moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Silence In the Face of Truth: The Downing Street Memo
By Dante Zappala, TomPaine.com
Posted on June 15, 2005, Printed on June 26, 2005
http://www.alternet.org/story/22236/
For the first 30 years of my brother Sherwood Baker’s life, his mission was to be a responsible citizen. He made oaths and he honored those oaths. This made him a loving father and husband. This also made him a noble and committed soldier. He courageously deployed with his National Guard unit to Iraq in 2004.

For the last six weeks of his life, Sherwood’s mission was to provide convoy security for the Iraq Survey Group. He was killed in action, providing site security for the group that was looking for weapons of mass destruction. Mounting evidence indicates that the weapons’ non-existence wasn’t a mistake. It was a ruse.

The clouds surrounding Sherwood’s death became even darker recently when I read the contents of a memo from the upper echelons of the British government. The memo reiterates the fact that our administration had every intention of invading Iraq in the summer of 2002. The White House needed only to sell the idea to the American people.

Prior to Congressional approval, prior to saying, “War is the last resort,” the decision had been made to go to war, regardless of legal justification or the problems associated with the aftermath of an invasion. The most telling quote in this memo reads, “The intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy.”

Read the memo.

My brother died scouring the Iraqi countryside not to protect his country, but to satisfy the Bush administration’s public relations agenda.

The leaders of our country politicized intelligence to satisfy an ideology. My brother and more than 1,700 other soldiers have been killed as a result. Yet I have to sift through the papers and the news channels to find even a pulse of concern. In the wake of such disturbing revelations, a majority of our press and populace resoundingly choose to be silent.

Overwhelmingly, Americans have ceased to care about how and why we went to war. Apathy, in the face of our soldiers’ sacrifice, seems more convenient.

We cannot allow our government to simply replace the motivations for war midstream and expect an entire nation and all its allies to succumb to selective memory. Yet that is exactly what has happened.

The poet Archibald MacLeish, who also lost a brother in war, wrote:

They say

We leave you our deaths

Give them their meaning.

If we are to give meaning to the deaths in Iraq, we must be willing to engage in truthful dialogue about the pretenses of war. Acquiescing to the lure of silence and ignorance is an affront to the families and memories of all who have fallen. It is a prescription for unending violence and suffering.

Are we so ashamed of what our soldiers have done, and continue to do, in Iraq that we can’t even talk about how they got there? Or are we simply ashamed of ourselves for letting it happen?

We must each confront ourselves over the failures in Iraq. For that failure is not simply the fault of our leaders misusing suspect intelligence. Our course as a country ultimately stems from the individual conclusion of all of us to be either complicit or resistant to war.

The government’s failure in Iraq becomes our own failure when we substitute political rhetoric or blanket ideology for reason. It becomes our fault when we are recklessly arrogant and willfully deaf.

Our responsibility as citizens is to acknowledge and embrace the whole truth about the Iraq War. We must look past partisanship and hold ourselves and our leaders to the high standards of integrity that citizenship demands. When we fail to honor that responsibility, we fail to honor the sacrifices of our soldiers.

Dante Zappala is a contributor to Foreign Policy In Focus and a member of Gold Star Families for Peace and Military Families Speak Out.

© 2005 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/22236/

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article9307.htm

Seems the US media/new has been muzzled to a larger degree than one imagines.

quite amazing....to see the items reported elsewhere and not in the US. :?:

Just curious if you have seen these reports in Canada :?:

yes.......but they did not get much coverage. CA has a different style of presenting news.( as a rule)

Can't say I have ever heard of this anywhere except online. Where did you hear in Canada? On the news? Or in print?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
both........but the news of the various floods took precidence in the media in CA.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
both........but the news of the various floods took precidence in the media in CA.

Well I couldn't find anything on Al-Jazeera either, and if they aren't taking advantage of it, there is more to it.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Enough is enough. Political correctness is no longer an option when discussing George W. Bush or the members of his administration. They are very simply lying bastards who have done and continue to do irreversible harm to the world.

In tonight’s speech, Bush managed to use the word “terror” or “terrorist” 31 times during the first 25 minutes.. He referenced 9/11 6 times. He invoked the name of Osama bin Laden 3 times.

By once again connecting the PNAC plan to invade Iraq with the events of 9/11, George W. Bush clearly proved that he is one lying son of a bitch. Let me remind the idiots who support this murderous criminal that Iraq was not even on America’s list of terrorist nations prior to the invasion. Just ask Colon Powell and Condoleezza Rice, both of whom declared Iraq to be no threat to America or the region PRIOR to the invasion!!!

During the post speech discussions on CNN the 2 Senators speaking discussed the benchmarks of progress in Iraq. They spoke of an Iraq that posed no threat to their neighbors and did not harbor terrorists as a primary goal. THAT WAS WHAT IRAQ WAS BEFORE THE GOD DAMN INVASION! Are they crazy or are they lying? You know the answer!!! THEY ARE LYING! The Democrats, the Rebublicans and the media are all lying! That’s all they have done for years! They are criminals they they deserve to have their careers ended and they deserve to be jailed for life for crimes against humanity!

Here is a little stat for you: George W. Bush’s environmental policies will result in the death of more human beings than in all wars combined. By virtue of his environmental policies alone, George w. Bush is a far greater threat to your well being and to our planet than any anything else on the planet other than total nuclear war. At this very moment his administration is reconstituting the production of nuclear materials that have not been produced since the end of the cold war. One speck of this plutonium can give you cancer. This is what George W. Bush contributes to the security of the world. He and his administration are the greatest threat to life on earth and they are in the midst of destroying our nation as well, by dismantling our Constitution, our civil rights, our economy and our general quality of life. Any president worth his salt would want to make the American people feel safe. George W. Bush wants to keep you frightened, and you should be. Only you should not be afraid of the enemies he points to, you should be very afraid of his policies, his administration and his lies.

(Project for a New American Century administration. He never told this nation that Iraq was a stable nation, however undemocratic, that never threatened a single American life. He never told this nation that his invasion and that of his father killed more people than Saddam ever did, and that George W. Bush’s father and our current Defense Secretary were the ones who helped Saddam KILL HIS OWN PEOPLE in the first place!

He never told this nation that Dick Cheney’s company was doing illegal business with Saddam while he was CEO of Halliburton.

George W. Bush is simply the biggest liar to ever grace our TV sets with the exception of Dick Cheney who has yet to utter a single true statement of any importance.

Our media continue to ignore the relentless lies coming from this bastard. They too are lying bastards; but that is so obvious that it is not worth mentioning at this point.

How long are we going to take it?

Note to the military: It is getting pretty damn hard to support you when I watch you cheer this vile criminal as he lies to you and asks you to die for his PNAC handlers. Iraq was not your enemy and they were not threatening our liberty, our freedom or our safety. You swore to protect our liberty, freedom and our Constitution. You did not swear to achieve the goals of the ruling elite. Wake up and start understanding that it is the anti-war movement who support you while your commander in chief lies to you. Start thinking for yourself. Would you rather have a yellow ribbon on your grave or would you rather have the support, admiration and appreciation of the anti-war community who spend their lives looking out for your best interest?

How many more uninformed lemmings will sign up to the military in order to fight a war that is based 100% on lies? How many more people are going to blindly march to their deaths and blindly murder innocent people at the behest of the ruling elite? Let me remind these military lemmings that no nations ever started a war. Only leaders start wars. Without you they are impotent and they can cause no harm to the world. George Bush and his entire administration are chickens; they never fought for this country. They never defended their fellow Americans. They did everything they could to avoid serving their nation yet they use and abuse the members of the military as if they were nothing more that numbers on a chart. It’s their war, it is not yours! Let them give their lives for this wonderful cause.

I am sorry if offended anyone and at the same time I say too bad. Enough is enough. Our military have to stop cheering the commander in chief because he is a lying son of a bitch!

extracted from TVlies

how about silence in the face of lies???? :evil:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
There's no silence.

But this kind of mono-focus even if righteous tends to silence any thing else.

Perhaps all crusaders must discipline themselves not to dilute their message and must blot out anything that might distract from the goal.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Anybody see David Gergens spin He sat there and connected 911 to the insurgents in Iraq 8O Unbelievable how stupid is the American public :? Watch Alex Jones confront Gergen about Bohemian Grove this guys a total mouth piece for Bush Here

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The Americans who don't read the papers, and who don't vote get polled alot.

But those who do read, and who do vote certainly do know that mostly Saudis piloted those attack planes into the Pentagon and the Twin Towers.

If there is a working version of democracy in the heart of the Middle East, in the heart of the Garden of Eden circumscribed by the Tigris and Euphrates, such a thing might be the new tower of Babylon destined to fall, or maybe it might change the whole Muslim world when each person asks, "Why must I live in a dictatorship? Why must I let the insurgents stupidly errorize my family?"

Afterall 8.5 million Iraqi voters had the guts to ask that question that trumps all the accusations of American stupidity.

More of them exist than the clowns the world supports.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
*sigh*

I guess it kind of sucks feeling you need to defend the indefensible, Jim, and oddly enough, I respect you for that...

But the fact remains that the US, which tries to portray itself as a bastion of truth and freedom has lied to the world, and committed attrocities monstrously disproportianate to the attrocities it endured...

The fact remains, and is being voiced by even the Republicans now, that your President and his cabinet, are tyrants, and deserving of a war crimes tribunal, not because they are the only ones guilty on the planet, but because they've shat upon everything that your great nation once stood for, and hopefully will again someday...

The world is outraged, not because this has never happened before, but because it is being perpetrated by the leaders of a nation that should be held to a higher standard than nations governed by two-bit dictators...

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Do you realize, Vanni that neither of the above 2 posts contradict each other?

I'm not sure why people are compelled to believe that one truth denies another truth ?

What you said is true, except for the sin of having a higher standard for US, which you should, but it begets having no standard for anyone else and proof of this is the lack of emotional anger towards the insurgents.

It is a selective anger, that allows evil to go behind you giggling, egging you on to your valid mission.

Mostly you nail the truth on the matter, Vanni, but where you err is to deny an equally valid truth in that preceding post of mine.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Vanni Fucci said:
*sigh*

I guess it kind of sucks feeling you need to defend the indefensible, Jim, and oddly enough, I respect you for that...

But the fact remains that the US, which tries to portray itself as a bastion of truth and freedom has lied to the world, and committed attrocities monstrously disproportianate to the attrocities it endured...

The fact remains, and is being voiced by even the Republicans now, that your President and his cabinet, are tyrants, and deserving of a war crimes tribunal, not because they are the only ones guilty on the planet, but because they've shat upon everything that your great nation once stood for, and hopefully will again someday...

The world is outraged, not because this has never happened before, but because it is being perpetrated by the leaders of a nation that should be held to a higher standard than nations governed by two-bit dictators...

EXCELLENT post. BRAVO!!!

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The insurgents are so bad in your world Jim .Let me ask you this if China came and invaded your country would you just sit there and do nothing :? Yea thats what I thought :p Somebody invades Canada your looking at one of the first insurgents right here :wink:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
No, I haven't denied anything Jim...

I am equally outraged by the cold, calculated attacks of the insurgents...yet, they are not the President of the United States of America while they are committing their crimes, are they?

I would like to amend the statement on higher standards to read that yours is the nation that should be setting the standard for the rest of the world to look up to...

...but do you really believe that the standard that has been set since even before March 19, 2003 is the one the rest of the world should emulate?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You got a point, mrmom2, but it certainly in no way invalidates my observation earlier about the emotion content of our selective outrage.

But let's take your point further. There are 8.5 million Iraqis who do not take to your point, who do not become suicide bombers, who do see a chance and do not find your truth to be the automatic reaction you claim it to be.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Who's numbers are those anyways got a link because if their medias or the USG numbers I don't have much faith in them :?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
8.5 million represents the estimate of most international news organizations on how many Iraqis voted in January.

Burden is on you to show if it was significantly less. But that's the number most consistently reported by liberal and conservative news outlets.

Although most news organizations are against the war, they all had to admit that they thought that January election was too soon, that the President Bush was an impossible idiot expecting to hold such a deadline (actually in deference to the revered patriarch Sistani of the shi-ites) and was destined not to have the turnout it did.

And the more important point, is that terrorism is not an automatic reaction even in Palestine especially for an over-40 year old who wants to live.

New banner: Don't trust anyone under 40.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
mrmom2 said:
The insurgents are so bad in your world Jim .Let me ask you this if China came and invaded your country would you just sit there and do nothing :? Yea thats what I thought :p Somebody invades Canada your looking at one of the first insurgents right here :wink:

seems you isolated the core of the issue. Most Americans don't even try to put themselves in the Iraqis shoes /or try to understand what it would be like to be INVADED MILITARILY the way Iraq was ELECTIVELY.....

(of course their usual line is : "it will never happen".......banking on their "power' military prowess etc . ) In their minds they are doing Iraq a "favor"..... :evil: Something very twisted in that kind of thinking.

If the US ...in its current insanity , invaded CA........it would have plenty of "insurgents" and fast like. and no amount of BS would change that.