The U.S.A. really don't care about Canada or anyone else

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
The U.S. Air Force Space Command has decided to launch a Titan rocket over the North Atlantic .
A 10 ton booster rocket will fall into Canadian water, near the Hibernia oil platform.
For safety reasons (we all know how accurate some U.S. rocket are :lol:) over 300 oil workers need to be evacuated and oil production will stopped for 2 weeks.
Thank you Americans for being good neighbourg.

(FULL STORY)

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: The U.S.A. really don

I saw that on the news. Disguesting. They should launch it in the Pacific near Alaska...........

btw: your link says "timed out" and "Page does not exist anymore" when you click on it. :wink:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
It pays to read newspapers outside of your country, because this was certainly not headline news in U.S.

I'm generally a conservative but I'm more curious what the world is saying even if I don't always agree.

I guess this incident is just one more nail in coffin America, but it still looks to me more like what Spain does to Morrocco on the disputed islands and yet sees no hypocrisy in its relationship to its own behavior concerning Gibralter.

Or it looks no different how the eastern slavic countries feel like the smaller states of America being pushed around when assembling the American and the EU constitutions.

Shoving others abounds.

Except for Canada.

:)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The Hibernia field is owned by ExxonMobil (33.2 percent)
Chevron Texaco (26.8 percent)
Petro-Canada (20 percent)
Canada Hibernia Holding Corp. (8.5 percent)
Murphy Oil (6.5 percent)
Norsk Hydro (5 percent).

Yes, we make sure we destroy a rig that 60% of it belongs to US multinationals, why not? It only cost $7 Billion to build. And why stop there? 90% of the oil pumped is imported to the US, we may as well add to the energy crisis. And while we're doing this we might as well endanger 300 lives on purpose, just for laughs.
We do this because we are such an evil empire to the point its even fun doing it to ourselves!

The Hibernia platform is located about 315 kilometres east of St. John's. That is not Canadian Waters JackD, nor in any Canadian news does it say so. That’s you, “buffing” up the news a bit.

Yes we fuck up BIG. Let’s not get paranoid over everything.

I can't get the updated news link to work so I copied and pasted it.

Canada Rules U.S. Rocket Risk Low, Oil Keeps Pumping

Thu Apr 14, 2:56 PM ET World - Canada
By Jeffrey Jones

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - Canada's largest offshore oil platform will not have to be shut down as a precaution against the risk of falling debris from a U.S. rocket, officials said on Thursday, ending a week of unusual diplomatic wrangling.

The Hibernia oil project off the Newfoundland coast had been on alert to halt production and be evacuated before the U.S. Air Force launches a Titan IV rocket on a trajectory that will take it over the region's oil producing area.

Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams said he was satisfied with new assurances from Ottawa that the U.S. could destroy the rocket if anything went awry and it appeared a 10-tonne booster might hit oil installations in the Atlantic Ocean.

The region's regulator, the Canada-Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board, ruled Hibernia and other oil operations can keep running normally, Williams said in a statement.

"After extensive efforts, I am relieved and satisfied that we have been successful in getting the assurances required to ensure the safety of workers on those vessels," he said.

Over the past week, he had voiced frustration over a lack of hard information about the risks of the launch.

The launch at Cape Canaveral, Florida, is now tentatively scheduled for April 20 after several delays, said Air Force spokeswoman Maj. Karen Finn. The United States plans to use the rocket to launch a classified satellite to be used for security purposes.

"It's not uncommon for the launch date to slip like this. The weather conditions have to be just right, everything has to be just right, and typically there's a lot of tinkering that goes on at the last minute," Finn said.

The issue grabbed international attention last Thursday, when the regulator ordered the 200,000 barrel a day Hibernia project evacuated and another rig towed away as a precaution against risks that both countries called minuscule.

Ottawa lobbied Washington to postpone the launch and later that day the Air Force pushed back the mission, prompting the evacuation order to be lifted.

But U.S. officials said they delayed the launch because of problems with the equipment needed to fuel the rocket, not in response to Canadian pressure.

U.S., Canadian, Newfoundland and oil industry representatives met in Nova Scotia last weekend to discuss the safety and environmental risks to the East Coast offshore, but Canadian officials said several thorny questions remained.

Williams said Anne McLellan, Canada's deputy prime minister, wrote to him late Wednesday to assure him that her staff reviewed all the U.S. data and analysis and were satisfied the oil operations will be safe during the launch.

The U.S. Air Force Space Command said its computers track flight paths on a real-time basis and the rockets have "destruct packages" that can be activated remotely if one veers too far from its intended route.

Hibernia, meanwhile, is pumping crude at normal rates, as it has been through the past week's machinations, said Alan Jeffers, spokesman for co-owner Exxon Mobil Corp. .

The other partners in the project, located 315 km (195 miles) southeast of St. John's, Newfoundland, are Petro-Canada, ChevronTexaco, Murphy Oil Corp., the government of Canada's Canada Hibernia Holding Corp. and Norsk Hydro .

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Mr I thinknot:
The Hibernia platform is located about 315 kilometres east of St. John's. That is not Canadian Waters JackD, nor in any Canadian news does it say so. That’s you, “buffing” up the news a bit.
For your information mr I think not, the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea signed on December 10th, 1982, to which our beloved neighbourg of the south is signatory to, states that Coastal States have exclusive rights to occupy, explore and exploit the natural resources of the seabed and its subsoil within a 200-nautical mile (370-kilometre) exclusive economic zone or to the limit of the continental shelf where it extends beyond 200-nautical miles.

Pls. refer to the link I posted, which is more recent than yours. The oil platforms will be evacuated and production will stop for about 2 weeks, at a cost of some $200million.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
jackd said:
Mr I thinknot:
For your information mr I think not, the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea signed on December 10th, 1982, to which our beloved neighbourg of the south is signatory to, states that Coastal States have exclusive rights to occupy, explore and exploit the natural resources of the seabed and its subsoil within a 200-nautical mile (370-kilometre) exclusive economic zone or to the limit of the continental shelf where it extends beyond 200-nautical miles.

Pls. refer to the link I posted, which is more recent than yours. The oil platforms will be evacuated and production will stop for about 2 weeks, at a cost of some $200million.

That doesnt mean its Canadian Waters JackD, you do indeed have all the rights you mentioned, it's still in international waters. Those rights exist for other countries not being able to have access to those areas.
The $200 million dollar cost would be picked up by the multinational corporations and its partners. And I did refer to your post, the rig is not being shut down. My point is that you took a reaction from a local government official and turned it into a US baggering of Canadian sovereignty.

Can this be true?

8O "Williams spoke with both Prime Minister Paul Martin and Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan about the matter.
However, the premier said he took his greatest comfort from the U.S. air force itself." 8O

uban001

Apr 16, 2005
U.S.A. seldom cared about other countries, especially after Bush got the power, and Canada won't be an exception to it.
U.S.A. has to make some changes, otherwise it will lose more in a long run.

jackd said:
The U.S. Air Force Space Command has decided to launch a Titan rocket over the North Atlantic .
A 10 ton booster rocket will fall into Canadian water, near the Hibernia oil platform.
For safety reasons (we all know how accurate some U.S. rocket are :lol:) over 300 oil workers need to be evacuated and oil production will stopped for 2 weeks.

(FULL STORY)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
uban001 said:
U.S.A. seldom cared about other countries, especially after Bush got the power, and Canada won't be an exception to it.
U.S.A. has to make some changes, otherwise it will lose more in a long run.

jackd said:

(FULL STORY)

"My point is that you took a reaction from a local government official and turned it into a US baggering of Canadian sovereignty."

I think I made it clear what I was trying to convey

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
I think not
How would the US react if Canada (or any other country) were to launch a rocket over Colorado and tell the US....""don't worry, but a 10 tons booster rocket will fall within 15miles of XX village.""

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
jackd said:
I think not
How would the US react if Canada (or any other country) were to launch a rocket over Colorado and tell the US....""don't worry, but a 10 tons booster rocket will fall within 15miles of XX village.""

Are you familiar now with the rockets trajectory also? Do you think this rocket is flying over Canadian airspace (if indeed it is) without your government approving of it? Don't you think THAT would of made greater headlines than the debris falling near an oil field? But to answer your question, If Canada was doing it, I'm sure they would of had permission to do so. And don't throw Canada in the same lines as other countries, if Canada was to launch anything over the US I wouldn't be concerned about it.

uban001

Apr 16, 2005
What an excellent assumption! I can imagine the expression of Bush.
It's so funny.
jackd said:
I think not

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
uban001 said:
What an excellent assumption! I can imagine the expression of Bush.
It's so funny.
jackd said:
I think not

....great point..... :scratch: