Most Iraqis say future looks brighter

alienofwar

Mar 2, 2005
Most Iraqis say future looks brighter

By Barbara Slavin, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — More Iraqis believe their country is headed in the right direction and fewer think it's going wrong than at any time since the U.S. invasion two years ago, according to a new poll.
The poll, by the International Republican Institute (IRI), due to be made public Wednesday, also found that nearly half of Iraqis believe that religion has a special role to play in government.

The survey of 1,967 Iraqis was conducted Feb. 27-March 5, after Iraq held its first free elections in half a century in January. According to the poll, 62% say the country is headed in the right direction and 23% say it is headed in the wrong direction. That is the widest spread recorded in seven polls by the group, says Stuart Krusell, IRI director of operations for Iraq. In September, 45% of Iraqis thought the country was headed in the wrong direction and 42% thought it was headed in the right direction. The IRI is a non-partisan, U.S. taxpayer-funded group that promotes democracy abroad.
Pollsters did not survey three of Iraq's 18 provinces because of security and logistical concerns. Two of those omitted, Anbar and Ninevah, are predominantly Sunni Muslim. A third, Dahuk, is mostly Kurdish. Krusell said that even if those areas had been included and 100% had expressed negative views, the poll would still have shown that most Iraqis believe that the situation in their country is improving.

The poll showed continuing sharp differences among Iraq's ethnic and religious groups, with 33% in Arab Sunni areas believing the country is headed in the right direction, compared with 71% of Kurds and 66% in the Shiite south. The deposed regime of Saddam Hussein favored Arab Sunnis and persecuted Kurds and Shiites.

According to the poll, more than 80% of Iraqis voted Jan. 30 in the Shiite south and the Kurdish north. In Sunni areas, 44% voted.

The newly elected assembly, which meets for the first time today, is to choose a government and write a constitution.

The poll showed that Iraqis are almost evenly split over the role of religion in government, with 48% favoring a "special role" for religion, but 44% saying religion and government should remain separate. A plurality of 47% say religious leaders should have the greatest input in writing the constitution.

Krusell said that is not surprising since Iraq is predominantly Muslim but that "it doesn't translate into support for Sharia," or strict Islamic law. Of those polled, 22% say the constitution should ensure "the Muslim identity of Iraq" but only 4% say Sharia should be the most important element.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-03-15-iraq-poll_x.htm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Most Iraqis say futur

Why would anybody hope and pray that it's wrong? You have a very real tendency to place completely false rhetoric into your posts, don't you?

It is very likely overly optimistic though. The source is highly partisan and the article is filled with little qualifiers like
The poll showed continuing sharp differences among Iraq's ethnic and religious groups...
and
The poll showed that Iraqis are almost evenly split over the role of religion in government, with 48% favoring a "special role" for religion, but 44% saying religion and government should remain separate. A plurality of 47% say religious leaders should have the greatest input in writing the constitution.

While Iraq is very likely headed in a better direction than it was during the massive bombing campaign at the start of the war, and did manage to massively reject George Bush's chosen puppet during the recent election, the optimism expressed in in this partisan report is cautious at best.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Geez MSN has an article today saying scores died in U.S. custody in U.S. war zones .That reporter must have been talking to Iraqi citizens in the green zone . I would guess she didn't talk to the familys waiting for news of there loved ones outside Abu Ghraib prison.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Most Iraqis say futur

Reverend Blair said:
Why would anybody hope and pray that it's wrong? You have a very real tendency to place completely false rhetoric into your posts, don't you?

It is very likely overly optimistic though. The source is highly partisan and the article is filled with little qualifiers like
The poll showed continuing sharp differences among Iraq's ethnic and religious groups...
and

While Iraq is very likely headed in a better direction than it was during the massive bombing campaign at the start of the war, and did manage to massively reject George Bush's chosen puppet during the recent election, the optimism expressed in in this partisan report is cautious at best.

It is heading in the right direction because of the Military Campaign as a whole.

I just am of the opinion that you hope that everything this administration or the USA does fails. If it succeeds you have been proven wrong and that is a fate worse than the well being of any people.

Rev... do you think for one moment the US believed that Alawi would win the election? The US supported him as he was in charge and they should have supported him. Allawi was no puppet and spoke out against the US many times. He was in charge of the interim Govt and was deserving of our backing until elections could take place.

You have failed to bring up the fact that the winning party the "Iraqi Revolutionary Council" has come out in support of the US Troops to stay in Iraq until they can defend themselves.

Sorry.... I know truth hurts.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Most Iraqis say future looks brighter

mrmom2 said:
Geez MSN has an article today saying scores died in U.S. custody in U.S. war zones .That reporter must have been talking to Iraqi citizens in the green zone . I would guess she didn't talk to the familys waiting for news of there loved ones outside Abu Ghraib prison.

I know that folk like you must be looking for any excuse to deny reality. It is a pity actually.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Take a look at the article before you condem me.I hope your right about Iraq for the sake of the people there .But i don't believe your media . Your gang has already said they are reality .The pentagon publishing fake news storys. Fake white house reporters .I don't know how you could believe anything coming out of your mainstream media?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Most Iraqis say future looks brighter

mrmom2 said:
Take a look at the article before you condem me.I hope your right about Iraq for the sake of the people there .But i don't believe your media . Your gang has already said they are reality .The pentagon publishing fake news storys. Fake white house reporters .I don't know how you could believe anything coming out of your mainstream media?

I don't usually believe anything out of my mainstream media as it is mostly liberal.

For example, these WH news reports being reported by the mainstream media. The reports you just mentioned right?

Why should we believe them... I think we agree again Mr. Mom!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Corruptiom in Iraq. A lot of it is connected to foreign contractors.

Meanwhile reporters can't leave the Green Zone. Of course even the Green Zone isn't safe, the CBC was reporting that explosions were rattling the windows as the Iraqi National Assembly met for the first time.

Of course another member of the US military is facing charges for yet another war crime committed in Iraq. These war crimes aren't isolated incidents, there have been far too many of them for that. It is a systemic problem and, like all systemic problems, starts at the top.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Reverend Blair said:

Meanwhile reporters can't leave the Green Zone. Of course even the Green Zone isn't safe, the CBC was reporting that explosions were rattling the windows as the Iraqi National Assembly met for the first time.

Of course another member of the US military is facing charges for yet another war crime committed in Iraq. These war crimes aren't isolated incidents, there have been far too many of them for that. It is a systemic problem and, like all systemic problems, starts at the top.

Hey, I am glad you linked the second article. You probably did not read in through before linking it as it is Pro-Iraq and a Pro-US slant!

Thanks REV!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Reverend Blair said:

They are exactly that...isolated. He has been convicted and punished.

alienofwar

Mar 2, 2005
Thats interesting how Reverend reacts. His response is by posting three articles reporting negative news that is occuring in relation to Iraq. Yet, he didn't even respond to Eaglesmack stating that the winning Iraqi party is pro-U.S....even though in his earlier post he states that Allawi (so called "puppet gov't") was massively rejected by the Iraqi people.

Reverend this right here shows how selective you are when responding to posts. Eaglesmack is right, you are butchering the posts.

Okay, so I post some good news about Iraq, shouldn't everybody be happy? Isn't this what we want, the people of Iraq having a brighter outlook on their future? And it's not just this, theres more signs that Iraq is improving...for example, I also posted a article about a march of 2000 protestors who came out in defiance of the insurgents who are commiting chaos in their area. They were angry, they are trying to rebuild and yet the insurgents keep ruining it for them. And all the reverend can do is make excuses for their actions or point out what the U.S is doing wrong. Really, who's side are you on Reverend?

And in response to those negative articles, these are all indicators that there is still alot of work to do and it doesn't come easy. Of course there are going to be abuses in the war, give me an example of ONE war in human history that did not involve any scandals or abuses?? Seriously, what the press does is take something and completely inflate it. Also, of course the re-construction process will involve corruption, they are dealing with a new country and many people out there are willing to take sinister advantage of it. And concerning the explosions outside the assembly, its just more news about the insurgents who are resisting democractic change, this is nothing new.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
alienofwar said:
Thats interesting how Reverend reacts. His response is by posting three articles reporting negative news that is occuring in relation to Iraq. Yet, he didn't even respond to Eaglesmack stating that the winning Iraqi party is pro-U.S....even though in his earlier post he states that Allawi (so called "puppet gov't") was massively rejected by the Iraqi people.

Reverend this right here shows how selective you are when responding to posts. Eaglesmack is right, you are butchering the posts.

Okay, so I post some good news about Iraq, shouldn't everybody be happy? Isn't this what we want, the people of Iraq having a brighter outlook on their future? And it's not just this, theres more signs that Iraq is improving...for example, I also posted a article about a march of 2000 protestors who came out in defiance of the insurgents who are commiting chaos in their area. They were angry, they are trying to rebuild and yet the insurgents keep ruining it for them. And all the reverend can do is make excuses for their actions or point out what the U.S is doing wrong. Really, who's side are you on Reverend?

And in response to those negative articles, these are all indicators that there is still alot of work to do and it doesn't come easy. Of course there are going to be abuses in the war, give me an example of ONE war in human history that did not involve any scandals or abuses?? Seriously, what the press does is take something and completely inflate it. Also, of course the re-construction process will involve corruption, they are dealing with a new country and many people out there are willing to take sinister advantage of it. And concerning the explosions outside the assembly, its just more news about the insurgents who are resisting democractic change, this is nothing new.

**Eaglesmack will learn to follow the rules eventually. Until then, his posts will be edited.**

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Thats interesting how Reverend reacts. His response is by posting three articles reporting negative news that is occuring in relation to Iraq.

I posted 3 articles that strongly suggested that things aren't as rosy as suggested in a partisan poll cited in an article you posted. I can post more if you'd like. All from sources more reputable than USA Today.

Yet, he didn't even respond to Eaglesmack stating that the winning Iraqi party is pro-U.S

Because there are mixed signals coming from the new government and, if you read the article that EagleSmack accused me of not reading, you will find that today was the first day the new government sat and that they have been unableto form a working coalition so far.

Okay, so I post some good news about Iraq, shouldn't everybody be happy? Isn't this what we want, the people of Iraq having a brighter outlook on their future?

If the news turns out to be true, I'll be happy for the people of Iraq. Things are far from settled there though. There are still many questions, like what happens if the new Iraqi government re-nationalizes the oil industry or boots US companies out and invites others to bid? What if they decide they prefer they Euro over the greenback? You can't take an article from a questionable source citing a poll from a partisan organisation and say that it is final proof of your point.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
EagleSmack said:
alienofwar said:

**Eaglesmack will learn to follow the rules eventually. Until then, his posts will be edited.**

You are right Alien

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Reverend Blair said:
Thats interesting how Reverend reacts. His response is by posting three articles reporting negative news that is occuring in relation to Iraq.

I posted 3 articles that strongly suggested that things aren't as rosy as suggested in a partisan poll cited in an article you posted. I can post more if you'd like. All from sources more reputable than USA Today.

Yet, he didn't even respond to Eaglesmack stating that the winning Iraqi party is pro-U.S

Because there are mixed signals coming from the new government and, if you read the article that EagleSmack accused me of not reading, you will find that today was the first day the new government sat and that they have been unableto form a working coalition so far.

Okay, so I post some good news about Iraq, shouldn't everybody be happy? Isn't this what we want, the people of Iraq having a brighter outlook on their future?

If the news turns out to be true, I'll be happy for the people of Iraq. Things are far from settled there though. There are still many questions, like what happens if the new Iraqi government re-nationalizes the oil industry or boots US companies out and invites others to bid? What if they decide they prefer they Euro over the greenback? You can't take an article from a questionable source citing a poll from a partisan organisation and say that it is final proof of your point.

Well... those Iraqis must be incompetent then. Do you mean they did not form a working coalition on the first day they met! I am sure you could teach them how to solve all the problems in one day... why can't they!

C'mon guy... use some sense. How are they supposed to solve everything when they just met for the first time! Geez.

The Euro may be doing ok now but there are rumblings of a lot of unstability and fractures.

Maybe they should use the Loonie!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They've been trying to form a wroking coalition since the election results were in. The Euro is more stable than the US dollar and has fewer liabilities against it.

Facts, EagleSmack...remember them?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Careful eagle at least the euro is gold backed not like your fiat currency and ours .The moneys not worth the paper its printed on!Yours or ours

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Most Iraqis say futur

Reverend Blair said:
They've been trying to form a wroking coalition since the election results were in. The Euro is more stable than the US dollar and has fewer liabilities against it.

Facts, EagleSmack...remember them?

It is in better shape at this moment... but boy, things look very shaky. It is sort of like the ".com" boom. A lot of people in England want to bail as they are not enjoying the fruits of their hard work.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

What you aren't mentioning is that Britain is split on the issue because there are very definite advantages to being part of the EU. The British boom could end very quickly if they pulled out.

The stability of the Euro is based on it being backed by gold and the diversity of economic input it enjoys from all across Europe. The stability of the US dollar is dependent on it remaining the world's oil currency (in question); political conflict with China not leading to them dropping the US dollar like a rock (in question); European and Asian creditors not getting much more nervous (in question); and George Bush being able to cut the deficit, the debt, and the trade deficit all while creating jobs (doubtful).