btw: WHAT is the US image now???

Abu Ghraib???

Gitmo??

Iraq invasion based on fabrications??

the bush incoherency??

all of the above.???

( this is so sad to see. - )

where is the damage control team???

Have Users asked themselves the cause of "anti Americanism"??

Hard to tell, who to have more sympathy for: The victims of bush wars or the USers who are victims of their own doing.

either way, it is a sad state of affairs. :cry:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Bush since he first was elected really has tarnished the "image" of America. I am not surprised at the results.

China having a better image does not surprise me either, they have been putting a good effort to change and how the world views them, especially too since they were awarded the Olympics. Hopefully they keep progressing.

Thanks for posting the link. I heard something about this on the radio. :)

edited for spelling

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"btw: WHAT is the US image now??? "

It's still the land of the free and home of the brave to me.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: US "image" Abroad :-(

Jay said:

sounds a tad packaged,sloganish but each to his own. :wink:

reality is that the image has taken a beating.... ie....been tarnished.........and this is particularly significant for a society that is so "image conscious".

seems that it is about a lot more than "image"....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
China has a good image :roll: Huh their commies there into censorship F**k people need to wake up they are going to own our asses .Our politicians are going to sell our whole damn country to these control freaks :evil:

bulldog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
mrmom2 said:
China has a good image :roll: Huh their commies there into censorship F**k people need to wake up they are going to own our asses .Our politicians are going to sell our whole damn country to these control freaks :evil:

Yeah, right. I especially like the way the Chinese drop baby girls on the side of the road to die. Good image. :idea: I tend to judge a country based on how they treat their women. It's a pretty fair measure of civility.

Bulldog

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
Jay said:

reality is that the image has taken a beating.... ie....been tarnished.........and this is particularly significant for a society that is so "image conscious".

The image may have been tarnished by those on the outside, so it doesn't matter, now does it?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
mrmom2 said:

No one is saying that China has a "good" image. But when some say that their image is better ( perspectives being what they are) than the US image now......the issue is how tarnished the US image has become.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Jay said:

The image may have been tarnished by those on the outside, so it doesn't matter, now does it?

The "image" has NOT been tarnished by those on the "outside".......it has been tarnished by those in the "inside" .....cicles of the USG...... and the population that voted for it.

( a cute little spin on it......but it won't work. :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
mrmom2 said:

No one is saying that China has a "good" image. But when some say that their image is better ( perspectives being what they are) than the US image now......the issue is how tarnished the US image has become.

Well you know Ocean, it's not easy "elevating" a nations image when greater than 60% of your population believes Americans are, quote: ""greedy, violent and rude", not to mention "dishonest"

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Jay said:

The "image" has NOT been tarnished by those on the "outside".......it has been tarnished by those in the "inside" .....cicles of the USG...... and the population that voted for it.

Yes well, the inside is still OUR business, this is what you say all the time isn't it?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
mrmom2 said:

Well you know Ocean, it's not easy "elevating" a nations image when greater than 60% of your population believes Americans are, quote: ""greedy, violent and rude", not to mention "dishonest"

which population are you referring to??? Seems most of the world perceives the US in this way. But agree, doing a makeover, image wise, reputation wise.......can be a daunting task.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
mrmom2 said:

which population are you referring to??? Seems most of the world perceives the US in this way. But agree, doing a makeover, image wise, reputation wise.......can be a daunting task.

The Canadian population, and sorry to burst your bubble, but the rest of the world, with the exception of muslim countries don't share your views.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Jay said:

Yes well, the inside is still OUR business, this is what you say all the time isn't it?

Yes, what happens INSIDE is your business.....but when your actions affect other nations on this planet in a destructive way.......then it becomes everyone's business. The outside world did not tarnish you image. The image is based on the US actions abroad.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Jay said:

Yes, what happens INSIDE is your business.....but when your actions affect other nations on this planet in a destructive way.......then it becomes everyone's business. The outside world did not tarnish you image. The image is based on the US actions abroad.

Everytime you put gas in your car it affects the world in a destructive way. Hows that weather up there?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Toro said:
Yet people are willing to risk their lives just to come live here.

Not sure that is the topic/point. But if that is their choice. ........

Many move to the US or get dual citizenship because of their professions too.

therein lies the rub. An "Image" is one thing......but the reality might be something different altogether. Don't think people decide on where they want to live based on "image"

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
mrmom2 said:

The Canadian population, and sorry to burst your bubble, but the rest of the world, with the exception of muslim countries don't share your views.

Is there a survey of World opinion of the US now??? Don't think it is wise to make such a definative statement.

( have friends/aquaintances in Scotland, England, Sweden, Denmark., even Switzerland.......and their general views are not positive. ) But until such a survey is done ,one cannot say for certain.