ICJ ruling is hardly the point, here. No-one can truly object to the israelis defending themselves, or even building a wall, if they so choose. Regardless of any agreements, many Arab states would remain hostile towards Israel, so long-term security measures are needed. The fact remains, though, that positioning this wall over the green line has been to the benefit of scores of illegal settlements, and to the clear detriment of the Palestinan population. It cannot be justified on security grounds - seeking to retain control of roads and settlements in the West Bank simply maintains the status quo, and the cycle of violence continues.

Agreed