"Leave Bush and Blair alone," says Geldof.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Leave Bush alone, Geldof warns stars
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 21/06/2005)

Bob Geldof has reportedly warned a top recording artist not to publicly criticise the White House during the worldwide television broadcast of the Live 8 concerts next month.

The warning came after Geldof insisted that President George W Bush had done more for Africa than any other American leader.

The manager of the singer was quoted as having been told: "Please remember, absolutely no ranting and raving about Bush or Blair and the Iraq war. We want to bring Bush in, not run him away."

Geldof was said to be determined not to lose control of the central message of his concerts of putting pressure on the G8 leaders meeting at Gleneagles, although it will be difficult for him to stop artful performers like Will Smith, Eminem, 50 Cent and P Diddy from speaking out if they want to in Philadelphia.

Geldof, often the most trenchant critic of politicians, was sympathetic towards Mr Bush in an interview published by Time magazine. He sat with the U2 singer Bono, who recently publicly shook hands with the president.

Bono was exceedingly pro-Bush, calling him "the most important and toughest nut", a stance that has annoyed singers such as Billy Bragg and Sinead O'Connor, who think he is risking his credibility by getting too close to the leader.

But Bono seems to have influenced Geldof, who insisted in the interview that the United States had no "lack of empathy", adding that Tony Blair ("once a young git with the worst haircut save mine") was also "in tune with where we've come from". Blair actually cares passionately about Europe and the transatlantic alliance but also Africa too.

Geldof confessed that he had been forced to defend the Bush administration in a visit to France, where "they refuse to accept, because of their political ideology, that he has actually done more than any American president for Africa". Geldof said: "But it's empirically so."

The musician who was reportedly warned by Geldof to "stay on message" was anxious not to be identified, possibly noting the backlash that followed a comment by Natalie Maines, of the Dixie Chicks, at a London concert, when she announced: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Radio stations boycotted the band's music and their CDs were smashed by bulldozers before Maines publicly apologised to Mr Bush

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: "Leave Bush and Blair

Not really. Both Geldof and Bono have a reputation for using the carrot and stick with politicians...look at Bono's handling of Martin. Right now they are feeding Bush carrots. If he screws it up, he'll get the stick.

Speaking of Martin...Geldof is threatening him with another whack from the stick right now. Basically saying that if Martin isn't willing to boost aid spending to 0.7% of GDP, that he shouldn't bother showing up at the G-8 meeting. Martin is paying for those carrots he ate earlier.

Bush can expect the same treatment later...like just before the mid-term elections when he's most politically vulnerable.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Who gives a shit what Geldof says the guys been washed up for at least 20 years whats he done lately :p He seems to be trying to make a career out of Africa I wonder how much he skims off the loot he raises .I mean where does this guy get his money royalties off the boomtown rats I don't think so :p

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Geldof is ok, I hate Monday's too!

What has he been up to over the last 20yrs, did live aid burn him out THAT much?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: "Leave Bush and Blair alone," says Geldof.

Said1 said:

What has he been up to over the last 20yrs, did live aid burn him out THAT much?

I think the African sun "burned" him out :p

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: "Leave Bush and Blair alone," says Geldof.

I think not said:
Said1 said:

I think the African sun "burned" him out :p
It's possible. I haven't seen his name mentioned in non-profit circles for sometime. The leadership role he took on 20 yrs ago certainly fizzled out fast. Unless there 's something I don't know about??

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I agree that, if you want to accomplish anything, spending all of your energy fighting with and badmouthing everyone in positions of power is not effective.

However, I think this whole Live8 thing is just pointless, as is Geldof himself these days.

Is he going to have Michael Jackson front and centre?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Or that big ball of hash he had in the movie The Wall :p Maybe it was opium 8O

One of my all time fav movies....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I want to go to the concert in Barrie...hope tickets go on sale soon.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It wasn’t public opinion, the G-7 has been ignoring protestors for years. It wasn’t the rock stars either. Bono is famous, but he’s not that influential with men in suits. Bob Geldof hasn’t been heard from much since the original Live Aid concert. Sure -- Roger Waters is getting back together with Pink Floyd, but it isn’t like Syd Barrett is coming back or anything. Besides, somehow I can’t imagine the people at the G-7 taking even Barrett’s return as some kind of sign that they have to change their ways. The image of a bunch of finance ministers passing a joint around and listening to See Emily Play is kind of entertaining, but I doubt that it would be enough to induce any generosity in them. So what has brought on this surge of generosity?

My favourite paragraph on the subject.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now