Bush administration crafting new message on Iraq

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Bush administration crafting new message on Iraq

BY DICK POLMAN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

(KRT) - Stung by plummeting polls, the Bush administration is working on a new message about Iraq. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld road-tested it on the Sunday talk shows, and President Bush will flesh it out during a speech Tuesday night. The basic message, as articulated by Rumsfeld, goes something like this:

1. "Progress is being made politically and economically" in Iraq.

2. But the casualties could get worse over the next six months, and fighting could go on for "five, six, eight, 12 years."

3. And we have never miscalculated, erred, or misled you.

It's an ambitious message - a mix of the upbeat, the downbeat and the defiant. Whether a restive public buys the message may depend not on Bush's persuasive powers, but on the news from the battlefield. And this message arrives at a crucial juncture, with solid majorities of Americans now saying that invading Iraq was a mistake (a sharp reversal of the polls one year ago). At this point, 91.5 percent of all American military deaths have occurred since Bush declared on May 1, 2003, that "major combat" was over.

Worse yet, an administration known for its message discipline has been plagued lately by top officials sending contradictory signals. While Vice President Cheney is insisting that the insurgency is in its "last throes," military leaders are telling Congress that the insurgency is at least as strong as it was six months ago, buoyed by an ongoing influx of foreign fighters.

Bush, in his speech Tuesday night, will ask Americans to help him "stay the course" - in essence, to trust him anew as a war president. But for those who are increasingly skeptical about the war, trust may be the biggest hurdle. Only 32 percent of independent voters now support the war, according to Gallup, and the big drop in recent months has been fueled not just by the mounting casualties but by the perception that Bush and his war planners promised a short and relatively bloodless conflict.

As evidenced Sunday by Rumsfeld's televised remarks, however, it's clear that the administration, while seeking people's trust, does not want to entertain any suggestion that it made any mistakes in the past, whether intentional or not.

Rumsfeld told "Fox News Sunday," for example, that he had not made optimistic predictions during the prelude to war. Such a claim, he said, is "false. ... I have been balanced and measured."

Yet, on Feb. 7, 2003, more than a month before the war began, he predicted that "it could last six days, six weeks, I doubt six months." On Feb. 20, 2003, he told PBS that the Americans "would be welcomed," as happened in Afghanistan, where people in the streets were "playing music, cheering, flying kites." (Seven months later, when a broadcast journalist asked Rumsfeld about his PBS remarks, he replied: "Never said that. Never did. ... You're thinking of somebody else.")

Also Sunday, Rumsfeld told NBC's "Meet the Press" that any rosy prewar predictions (which he denies were made) would have been inappropriate. He said: "Anyone who tries to estimate the end, the time, the cost, or the casualties in a war is making a big mistake." Yet it was Cheney, on March 16, 2003, who said "I think it will go relatively quickly ... weeks rather than months." A month earlier, Bush budget official Mitchell E. Daniels Jr. publicly estimated that the war could cost roughly $60 billion. (The current cost is $208 billion.)

Clearly, the administration is seeking a clean slate on forecasts. Rosy talk is out. The new message is designed to prepare the public for a long slog, figuring that Americans will stay the course if they get the bad news up front. Talk of "progress" will be tempered by talk about the grim realities of war. In Rumsfeld's words Sunday, "it's violence, it's tough, it's terrible."

He recalled that, during the run-up to war, he had prepared for Bush a list of "15 things that could go terribly wrong," including oil fields set afire and mass refugees on the roads. NBC interviewer Tim Russert then asked whether he had put "a robust insurgency" on the list. Rumsfeld replied: "I don't remember if that was on there."

He didn't offer any forecast on when the Iraqi security forces would be ready to assume the brunt of the fighting, in part because the United States is busy trying to help the Iraqis develop criteria for measuring troop readiness. (There have been reports that only three Iraqi battalions are combat-ready; the U.S. military estimates that it needs 107.)

Rumsfeld did seek, at several points, to defend Cheney's contention that the insurgency is in its last throes. He told "Fox News Sunday" that "last throes could be a violent last throes, or a placid and calm last throes," his way of saying that the insurgency could burn out quickly or persist for years. He did say, however, that "I will anticipate that you'll see an escalation of violence between now and the (next round of Iraqi) elections" next winter.

In essence, the message is that America will be fighting in Iraq through the end of Bush's tenure, and that people should not dwell on what Rumsfeld calls "the negative day after day, in the press and on television." (He didn't address the fact that some of the most negative reports lately have come from publications such as the Marine Corps Times, which has written about inadequate body armor, and recalls of armored vests.)

The administration's challenge is to rekindle confidence among middle-of-the-road Americans who are glad Saddam Hussein is gone, yet wonder whether the costs in U.S. blood and treasure have been worth it. But another key challenge is to reinforce ties between Bush and his conservative base, because Gallup reports that support for the war among Republicans has dropped 11 percentage points since March. Bush's base is still hanging tough, but further erosion could seriously narrow his political options.

Hence, the new message - upbeat, downbeat and defiant, coupled with fresh charges that liberals and Democrats are weak on defense. In the words of conservative commentator and blogger Andrew Sullivan, "If you want to know how well the administration really believes the war is going, listen to their rhetoric."

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
. "Progress is being made politically and economically" in Iraq.

2. But the casualties could get worse over the next six months, and fighting could go on for "five, six, eight, 12 years."

3. And we have never miscalculated, erred, or misled you.

and this is a "new" message??? Seems like the same old spin .....which is nothing more than more lies.

seems Rumsfeld is saying that the "insurgency" will last up to 12 yrs......(implication???? troops in Iraq for that length of time??)

hmm. Something that is not mentioned is that the Halliburton contracts in place now have a ten year duration on them.

Hmmm. a connection there???

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Everything is possible. Halliburton contract can be extended and the army will stay there for 12 years.

What I am trying to say is they are stuck in another VIETNAM.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Bush administration crafting new message on Iraq

moghrabi said:
Everything is possible. Halliburton contract can be extended and the army will stay there for 12 years.

What I am trying to say is they are stuck in another VIETNAM.

yes , I hear ya. I think "they" are very hesitant/scared to apply the Vietnam analogy.......as it would really bring it home to them.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
They brought it onto themselves. They have to live with their actions and they will come home as they did come from Vietnam.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Bush administration crafting new message on Iraq

moghrabi said:
They brought it onto themselves. They have to live with their actions and they will come home as they did come from Vietnam.

I sincerely hope "they" will learn a serious lesson from all this...but have to wonder.

I just find it so mindboggling that in THIS ERA a so called progressive/modern nation would employ WAR as a tactic to achieve some unspecified goal. War is LAST resort. Pre-emptive invasions don't make rational sense. They didn't 60 yrs ago and make even less sense now. Wondering if humanity is so learning challenged that it will continue to repeat its mistakes over and over until this lovely planet is in ruins. It is the only planet with life as "we" understand it........and yet there is so little appreciation for it. ----let alone the people who inhabit it. :cry:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Bush administration c

They never learned from vietnam. If war goes on for 5, 6, 8 or 12 years they will have to reinstate the draft and then maybe the American people will demand they leave Iraq.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Of course they never learned from Vietnam. None of them went to Vietnam and none of them had the moral courage to protest against Vietnam.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4625215.stm

Many people said that it would be a quagmire if they invaded Iraq, and we knew this right away. Its not something the administration could have been blind to, it obvious this was expected.

So now they are there, for how long? Until the rebels are all gone? We all know this is not possible, there will allways be Iraqi rebels against the USA who can come out of the woodwork at any time but remain hidden most of the time. You can't get rid of those, yet Bush says this:
""The enemy's goal is to drive us out of Iraq - they will not succeed," said the president.
"It's tough work and it's hard. But nevertheless, progress is being made... and the progress that is being made will lead to the defeat of this enemy."

- Bush says THAT so the US forces can stay there as long as they want to.

What is so great about "staying there"?

Maybe a look at the potential motivations would clear the picture up:
1] OIL -
We have not gotten any news about the flow of oil over there, which is "odd" considering the newsworthyness of these issues: Who is selling it for how much to whom? What role does it play in the current record-high price of oil? Isn't it reducing the supply problems at all? Is OPEC involved?
Americans will say it is helping pay for the cost of the war, and that they have every right to take it and sell it. I would say that was the whole reason for invading Iraq... that Haliburton and various oil importers/marketers in the USA are getting a sweet deal of it.
I would say the invasion was all about doing this 'easy-oil for the USA' , plus the benefits to the Friends of George W. of selling/making weapons and supplying the army with food and shelter, much of which is handled by private firms who make profits instead of doing it straight from the government.We've heard how war helps the economy - sure, for the Elites at taxpayers expense, [and at a higher expense than is necessary if they side stepped those private supply companies]

Other possible reasons for the USA staying in Iraq?
- are all proven to be a cruel hoax!!
2] Helping the Iraqius? NOT!!!
- more of the innocent civilians are being killed than under Saddam's reign.
- still without electricity and water, a few years in.
- their oil is being depleted as quickly as possible, they are not getting the benefits of their own oil.
- D.U. contamination, plus other, more nefarious, biological and chemical and HAARP type weapons being used on them. The effects of these could last for decades, even centuries.

3] Spreading freedom and Democracy throughout the Middle East?
Would any nation want to model itself after an invading force than has shown utter disrespect for their way of life and their soveriegnty? An invading force that just may have an agenda of reducing Islam to ashes?
No, its not been a good model, not an attractive option at all for Arab nations. Many of them admit that their people are not ready for democracy, that they have better luck with strong leaders in keeping civil wars and so on at a minimum. There are so many conflicting forces in all those nations that strong rule is needed... [their words, not mine]

And as for putting down terrorism, many arab "terrorists" that were retired from that and raising families have put on their battle gear again because there is a call for their services in Iraq now. Many of us said this would happen as soon as Bush said he would invade Iraq.

So I can only see on reason the USA is there in Iraq, and only one reason for all this propaganda about why they will stay there for a long time - ITS STILL THE OIL

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Message from the Iraqi people to Mr. Bush

Wake up Calls

The jury of conscience has just released it’s recommendations after the
culminating session of the World Tribunal on Iraq came to its
conclusion. I’ll post the news story I wrote on this later, which will
provide more details.

I will add now, as a preface to a letter I received just now from an
Iraqi who asked me to pass it on to the American people, that the jury
made the following recommendations:

“The recommendations made by the jury included the demand for an
immediate, unconditional withdraw of all occupation forces, the
governments of the coalition to pay full compensation to Iraqis for any
and all damages, and that all laws, contracts, treaties and institutions
created under the occupation that Iraqi people deem harmful or un-useful
to them be banished.

Other recommendations included immediate investigations of crimes
against humanity for Mr. George Bush, Tony Blair, and every other
president of countries belonging to the coalition. In addition, the jury
called for a process of accountability to begin to bring justice to
journalists and media outlets that lied and promoted the violence
against Iraq, as well as including corporations who have profited from
the war.”

Here is the letter from my friend:

>From an Iraqi citizen to the American people:

We always have thought that you are citizens; away from the savageness
which controls
many people in the world because you suffered from the injustice of your
own occupation
more than two hundred and fifty years ago. Therefore, you picked up
weapons against the occupiers until you forced him to go out of your
state which was a great victory for you.

Naturally, this occupier was giving unreasonable justifications for his
stay in your country. Like any occupation, no country ever admit that
they occupy some land but always says that they are a liberator of the
people who are then unable to govern themselves and so on…

Such reasons cannot change the origin of occupation.

Nowadays, your army is occupying our homeland, destroying our homes and
killing our men, women, and our children. The occupation is leaving this
country full of chaos to the point we are now facing so many disasters,
including suffering from looting and robbery.

Sudden attacks and cruel murders have been perpetrated by your army who
then prevent all people from submitting judicial complaints. This
encourages all soldiers to kill thoughtlessly without any threat of trial.

We have seen our Holy Quran desecrated by soldiers, but you continue to
say your soldiers do not do what the Mogul and Barbarians did in the
lands they occupied.

Your soldiers did many immoral acts but your government leaders have
done even more.

We, the Iraqi people, do not put the responsibility of this on your
shoulders because you are a people and not your government. But when the
people have a decision in the fate of their country and decide to go in
a direction which only benefits the government, this means that the
people are satisfied with their governments’ actions.

When you elected Mr. Bush for the second time, this was a declaration
from you of being satisfied with all his acts in violation of the
holiness of a state which shares a place with yours in the United
Nations Security Council

Has the age of occupation returned back to a place where agreements and
treaties and international laws which forbid aggression are useless?
When the people who chose to defend their land and reject the occupier
are then described by your government as a terrorist? How long have you
heard that an occupation which continues will have no resistance against
it? Do you refer to the patriots of your own country as terrorists in
your history books?

Have you ever heard that there is a peaceful occupation? One that ended
in victory for the occupier?

American people, please remember the land of Iraq and remember the Iraqi
people and think of yourselves as if you were in our place. In this way
you will realize what Iraqis suffer.

I am an Iraqi who bears no grudge against any person all over the world.
We simply wish that other people may realize our suffering now,
especially the people who do not support their thoughtless governments
and their aggressive acts. For the people who support these corrupted
governments will be responsible for them, and history will hold them
responsible for allowing this tragedy to have occurred.

This will be a shame on their ancestors who will not be able to hide
this black page of history.

Thank to the American people for listening attentively, and I am wishing
you reasonableness and the ability to comprehend the truth.

(providing a counterpoint to the bush inc. spin )

ps.......Karlin. Good post ! Bravo.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
5,6,8,12 years ...

And whatever happened to "mission accomplished"?

When you think about it, part I of the "mission" was to topple Saddam. Part II was to produce multiples of billions in war profits for Bush's conspiratorial pals. The criminally illegal war will continue as long as there is a profit to be made by those warmongering elitists. That's why the so-called mission has not been accomplished.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
gopher said:
5,6,8,12 years ...

And whatever happened to "mission accomplished"?

When you think about it, part I of the "mission" was to topple Saddam. Part II was to produce multiples of billions in war profits for Bush's conspiratorial pals. The criminally illegal war will continue as long as there is a profit to be made by those warmongering elitists. That's why the so-called mission has not been accomplished.

that "mission accomplished" banner/ remark can be interpreted several ways. It just might mean that the bush regime succeded in INVADING Iraq........but not much else. They "accomplished" this via a series of lies /spin..

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver

I recall that this War was "going to pay for itself" through the Oil revenues. As I understand it, the U.S. hasn't seen dime one yet largely because of the insurgency actions against the pipeline and the need to inject cash into the Iraqi economy.
So let's just add up the score folks:
No WMD
No music and flowers from the people of Iraq
No new volunteers for the U.S. Military
No oil income
No early exit
No friends in the region
What have I missed?

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver

In today's Guardian (Comment section), Gary Younge has written a very fine article entitled 'The Tipping Point'. The essence of the article is his belief that the U.S. Government has now passed the point where they have the sustainable support of the people. He concludes the article with the following quote from George Orwell, written over half a century ago:
"We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proven wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield."
As soon as I read this quote I though of Rumsfeld yesterday and his casual flippant attitude toward anyone who would question his infinite wisdom and truthfulness.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
though of Rumsfeld yesterday and his casual flippant attitude toward anyone who would question his infinite wisdom and truthfulness

arrogant S.O.B isn't he??? :twisted:

don't know about anyone else........but the minute his face or bush face enters the TV screen, the finger goes to "switch the channel " as if programmed now. :wink: