Americans burning American flag

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I stumbled across this today and found it very disturbing.

http://www.thehaq.com/multimedia/videos/053 desecrate_flag.wmv

Is there such a thing as treason anymore? Is there at least ONE good reason for these people to not be deported?

If I saw such a thing in Canada I think I would lose it. I've heard a lot of people say "if you don't like it here, then leave" many times in this forum. Usually I write it off as jibberish by people who don't get democracy. In this case, I think these guys should be put on the first boat out of the country.

Let's see if the media even pays ANY attention to this going on. :evil:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is a common practice of groups like this and others. Our enlightened judges have deemed it "Free Speech". There is nothing Americans can do about it.

Burning the US Flag is a common past time for these folks. This is nothing new.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Americans burning Ame

Burning flags has been a form of political protest since flags were invented. If the Harperites were in power and making a mockery out of my country by committing war crimes at the behest of their American masters, I'd have no problem sparking up the Maple Leaf. I'd burn Old Glory with no hesitation too, or the Union Jack.

It isn't treason. The actions being committed by the Bush regime in the name of their country is treason though...anti-democratic, belligerent, ignorant, arrogant, criminal, inhumane, and unhuman.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The United States holds itself up to be the nation where human freedom finds its purest expression. Thomas Jefferson expressed this ideal in the Declaration of Independence when he penned the words:

"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

We have yet to achieve fully, all that these words mean, democracy has always been a journey not a destination. And when people have gotten offended in the past and demanded to ban flag burning, Thomas Jeffersons words rang again:

"The Supreme Court had ruled in the case of Texas v. Johnson that the First Amendment rights of citizens to engage in free speech, even if that speech is "offensive," outweighs the government's interest in protecting the American flag as a symbol of American unity and prevents the breach of the peace which was argued to be the result of such an action."

The United States is designed to evolve with the changing times, be they timely and evolutionary or rapid and revolutionary. The rapid times often test the validity of a governmental structure. If citizens of a democracy lose their voice during a radical time in the nation or world, the democracy will fail. Often, the government, in desperation, will overlook the general opinion of the public. Flag burning is one way to reclaim their attention, to bring forth a serious realization that the people think that whatever the government is doing is wrong and/or unjustifiable.

It was interesting to hear these people call this freedom of speech a "loophole". It hurts to see this. However, this a pure form of freedom of expression. I wonder how many other countries would allow this. I hope many.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Let us be honest, flag burning and desecration of the flag is also meant to incite and anger a certain group of Americans. Artists have also weighed in by making works of art desecrating the flag. A lot of times these works of art are even funded by the government which is mind boggling.

I do not think many other countries would allow this, or even if they did allow it there would be enough people around to stop it. But burning the US flag is a favorite past time for these people.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
EagleSmack said:
Let us be honest, flag burning and desecration of the flag is also meant to incite and anger a certain group of Americans. Artists have also weighed in by making works of art desecrating the flag. A lot of times these works of art are even funded by the government which is mind boggling.

I do not think many other countries would allow this, or even if they did allow it there would be enough people around to stop it. But burning the US flag is a favorite past time for these people.

I agree, and it upsets me that people would burn the American Flag. ( A few Canadians in BC did that a while back, over some Salmon quotas or something…completely disgusting) After all America has contributed to the world....but to write a law that says you can't burn the flag, would be to burn the flag...if you know what I mean.

Now if they put it in the Constitution...that might be different.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Perhaps the flag was tattered? You are supposed to burn the flag if it gets damaged :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Americans burning Ame

Reverend Blair said:
Quit pissing people off with your policies and they'll quit burning your flag. Not that complicated.

Oh I think they will find a reason. Remember... we can't do anything right. :wink:

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
While I doubt this is what they were doing, you COULD burn your flag to celebrate free speech......

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Americans burning Ame

You could if you tried, Eaglesmack. You choose not to, so people burn your flag. I think I'll spark one up this weekend. Why not?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Americans burning American flag

Jay said:
EagleSmack said:

I agree, and it upsets me that people would burn the American Flag. ( A few Canadians in BC did that a while back, over some Salmon quotas or something…completely disgusting) After all America has contributed to the world....but to write a law that says you can't burn the flag, would be to burn the flag...if you know what I mean.

Now if they put it in the Constitution...that might be different.

They have talked about making a Constitutional Ammendment about flag burning. It has always died in one of the Houses (Senate and Congress)

They have written a law that states you cannot have an open fire w/o a permit and that allows police to move in. However, what these yahoos were doing to the flag by stepping on it and ripping it up is legal.

Canadians were burning the US Flag?

How nice.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I think I'll spark one up this weekend too.........
oh right, we're talking about flags :) nevermind

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Because It isn't very nice Rev....and I know your a nice guy....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Americans burning Ame

Reverend Blair said:
You could if you tried, Eaglesmack. You choose not to, so people burn your flag. I think I'll spark one up this weekend. Why not?

We try... what is the use.

Go right ahead... call the media so you can get your mug on TV. You will be a hero!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

People all over the world burn your flag because of your political policies. You olympic hockey team walked on ours to get charged up for a hockey game. See the difference there?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Americans burning American flag

EagleSmack said:

How nice.

Over some salmon quotas.... very disrespectful...