5th Estate Chumps Coulter... Hilarity ensues

Liberal Aggression

Feb 28, 2005
Ottawa
Apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum for this, but it relates to Canadian involvement in Vietnam, so I figured it was international in scope. This happened a few weeks ago but I didn't notice any mention of it on the boards and it's quite funny, so...

Conservative windbag columnist extraordinatire Ann Coulter gets FACED by the 5th Estate.

President Kennedy once said, "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." Ann Coulter personifies this statement to the extreme. For those that aren't aware, Ann Coulter is a jingoistic fearmongering conservative journalist. She recently had this to say about Canada during a segment with Tucker "I'm too cheap to buy a toupe that fits" Carlson on CNN's Crossfire: "Canada is lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent."

She recently did an interview with McKeown of the Fifth Estate, I guess no one told her that he wouldn't kiss her ass and drool over every inaccurate piece of garbage she burped up into her microphone. This transcript makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.

Coulter: "Canada used to be one of our most loyal friends and vice-versa. I mean Canada sent troops to Vietnam - was Vietnam less containable and more of a threat than Saddam Hussein?"

McKeown interrupts: "Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam."

Coulter: "I don't think that's right."

McKeown: "Canada did not send troops to Vietnam."

Coulter (looking desperate): "Indochina?"

McKeown: "Uh no. Canada ...second World War of course. Korea. Yes. Vietnam No."

Coulter: "I think you're wrong."

McKeown: "No, took a pass on Vietnam."

Coulter: "I think you're wrong."

McKeown: "No, Australia was there, not Canada."

Coulter: "I think Canada sent troops."

McKeown: "No."

Coulter: "Well. I'll get back to you on that."

McKeown tags out in script

McKeown: "Coulter never got back to us -- but for the record, like Iraq, Canada sent no troops to Vietnam."

LOL, isn't the Fifth Estate great.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: 5th Estate Chumps Cou

That was a really wonderful thing to see. It sent bill O'Reilly int a hissy fit too, saying that the CBC had done a hatchet job on Fox. Of course all the CBC did was report the truth...that Fox is filled with liars who act as mouthpieces for the liars in the Bush administration.

Liberal Aggression

Feb 28, 2005
Ottawa
Re: RE: 5th Estate Chumps Cou

Reverend Blair said:
It sent bill O'Reilly int a hissy fit too, saying that the CBC had done a hatchet job on Fox.

Passioned defense from a sexual deviant GOP mouthpiece, LOL. If she could just get Jeff Gannon/Guckert in her corner (since she's already in his) she'd have quite the team going.

That's the kind of defense I myself would want to do without! :D

Frotttles

Mar 6, 2005
On the other hand, the CBC showed just a few minutes of a 3 hour interview session in which the form of Canadian involvement in Vietnam was a minor detail. Coulter's larger point was that Canadian foreign policy appears to be incoherent.

• During the Vietnam conflict, the Canadian Prime Minister quietly gave his thumbs up for the bombing of North Vietnam. His government supported and gave aid to South Vietnam only. Canadian officials worked with the US on intelligence and made other contributions to the war effort. Canada did not take a pass on Vietnam, as the CBC interviewer claimed.

The Canadian government sent troops to Vietnam and about 1,800 medals were awarded for that service. They did not serve as fighting units as per the Australian troops, but they went in Canadian uniform and under the Canadian flag with the sanction of their government.

Also, a granite replica of the Vietnam War Memorial Wall stands on Canadian soil to commemorate about 10,000 Canadians who served in the Vietnam war. About 40,000 Canadians joined the US Military during the conflict. The entirely voluntary Canadian military downsized during that same period from about 120,000 to 80,000. It was lawful to serve in the war and Canadians who had volunteered for service in the militaries of the US and Allies were later welcomed back to their country. Canadians did make sacrifices in the fight to contain the threat of Communism.
Coulter has since remarked tongue-in-cheek, "It turns out there were 10,000 Americans who happened to be born in Canada."

Contrary to the CBC interviewer's claim, Canadian officers served in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The second-ranking officer leading the US and Coalition forces in Iraq is a general in the Canadian military. Also, individual Canadians have joined the various Coaliton militaries now in Iraq.

The Canadian Defence Department has acknowledged that it has personnel serving with the Coalition. The New Democratic Party of Canada has demanded that the Canadian government pull-out Canadian personnel. The Conservative Party of Canada has demanded that the government support those Canadians serving in Canadian uniform in the Iraq theater.

• The independant Polaris Institute in Ottawa said that because the facts on the ground contradict the Government's foreign policy: "Policy incoherence would be an understatement."
The Iraqi policy of the current Liberal government does not seem to be consistent with Canada's willingness to fight to contain the threat of the islamo-totalitarians. To paraphrase Coulter: Is the new threat much different? The government's position appears to contradict Canada's record as a friend and ally of their American neighbours and allies such as Great Britain and Australia.

The facts about Canadian involvement in the Vietnam, as in Iraq, support Coulter's opinion on the broader point and expose the CBC interviewer's misleading attempts to correct her.

Or perhaps he was just as confused as most people who look at the foriegn policy of the Canadian government -- then and now.