Chirac insults the British and the Finns

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
First Berlusconi, then Chirac insults the Finns. But this time whilst insulting the British.

Mon Jul 4, 2005 11:44 AM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Jacques Chirac cracked jokes to Russian and German leaders about bad British food and mad cow disease, Liberation said on Monday, revealing comments that could further strain Anglo-French relations.

The French daily said Chirac was overheard making a series of jokes at Britain's expense to Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder on the sidelines of a meeting on Sunday in Kaliningrad, Russia.

"The only thing they (the English) have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow," Chirac quipped, according to the paper, prompting laughter from Schroeder and Putin.

When asked about Chirac's reported comments on Monday, French government spokesman Jean-Francois Cope told reporters: "I have nothing particular to say".

Relations between France and Britain were already at a low point, with Prime Minister Tony Blair and Chirac blaming each other for the failure of June talks on the European Union's long-term budget talks.

Blair, who took over the EU presidency last week, has particularly irked Paris with his drive to cut EU farm subsidies that mainly benefit France.

Chirac took the opportunity of a receptive audience to snipe at British food. "You can't trust people who cook as badly as that," he joked, the paper said.

"After Finland, it's the country with the worst food."

He then told Putin and Schroeder how former NATO Secretary General George Robertson, a Scot, had made him try an unappetizing Scottish dish.

"That's where our problems with NATO come from," he said.

The race between Paris and London to host the 2012 Olympic games is further testing relations. Blair wrote in the Paris-based International Herald Tribune newspaper on Monday that London was the "perfect venue" for the games.

In Singapore, where the choice of venue will be announced on Wednesday, Anglo-French tensions threatened to boil over on Monday after a delegate linked to London's bid said the Stade de France was not ideal for athletics.

IOC guidelines caution against candidate cities commenting on rivals facilities or bids but the Paris delegation decided against making a formal complaint.

today.reuters.co.uk . . .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"The only thing they (the English) have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow," Chirac quipped, according to the paper, prompting laughter from Schroeder and Putin.

1) It is us British taxpayers who SUBSIDISE French farmers. It's us who make them rich. I still remember that article in The People newspaper when it interviewed two French farmers who were very rich thanks to British taxpayers. One of the farmers his is smiling at the camera as he sits on the edge of his luxury swimming pool - that me and other taxpayers paid for! And all he has to say is "I hate the English. There is no love lost betweeb the French and the English, and I think they are very stupid to be subsiding us French farmers. Still, I'm very happy to be taking their money and living a life of luxury whilst hardly working at all.

2) The British agriculture industry is more efficient than the French agriculture industry and that of most other Europeanm countries. One proof of this is that Britain receives less money from CAP that EVERY other EU state, and CAP is used to subsidise inefficient French farmers and other European farmers. the fact that Britain receives less means our farming is more efficient.

3) The more often that Chirac and other Frenchmen mock the British agriculture industry the British can easily say "Fine. Considering that France's agriculture industry is soooo efficient, then why should we subsidise it? We'll stop paying money to make your farmers rich if they are perfect;y capable of getting rich themselves."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"The French daily said Chirac was overheard making a series of jokes at Britain's expense to Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder on the sidelines of a meeting on Sunday in Kaliningrad, Russia. "

But did they laugh...thats the question.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
From The Mirror -

5 July 2005
BRITISH FOOD IS SEXY SAYS NOVELLI

Jean-Christophe Novelli (a French chef who works in Britain)

I FIND President Chirac's remarks very hard to swallow because British cooking today is some of the most inventive, stylish and sexiest in the world.

Has he ever tasted the mouth-watering delights of Scottish salmon, Whitstable oysters, Welsh lamb or Aberdeen Angus steak? Ripe red strawberries with fresh cream, crunchy asparagus spears with melted cornish butter, or crisp English apples that put Golden Delicious to shame?

Not to mention the old favourites like shepherd's pie, fish and chips and bread and butter pudding which can be found in their finest form on the menus of London's best restaurants. Britain produces a selection of cheeses that would make a Frenchman cry - Somerset brie, creamy Stilton, tangy Cheddar and crumbly Wensleydale.

And bread baskets brimming with interesting loaves and rolls in every texture, shape and colour that put a boring old French stick to shame. Why do you think so many young French cooks are coming to work in the UK?

There has been a renaissance in British cooking in the last decade. I like the English very much. They work well together in the kitchen - unlike the French who spend too much time bickering.

mirror.co.uk

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
English food is bad as opposed to.....snails? Or that duck crap spread? When I went to France, I saw nothing in their cuisine I liked really. Romania I found has far better cuisine than France.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That’s because you can't afford to eat good food, so you think things like Shepard’s Pie are good. :wink:

Truthfully the English will eat anything if it’s bland and/or battered.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I thought you would have a wity comeback for that one...

What was on the menu in Romania?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Finland (one of the countries that Chirac offended) has TWO votes tomorrow in the battle between London and Paris has to who hosts the 2012 Olympics.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
By TREVOR KAVANAGH

Political Editor, in Singapore

SNEERING Jacques Chirac may have cooked the goose of France’s Olympic bid by mocking British food — and grub from FINLAND.

The arrogant French president was overheard sniggering at our nosh as he chatted to German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and Kremlin boss Vladimir Putin.

He made a plonker of himself by saying: “You can’t trust people who cook as badly as that. After Finland, it’s the country with the worst food.”

His jibes blew the cliffhanger race for the 2012 Olympics wide open.

For Finland has TWO votes in tomorrow’s crunch selection process in Singapore — expected to be a titanic battle between Paris and London.

The Scandinavians (including the Finns) could prove the major players in the neck-and-neck contest, which may well be decided by a single vote.

Mr Chirac’s insults — heard by several journalists — came during a break in a three-nation summit at Kaliningrad, Russia. He chortled: “The only thing the English have ever done for European agriculture is Mad Cow disease.”

He also confirmed French antagonism towards Nato by taking a bizarre pop at HAGGIS.

He told how he been asked by ex-Nato chief George Robertson to sample “an unappetising Scottish dish”.

Then he grinned: “That is where our problems with Nato come from.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

LLet's be 'aving you, Jacques ...

Nigella Lawson and Delia Smith (two British women chefs that you should never anger)

Mr Chirac — also at loggerheads with Britain over the EU’s future — FAILED to mention our record of having 20 of the world’s top 100 restaurants.

And he FAILED to describe how France covered up its own mad cow outbreak in 2000, after which it blocked healthy UK imports to protect French farmers.

Tony Blair — in Singapore yesterday for the run-up to the Olympic vote — was privately fuming at Mr Chirac’s ill-judged comments.

Mindful of Olympic rules banning one bidder from bad-mouthing another, he did not launch a counter attack against the president.

But he appeared to drop a pointed reference to Mr Chirac when asked whether the G8 summit, which begins tomorrow, would be an anti-climax after the Olympic drama. He said: “I won’t say that because that would be undiplomatic. And I know when I go there I will be in the presence of very diplomatic people.”

Outraged food experts and British chefs did not need to be so careful — and launched a broadside at Mr Chirac.

Renowned restaurant critic Egon Ronay said: “A man full of bile is not fit to pronounce on food.”

He admitted Britain was a culinary wasteland back in the 1950s and ’60s but times have changed.

But he said: “There’s no other country in the world whose food has improved so greatly and more quickly in the last 15 to 20 years. The public’s taste has improved at the speed of light.”

Celebrity chef Brian Turner, a regular on BBC’s Ready Steady Cook, said: “It just shows how worried the French are about their Olympic bid if Chirac is stooping to this. I dare him to try a piece of quality beef, look me in the eyes and try to pretend it isn’t some of the best he has tasted.”

Classics ... fish and chips and chicken tikka massala

Richard Ali, head of the English Beef and Lamb Executive, said: “As restaurant critics the world over recognise, English cuisine is fit for the 21st century.

“Some other countries like France however remain mired in past glories.”

The war of words between France and Britain began early yesterday when Aussie Jim Sloman — a consultant for London’s Olympic bid — made mild criticism of Paris’s centrepiece Stade de France stadium.

Mr Sloman, who helped to mastermind Sydney’s successful 2000 Games, said the venue was perfect for rugby but not designed for athletics.

He rubbed in the message by saying many of the preparations made by London were superior to Sydney’s effort.

As France erupted in fury, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell went on TV to cool the row.

She said: “Obviously I am sorry if the French were caused offence by it.”

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Chirac insults the British and the Finns

Blackleaf said:
Finland (one of the countries that Chirac offended) has TWO votes tomorrow in the battle between London and Paris has to who hosts the 2012 Olympics.

Since New York was a long shot to begin with, I would hope London gets it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Chirac insults the British and the Finns

I think not said:
Jay said:
I thought you would have a wity comeback for that one...

What was on the menu in Romania?

Jayfish :twisted:

Some consider it a delicacy...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Chirac insults the Br

Nothing goes better with Roast Beef Gravy like Yorkshire Puddings

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Good for Britain! Even tho I havea French lastname,I still consider myself a lotal subject of the Queen[and hate most French Food!]

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I agree with you missile....I too have a very French last name, but I consider myself to be a subject of the Crown.

I couldn't care less where the Olympics were held though...and I always take time out to poke fun at the English...but it's my way of showing affection towards them.