Reporter Jailed in US. :-(

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Nice analogy no1important. Would you have said the same if a murderer confessed to a journalist about a crime he committed and the journalist refused to say who it was?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Reporter Jailed in US

If priests are allowed that right (to keep quiet about anything they are told, even murder), why shouldn't journalists? What makes a priest any better of a person or special? Nothing. You can't pick and choose.

And yes old Georgie has eroded your countries rights since he came into power.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Reporter Jailed in US

no1important said:
If priests are allowed that right (to keep quiet about anything they are told, even murder), why shouldn't journalists? What makes a priest any better of a person or special? Nothing. You can't pick and choose.

And yes old Georgie has eroded your countries rights since he came into power.

I say the same for freakin priests, they aren't anything special.

Which rights have been eroded, if you will, list a few for me please.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

A man who taught with Rove, and considers him a friend, writes that in the Valerie Plame case, Rove is using journalists, and the First Amendment, "to operate without constraint, or to camouflage breaking the law."

In this case, journalists as a community have been played for patsies by the president’s chief strategist, Karl Rove, and are enabling him to abuse the First Amendment, by their invoking it.

Save the First Amendment--from Karl Rove

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

no1important said:
A man who taught with Rove, and considers him a friend, writes that in the Valerie Plame case, Rove is using journalists, and the First Amendment, "to operate without constraint, or to camouflage breaking the law."

In this case, journalists as a community have been played for patsies by the president’s chief strategist, Karl Rove, and are enabling him to abuse the First Amendment, by their invoking it.

Save the First Amendment--from Karl Rove

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

If you are invoking the first amendment then you aren't breaking it. Freedom of the press doesn't mean, hush and tell nothing about criminals. I grant you its a fine line, otherwise what news would there be. But it isn't trampling on anything. This is all political garbage.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
To protect freedom, immigrants are explicitly not welcome in the United States. The "Real ID Act" passed congress which will prevent immigrants from obtaining a state driver's license, a racist gang called "The Minutemen" patrols the borders, and people are mysteriously vanishing á la Homeland Security. Overseas, Bush is protecting your freedom by waging war in Iraq and killing innocent people.

In San Francisco, people freely develope asthma thanks to the PG &E power plant in Bayview Hunter's Point. Bay Area women are free to enjoy one of the highest cancer rates in the country. The timber companies are free to destroy your ancient forests.

Leonard Peltier has the liberty of still being in prison along with more than 2 million other people incarcerated in the United States. ( He has spent more than twenty-seven years in prison for a crime he did not commit. Amnesty International considers him a "political prisoner" who should be "immediately and unconditionally released.)

Millions of americans are liberated from basic health care, and are independent from job security and soon they will be free from social security too.

How did you celebrate your freedom this year? Consider burning the flag while you still can, because the flag amendment may be passed soon liberating you from your freedom to desecrate the symbol of your "freedom".

Ahh lets not forget about the patriot act and people can be arrested for no reason or rights under Home land security.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

no1important said:
Well the US is slowly moving towards a dictatorship. Bush has slowly eroded rights since he got in. So much for their constitution.

Did the journalist following the Arar case ever get her stuff back? Ya know, after it was confiscated in a raid?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The last I heard she had gotten some, not all, of her files back, Said. There's another guy, a writer in Toronto, who has had his files confiscated and has also gone to jail for refusing to reveal a source...in this case likely (he hasn't even said that much) inside the police department. The law that allows the courts to do that is part of the rights raping anti-terrorist bill that our government rammed through.

If reporters cannot keep their sourves confidential, then people will not be as likely to talk to them. I'd love to see Rove strung up for what he did to Valerie Plame, but not at the expense of reporters being able to protect a source.

Without that ability, Watergate likely never would have broken. We would know far less about what happened during Iran-Contra, as well...although most of that came out after the hearings.

The Bushites want to control the press. In this case they used them, and it's Bushites that are being protected. In the next case it could be Bushites being run out of Washington. That is less likely to happen if reporters cannot keep sources confidential.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Reverend Blair said:
The last I heard she had gotten some, not all, of her files back, Said. There's another guy, a writer in Toronto, who has had his files confiscated and has also gone to jail for refusing to reveal a source...in this case likely (he hasn't even said that much) inside the police department. The law that allows the courts to do that is part of the rights raping anti-terrorist bill that our government rammed through.

Was the guy in Toronto working on something "terrorist" related?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Nope, he was writing a book about Karla Homolka, actually. That's the funny thing about those "anti-terrorist" laws, they are open to all sorts of abuse.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Anyone know why CNN Novak was not caught up in the thing with Wilson's wife being CIA. He was the one that broke the story, but seems to have been untouched. That Journalist whose privacy was invaded. I believe she had some information regarding Cretien's land deal(remember the golf course in his riding and his pressure to get a banker to give a criminal a loan to buy it. What a gangster! The guy in Toronto failed to abide by a gag order imposed by a judge. The gag order was to extend past the conclusion of the Homolka trial. Seems we should be concerned about freedom of the Press in Canada.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Judith Miller

Miller was one of the most pro-war writers in the USA. Like her co-worker Friedman, she is a Zionist who is determined to draw the USA into every conflict in the ME imaginable. She often quoted anonymous sources as "proof" that Saddam had innumerable WMD and was about to launch an eerie attack upon the USA, the UK, Europe, and all of motherhood if Bush and Blair did not stop him. It was her highly charged pro-war crap lies that helped inspire the bloodlust that led to Bush's criminally illegal war and led to the deaths of many Americans and thousands of innocent Iraqis.

Miller is lucky to get only 4 months in jail for her misdeeds. Too bad it couldn't be four months in hell where she properly belongs.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
This whole story is starting to look like Bush's own Watergate and could very well bring him down 8O Do you think he needed this attack to bury this story on the back pages it's getting a little to hot for his buddy Karl Rove :wink:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My freedom and my rights have not been violated. I have suffered not one inconveinence since Bush has taken office.

The only difference I have felt is the long waits in lines at airports when I travel. I have no problem with that.

Other than that... it is life as usual for Americans who do not wish to break the law.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Yet Eagle your shiny new ID card is on the way and your going to be taxed through it oh lets not forget that tracker chip going in your car thats not to far away either :p another tax and trace device :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

If reporters are unable to use sources without naming them, then your rights are being violated every time you read a paper, Eaglesmack.