jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Meet the New God.

Meet the God of Facts.

Meet the God of web links.

Meet the God of UNASSAILABLE PROOF.

We all know the type. The one who is so sure he or she is right.
They will gladly prove it to you. Hundreds of web links must prove they are right. How can you be so stupid in the face of facts after facts after facts?

What sets them apart from any religious fanatic?

They'll tell you.
It's about facts.
Religious fanatics don't have facts.

World of difference, isn't it?

Or is it?

What these "facts people" share in common with all religious fanatics is the tone of intolerance coupled with shock at how anyone else could disagree. They all congratulate each other, the singer to the choir. They all collectively shake their heads in amazement at those who "don't get it."

Not agreeing must mean those people are stupid, ignorant, not aware of what's going on in the world. If those people did read the newspapers those people might learn that their view is wrong.

They are most bewildered by the nuances, by eclectic selectivity.
Having a clear stand is most valued. Nothing less computes. Nothing less makes sense. Don't befuddle an issue --- an issue that is perhaps legitimately befuddling.

That, my dear friends, is to be distrusted.

In fact if both sides are weighed, giving neither hegemony over the other, why that's downright AMBIGUOUS and therefore it becomes an excuse to do nothing.

Never mind that such lack of clarity might be a deeper understanding of the issue, perhaps a more tolerant understanding of all sides of that issue.

Certainty. That's the key. Certainty is irritable.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
LOL !

Vanni !

I'm a guest so I have no call to be as brutal or profane as you.

But you certainly understand, even if you don't prefer to like the implications this has.

You are all very intelligent, funny, 3-dimensional, and sincere and certainly none of you took the short bus to school, so you can agree that none of that post was ambiguous.

It has merit and a logic.

And I enjoy the fun and passion of this board.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
:lol: :lol: Eloquent, Vanni.

Actually, Jimmoyer, facts have little to do with truth. I can marshal facts in such a way that I can prove black is white, but it has little to do with truth. Truth requires a certain amount of discernment and common sense.

I often appreciate people posting links to facts ... sometimes I learn lots of interesting stuff. But I think most of us are wise enough not to fall for a pack of facts as truth. :)

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Well then I apologize,

I mistakenly thought you posted that with the purpose to provoke, but that's not the case though is it Jim?

If you want to debate this though, then we'll debate...

Hopefully it'll be more sport than the last time...

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: THE NEW GOD RULES ALL

jimmoyer said:
Cosmo ???

That is exactly my point.

Please give it a second reading.

Sorry Jimmoyer ... I took your post as sarcastic, not earnest. Guess we're on the same page. Re-read mine ... I'm just supporting your point. ;)

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I already got spanked for being too bold, and there's no way I would be allowed the freedom that the natives have here.

And and (hang on here) it is perfectly understandable that some of you have more leeway than others because you know each other better and you trust each other more and you understand the backround and history of each other more.

And so let us all embrace this NEW GOD of the cyber universe of forums. You got to admit, you see this new GOD everywhere you look on the world wide web.

Knowing what this GOD is hopefully will inform and deepen our understanding.

By the way, just provoking you guys gives me no enjoyment, rather for me the pleasure lies in interesting you in another angle not often mentioned or discussed. Again that is my pleasure. I like to play chess with those who are challenging.

Otherwise, it's just all cyber master baiting.

So, if you can spot this God even among those who share your bias, now there's a point of departure beyond habit, beyond programming.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

jimmoyer said:
I already got spanked for being too bold, and there's no way I would be allowed the freedom that the natives have here.

And and (hang on here) it is perfectly understandable that some of you have more leeway than others because you know each other better and you trust each other more and you understand the backround and history of each other more.

And so let us all embrace this NEW GOD of the cyber universe of forums. You got to admit, you see this new GOD everywhere you look on the world wide web.

Knowing what this GOD is hopefully will inform and deepen our understanding.

By the way, just provoking you guys gives me no enjoyment, rather for me the pleasure lies in interesting you in another angle not often mentioned or discussed. Again that is my pleasure. I like to play chess with those who are challenging.

Otherwise, it's just all cyber master baiting.

So, if you can spot this God even among those who share your bias, now there's a point of departure beyond habit, beyond programming.

Hmmm...and do you not see that in discussing the fallacy of religion and the spurious origins of God, that I have been doing just that...trying to undo some of the programming...

...but then it's just as easy to say that I am intolerant, which isn't true in any case...I do not villify people for their faith, rather I try to show them that their faith is cyclical and inescapable...but sometimes people don't want to hear the truth...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
jimmoyer said:
Meet the New God.

Meet the God of Facts.

Meet the God of web links.

Meet the God of UNASSAILABLE PROOF.

We all know the type. The one who is so sure he or she is right.
They will gladly prove it to you. Hundreds of web links must prove they are right. How can you be so stupid in the face of facts after facts after facts?

What sets them apart from any religious fanatic?

They'll tell you.
It's about facts.
Religious fanatics don't have facts.

World of difference, isn't it?

Or is it?

What these "facts people" share in common with all religious fanatics is the tone of intolerance coupled with shock at how anyone else could disagree. They all congratulate each other, the singer to the choir. They all collectively shake their heads in amazement at those who "don't get it."

Not agreeing must mean those people are stupid, ignorant, not aware of what's going on in the world. If those people did read the newspapers those people might learn that their view is wrong.

They are most bewildered by the nuances, by eclectic selectivity.
Having a clear stand is most valued. Nothing less computes. Nothing less makes sense. Don't befuddle an issue --- an issue that is perhaps legitimately befuddling.

That, my dear friends, is to be distrusted.

In fact if both sides are weighed, giving neither hegemony over the other, why that's downright AMBIGUOUS and therefore it becomes an excuse to do nothing.

Never mind that such lack of clarity might be a deeper understanding of the issue, perhaps a more tolerant understanding of all sides of that issue.

Certainty. That's the key. Certainty is irritable.

jim: with due respect, it is you , yourself that is defining this
new "god" as if this has any "god" qualities.

reality is that this is the information age. Links, facts, theories , opinions etc are all part of this information age.

societies move in waves .ebbs. and phases. Has nothing to do with some "god" factor.

one could say that the only certainty is uncertainty.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Of course uncertainty is the only certainty.

I'm not describing the concept of certainty.

See the difference?

I'm describing the NEW GOD that people worship and hold high, and lives in every debate in every forum in the cyber universe.

I'm describing the irritability of people's certainty.

I'm describing how people use a parade of web links, facts as the GOD OF PROOF.

I'm describing this behavior of people as just about no better than the religious types they condemn.

I'm putting a label on the secular emphasis on certainty, equally as intolerant as those of a religion, and in fact this attitude I'm describing IS the new religion.

Watch the emotion, the passion, the irritability.

The Certainty. OF PEOPLE.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I'm describing how people use a parade of web links, facts as the GOD OF PROOF.

hmm. That might be your perception and interpretation.....

but for others links are nothing more than a source of info. ---info that provides some facts , some opinion, some theory ....etc.

It is up to the reader to decide how much validity there is to the info. They can take it or leave it./offer supporting data or data that refutes it.

are links /facts "God"??? (in the metaphorical sense) No of course not.

are they the whole truth??? hardly ever.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Watch the emotion, the passion, the irritability.

this is part of the debate /discussion process . ...as done by human beings. Now , if there was a group of robots debating, the human equation would not exist. :wink:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The parade of links and facts are certainly presented as proof.

And when the disagreement occurs, watch the behavior of the person who posted those links.

Actually a very radical liberal friend of mine once told me that we never have a true conversation, an exchange of merit, we only engage to seek our echo.

Ping !!!

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

jimmoyer said:
The parade of links and facts are certainly presented as proof.

And when the disagreement occurs, watch the behavior of the person who posted those links.

Actually a very radical liberal friend of mine once told me that we never have a true conversation, an exchange of merit, we only engage to seek our echo.

Ping !!!

Well that's not really fair though is it...

Anything that is written is subjective...or can be perceived as such...

Nothing is infallible, which is exactly one of my beefs with many religions, that they view their scriptures as infallible...even after it's been proven that they are not...

But then what is the nature of that proof...according to some fo your comments, if it is written, it is subjective, and can prove, nor disprove anything...

So there is no proof of anything, unless muster up the evidence yourself...but don't write it down, because then it loses its ability to prove, or disprove... :roll: