Emotions or Facts?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
A wise man once said: "If you can take the emotion out of any situation, then and only then can you look at it logically". Powerful words that can be difficult to implement in one's own life. It's very hard to be honest with yourself at times. We are becoming an "Irrational People." That's to say we can rationalize almost anything if we lose site of the facts while gripping tight to the emotion or feeling. So then...is it possible for seemingly rational, intelligent, caring people...people of any walk of life to be blinded by their opinions...or their hatred? It happens all the time. Ask yourself if your politics and your opinions are based on emotion or facts!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
A wise man once said: "If you can take the emotion out of any situation, then and only then can you look at it logically". Powerful words that can be difficult to implement in one's own life. It's very hard to be honest with yourself at times. We are becoming an "Irrational People." That's to say we can rationalize almost anything if we lose site of the facts while gripping tight to the emotion or feeling. So then...is it possible for seemingly rational, intelligent, caring people...people of any walk of life to be blinded by their opinions...or their hatred? It happens all the time. Ask yourself if your politics and your opinions are based on emotion or facts!

My thinking is pretty black and white, although I tend to get fired up (NOT emotional :D) here and there.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I only get emotional at weddings... :crybaby:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Facts can get one "fired up", as Said put it. Not only that, but they should get people fired up. So should the actions of those in positions of power who seek to obfuscate or twist facts.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
There is a point in time after you have been fired up, that all you see is facts that serve your emotional needs. And thats all you see at that point.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It is almost impossible to have opinions and political beliefs that aren't based on emotions. The only people who can do this are considered inhumane. So what is the point?

The important part is to acknowledge the emotions involved, and the fact that your own experiences will make your interpretations different.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Not really. People deep in emotional ties to a political belief would acknowledge a fact as a lie if it went against their beliefs.

Thats being human, but also being irrational and emotional.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I have a one-track mind, ITN? You are the one who keeps bringing these things up.

Can you tell me why people supported Bush in the last election even though it was clear, looking at facts alone, that he had broken international law, squandered perhaps the largest amount of international good will the US had seen in 50 years, greatly harmed your economy, lied to Americans and the world, dodged service in Vietnam, been personally connected to biggest corporate scandal in US history, and was obviously too stupid to even recite a speech that was written for him?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Emotions or Facts?

Reverend Blair said:
I have a one-track mind, ITN? You are the one who keeps bringing these things up.

Can you tell me why people supported Bush in the last election even though it was clear, looking at facts alone, that he had broken international law, squandered perhaps the largest amount of international good will the US had seen in 50 years, greatly harmed your economy, lied to Americans and the world, dodged service in Vietnam, been personally connected to biggest corporate scandal in US history, and was obviously too stupid to even recite a speech that was written for him?

Emotions over facts of course.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Reverend Blair said:
Not at all. Those are all facts. It would take an emotional, and totally irrational, mindset to ignore them.

Exactly my point Rev. when you reach a point to serve your emotions and or pre-conceptions, you always take facts as propaganda.

cool_jedi

Apr 14, 2005
The problem is that racism always tend to get involved. Alot of the folks here believe that only certain ethnics can be communist. They often tend to use the excuse "I am not racist but an anti-communist". Your skin color doesn't necessary reflect how you think. Minorities get very sensitive on these issues and most westerners often just add fuel to the fire.

The people who we should really really really be hating and blaming is the whermacht. They are born evil.
we must punish the remnants. I ain't buying the "but but but they are caucasian" excuse either. Criminals are criminals and must be dealt with accordingly. All whermacht are volunteery murder wannabes. All whermacht acted on free will. Not a single whermacht is conscriped. It is a lie made by dogs like Ernst Zundel.
All whermacht must be punished to the maximum penalty allowable by international law.

The whermacht who are still alive are extremly dangerous.
After the war the surviving whermacht was not happy because there is peace and whermacht doesn't like peace. So all the whermacht decided to go into underground buisnesses like blackmarkets and human and narcotic trafficking as well as joining the mafia because they want excitement. Why? because all whermacht are born that way. They are genetic failures. They have no compassion like humans do. Whermacht are not humans and are jealous of humans so they seek to destroy mankind. we must stop them now!!!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Ok ... Yellow flag here, guys. Rev ... PLEASE don't turn this thread into one about Bush. I am so damn tired of hearing that name that, even as a dyke, the word makes me shudder.

I have been accused of being a "cold hearted bitch" on more than one occasion ... simply because I have the ability to set aside my emotions on a topic and look at facts only. Of course there are issues that push my freak out button, but generally I strive to separate my emotions because, as you said ITN, when our emotions get involved we cannot help but select facts that serve that master. There is a world of difference between marshalling facts and finding the truth of a thing. I can find facts to support anything but it doesn't make it truth.

I think there is a balance to be found, somewhere. I agree with Rev in that we SHOULD get emotional about some topics. As Canadians, we are eternally apathetic and need a fire lit under our collective tails from time to time. But once the fire is lit, we have to make sure it doesn't cause a runaway in the direction of sheer emotionalism.

And that's my two cents worth. ;)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Reverend Blair said:
But neither you nor the Bush regime has presented any reliable facts on which to base any sort of decision.

What am I being placed on the witness stand? I've already said my piece on this Iaq invasion many times. I think Saddam Hussein should of been removed from power. He was a threat to the Middle East, hence a threat to the US and the world.

Now the way Bush went about it and what he used as "evidence" is a different matter. If he used diplomacy and excercised more patience, dropped his arrogant posture. Then we would not have been talking about Iraq.

The world is pissed because of his "go it alone" policy and thats all there is to it.

I didn't hear anybody complaining in the Gulf War.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
no no no ITN ... not ANOTHER Bush thread ...
aaaaruuughghghghgh ... it's making me tear my hair out!

Please ... emotions vs facts ... give us non political types a rest!

Ok ... that was emotional. ;)