Amnesty International Report 2005

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
The US administration’s attempts to dilute the absolute ban on torture through new policies and quasi-management speak such as "environmental manipulation", "stress positions" and "sensory manipulation", was one of the most damaging assaults on global values.

Despite the US administration’s repeated use of the language of justice and freedom there was a huge gap between rhetoric and reality. This was starkly illustrated by the failure to conduct a full and independent investigation into the appalling torture and ill-treatment of detainees by US soldiers in Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison and the failure to hold senior individuals to account.

"The USA, as the unrivalled political, military and economic hyper-power, sets the tone for governmental behaviour worldwide. When the most powerful country in the world thumbs its nose at the rule of law and human rights, it grants a licence to others to commit abuse with impunity," said Irene Khan.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGPOL100062005

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Amnesty International

They had someone from Amnesty on the radio this afternoon. Basically America is on par with Darfur and Pakistan for human rights violations. For being the so called "leader of the free world" they are not setting much of an example.

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the list goes on, should all be sent to the Hague for trial. They are all war criminals, period. I actually think "W" is very very sick man with some sort of mental illness, to tell you the truth, imho.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well..hows about this...remember that movie coma with christopher Walken...you know where he wakes up from being in a coma for 5 years, and he has special powers to see things. Well remember when he shakes the hand of soon to be president. Well what did he see 8O the guy was gonna push the red button in the future. George bush reminds me of that guy 8O

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
peapod said:
Well..hows about this...remember that movie coma with christopher Walken...you know where he wakes up from being in a coma for 5 years, and he has special powers to see things. Well remember when he shakes the hand of soon to be president. Well what did he see 8O the guy was gonna push the red button in the future. George bush reminds me of that guy 8O

Me too.

The Dead Zone? Is that what you are thinking of? It is a tv series now too.