WHAT IS A CEO ?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The New Economic Warriors

By Robert J. Samuelson

They've gone from heroes to bums. Hardly a day passes when the press or prosecutors don't thrash some corporate CEO for alleged managerial blunders or accounting illegalities. The insurance mogul Maurice "Hank" Greenberg, lately of American International Group Inc., is only the most recent target. Then there are those familiar symbols of scandal: the former bigwigs of Enron and WorldCom. A few years ago American chief executives were celebrated as architects of the New Economy. Now they inspire scorn or rage. What we have is a corporate Watergate, says management consultant John Challenger. It's that -- and more.

Like the preceding glorification, the present vilification obscures a larger reality. The true transformation of CEOs is not the recent plunge from public grace. It's a slow-motion evolution that, despite many excesses, mistakes and some crimes, has served the nation rather well. To oversimplify, CEOs have changed from bureaucrats to warriors. You can glimpse the effects in a couple of statistics. The first: In the fourth quarter of 2004, after-tax business profits were 9.2 percent of national income, the highest since at least 1950, says Mark Zandi of Economy.com. The second: From 2001 to 2004, annual growth in productivity (output per hour worked) averaged 4.3 percent, the best since -- again -- 1950.

In our mind's eye, we see CEOs as a ruthless and selfish bunch, closing factories, squeezing health insurance coverage and slashing wage increases -- even while arranging lavish pay packages for themselves. To some extent, the stereotype unfairly dehumanizes CEOs. But like many stereotypes, it contains much truth. In 2004 the CEOs of 179 major companies were paid an average of $9.84 million, up 12 percent from 2003, reports a survey done by Pearl Meyer & Partners for the New York Times. By contrast, average labor compensation rose only 4.5 percent.

But the obsessive drive to improve profits, though cold-blooded, also creates often-overlooked social benefits. It's not simply that growing profits bolster the stock market or finance new investment. The broader point is that advancing productivity -- a fancy term for efficiency and a byproduct of the quest for profits -- is the wellspring of higher living standards. Without it, we'd quarrel ferociously over pieces of a fixed economic pie (heck, even with it, we quarrel).

What moves productivity is a mystery, subject to many influences: new technologies, workers' education, the level of inflation and corporate management, among others. From 1973 to 1995, productivity growth averaged a lackluster 1.5 percent a year. Mediocre management was partly to blame. Small wonder. In the 1960s and 1970s, the prevailing idea was that CEOs should mediate among a company's various "stakeholders" -- workers, customers, shareholders, communities and governments. CEOs were usually "company men," promoted from within. Their main mission was to protect the organization and polish the public reputation of corporations. They were compensated like tenured bureaucrats without much incentive pay. Growing profitability and productivity were taken for granted, because American management was assumed to be so superior.

It wasn't. Competition -- foreign and domestic -- intensified. Hostile takeovers threatened lagging companies. Worried CEOs focused more on the bottom line. Directors increasingly picked outsiders as CEOs, "searching for a corporate savior," writes Rakesh Khurana of the Harvard Business School in his book by that title. The talents, temperaments and values of CEOs shifted. The new breed is more individualistic, more "charismatic" (Khurana's label), more profit-driven. They're not "company men"; they're corporate "change agents." They're devoted to improving the firm's economic performance; other goals come second or third.

This broad transformation -- even if it doesn't apply to everyone -- illuminates today's CEO paradox. At worst it leads to abuse and fraud. The abuse consists of all those inflated pay packages, reached in uncompetitive negotiations with directors. CEOs are often overpaid in the sense that they would work just as hard for less. From 1993 to 2003, the average compensation of CEOs of the Standard & Poor's 500 companies rose 146 percent after inflation, report Lucian Bebchuk of Harvard Law School and Yaniv Grinstein of Cornell University. Unlike bureaucrat CEOs, today's warriors feel little self-restraint; having been charged to maximize corporate profits, they feel entitled to maximize their own. The fraud occurs when this mind-set causes executives to resort to accounting deceits to prop up profits and stock prices.

But headline outrages are not the only story. A vibrant economy requires someone to screen out inefficiencies and promote change. In the 1980s U.S. companies were compared unfavorably with Japanese and German rivals that supposedly focused more on the "long term." In reality the "long term" was often an excuse to stand pat. The American economy has done better -- achieved higher living standards, adapted more smoothly to change -- in part because most CEOs faced problems when they arose and didn't wait for the long term.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Popular condemnation often is the thinking of the herd.

Often what the public wants leads to Unintended Consequences.

For example when President Clinton reacted to public outrage about high CEO salaries, he had the IRS put a limit that any company could write off more than a 100k of a CEO's salary.

Wonderful right?

That'll show those bad CEOs, and you're right --- those CEOs are always going to be bad.

BUT !!!!

Enter the Law of Unintended Consequences.

By closing this wonderful loophole, companies could no longer find it useful to offer CEOs huge salaries, and how could they negotiate to get the best and brightest, like sports owners do for the best athletes?

They offered STOCK OPTIONS.

Hoo boy !!!

Guess what that did?

It created an incentive for the nefarious CEO to report double digit profits that defied gravity year after year so the share price would go up, and in turn make his own stock options increase geometrically ---- a nice backdoor pay raise.

And thus began what Greenspan called, IRRATIONAL EXUBERANCE.

Now we're getting back to higher salaries to get rid of the incentive to cook the books.

What next will the wise and all powerful PUBLIC OUTRAGE ask ???

Got any ideas?

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: WHAT IS A corporate slut?

two quotes from the article by Robert J. Samuelson :
"The broader point is that advancing productivity -- a fancy term for efficiency and a byproduct of the quest for profits -- is the wellspring of higher living standards. Without it, we'd quarrel ferociously over pieces of a fixed economic pie (heck, even with it, we quarrel)."

"CEOs are often overpaid in the sense that they would work just as hard for less."

K -
It doesn't seem to make much sense... is this guy a professional writer? , and economist?
Not that I am, but I can see logic, or the lack of it...

The first quote above forgets to mention that since 1990 or so, there is no higher living standard, except for CEOs and others in that income level. The rest of us have seen an actual decrease.

That tells me he is just parroting the mantra for higher productivity, a sort of cracking the whip on the backs of slaves. The wealthy now have more than 90% [approx] of the worlds wealth, and it just keeps increasing as the rest of us do with less amongst more of us.

Its a damn propaganda piece my friend! A Corporate slut, as are all media that gets mainstream audiences.

But the 2nd quote - it either wasn't meant to stand alone, or he made a mistake.
Basic math says that if the CEOs worked 'just as hard', and get paid less, then its going the other way, not overpaid but underpaid...

WOW , did I say THAT??? that CEOs are UNDERPAID???
yup, I did what he wanted me to do, a tactic, a trick on me:
- I said the CEOs are UNDERPAID when I corrected his logically-challenged sentence. That was his intention all along I suppose...not a mistake at all.

Such bulltweet eh? or am I just totally confused?

This is media working for the Elites, and without any morality at all. Whatever it takes. No matter what trespasses, moral or logical, whatever they want. Samuelson is willing to stoop to tricks like this, even tho they are so stupid that nobody would fall for them.

Sure, trick us into saying CEOs are underpaid, and then its ok if they are overpaid.That can't be real, is it? I must have read it wrong... or he was quoted wrong...???
Maybe the general public is that gullable, it still doesn't make it right.

:?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You build your thesis on two shaky foundations such as:

1. We're all earning less and the CEOs are earning more.
2. some sylogism of a reason in your last paragraph.

Interesting.

But quite shaky.

You're more wish, than reason.