Isn't this nice ---- Not

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
TULSA, Okla. - The Tulsa Zoo will add a display featuring the biblical account of creation following complaints to a city board about other displays with religious significance, including a Hindu elephant statue.

The Tulsa Park and Recreation Board voted 3-1 on Tuesday in favor of a display depicting God's creation of the world in six days and his rest on the seventh, as told in Genesis, the first book of the Bible.

The vote came after more than two hours of public comment from a standing-room-only crowd.

Zoo employees, religious leaders and others spoke in opposition, saying religion shouldn't be part of the taxpayer-funded scientific institution.

But those who favored the creationist exhibit, including Mayor Bill LaFortune, argued that the zoo already displayed religious items, including the statue of the Hindu god, Ganesh, outside the elephant exhibit and a marble globe inscribed with an American Indian saying: "The earth is our mother. The sky is our father."

"I see this as a big victory," said Dan Hicks, the Tulsa resident who approached the zoo with the idea. "It's a matter of fairness. To not include the creationist view would be discrimination."

Hundreds of people signed a petition supporting the exhibit.

The new display will include a disclaimer that says it represents one view. City attorneys also advised it be placed alongside other cultures' views of creation.

Tulsa Zoo exhibit curator Kathleen Buck-Miser estimated it would take about six months to research and organize the exhibit. She expressed qualms about the zoo delving into theological debate.

"I'm afraid we are going in the wrong direction," she said.

Board member Dale McNamara, who voted against the proposal, agreed.

"I do not like the idea of scripture at the zoo," she said.

Zoo officials had argued that the zoo does not advocate religion and that displays like the elephant statue are meant to show the animal's image among cultures. The same exhibit includes the Republican Party's elephant symbol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Out of curiousity ITN.

What is not nice? Displaying the creationist views or all religious symbols?

I believe that all should be removed. Particularly if it receives govt. funds. If not, all should be represented.

Religious symbols whether they be Hindu or anything should not be displayed on govt. property.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Isn't this nice ---- Not

EagleSmack said:
Out of curiousity ITN.

What is not nice? Displaying the creationist views or all religious symbols?

I believe that all should be removed. Particularly if it receives govt. funds. If not, all should be represented.

Religious symbols whether they be Hindu or anything should not be displayed on govt. property.

Exactly what you said in bold.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
RE: Isn't this nice ----

Big deal...more complaining by people who are nowhere near this issue for it to affect them. Get over it.
One: they're not your tax dollars going into this display; and Two: the peoples tax dollars it is using signed a petition approving it. Democracy at its finest if you ask me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Isn't this nice ----

Sy said:
Big deal...more complaining by people who are nowhere near this issue for it to affect them. Get over it.

That's how it all starts. That's how everything has started.

One: they're not your tax dollars going into this display;

Thats a Canadian way of thinking (no offense). Public money, is public money, period. Those who opposed it, had their money spent.

and Two: the peoples tax dollars it is using signed a petition approving it. Democracy at its finest if you ask me.

You should have a chat with Gordon Torture on Democracy. Brrrr.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Sy said:
One: they're not your tax dollars going into this display; and Two: the peoples tax dollars it is using signed a petition approving it. Democracy at its finest if you ask me.

Would an equally vocal defence be mounted if the display were dedicated to the Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim religions under the same circumstances?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Canucklehead said:
Sy said:

Would an equally vocal defence be mounted if the display were dedicated to the Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim religions under the same circumstances?

Well they already had a Hindu, and Native American religious display which I am sure made it through without a peep.

I think what is getting people going is that they wanted to put up a Christian display. That is a "No No" in the U.S. It is easy to attack Christians here because they don't usually fight back. Sometimes they do as they are in this situation and that is most likely why it is making headlines.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

EagleSmack said:
Canucklehead said:
Sy said:

Well they already had a Hindu, and Native American religious display which I am sure made it through without a peep.

I think what is getting people going is that they wanted to put up a Christian display. That is a "No No" in the U.S. It is easy to attack Christians here because they don't usually fight back. Sometimes they do as they are in this situation and that is most likely why it is making headlines.

I can see the original two going up without notice but to be fair, neither of these religions are the 'founding religion' of modern North America and the whole seperation of church and state debate revolves around Christianity. I'd also think there is a difference in that the Hindu & N.A. displays are promoting cultural education of minorities whereas a Christian display is something like stating the obvious.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

Canucklehead said:
Sy said:

Most definetly....also if the will of the public's wish was to not have it there, the petition stated so and the display was still allowed then i would side with the public.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Isn't this nice ----

It gets quite tireing to hear day after day how so and so has this and how come we can't have what so and so has.

I get a mental image of a really ugly dwarf/gnome like creature when I hear this sort of thing.....

I could care less if I see a Ganesh with no Jesus beside it. I don't care if I see a bible with no Koran beside it. It all seems to incredibly petty...