'America Would Back Israel Attack on Iran'

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/021805I.shtml

"Clearly, if I was the leader of Israel and I'd listened to some of the statements by the Iranian ayatollahs that regarded the security of my country, I'd be concerned about Iran having a nuclear weapon as well. And in that Israel is our ally, and in that we've made a very strong commitment to support Israel, we will support Israel if her security is threatened."

Nice...looks like the US has a better plan...let Israel deal with all the bad publicity...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: 'America Would Back I

I think Georgie is biting off more than he can chew. He desperately wants to after Iran and Syria but he hasn't got the people, so he's encouraging Israel to do his dirty work.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

What does he mean by "the world" though? My guess is that if they think the US is behind them, Israel will go after Iran. Not exactly the world, is it?

The scary thing is that with Russia and China depending on Iran for oil and gas, this could spiral out of control pretty quickly.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
http://monabaker.com/quotes.htm

"Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
-- Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey!

I don't think anyone is gonna attack anybody.

The elite know full well that the economy is failing ..... as the economy fails, the politicians need to talk strong in order to blur the reality.

If Bush and The Boys were not out there everyday talking "strong", the American people would go to bed every night worrying about just how weak they really are.

This will be my last post here for a while.
I'm gonna concentrate on visiting blogs for the next 6 months or so.
Keep smilin' and don't let 'yer mouse byte yuh!

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

But a new war takes the electorate's mind off of the economy, Calm. It doesn't always work (witness what happened to George Sr.) but that's never kept the policians from trying it.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
GW is not an ordinary politician. He and his devotees are fanatics. The religious fanatics need to drive the Islamic Infidels out of the their vision of a Holy Land. The oil fanatics need to drive tha arabs out of the oil fields. They're all insane. They don't care how much damage they cause in the process.

The inmates are in charge of the asylum.

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
Re: RE: 'America Would Back Israel Attack on Iran'

The inmates are in charge of the asylum.[/quote]

Good analysis. W is like the character played by Slim Pickens in Dr. Stranglove where at the end of the film he's riding the bomb like a cowboy. Only in reality, W would be AWOL.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: 'America Would Back I

Reverend Blair said:
But a new war takes the electorate's mind off of the economy, Calm. It doesn't always work (witness what happened to George Sr.) but that's never kept the policians from trying it.

Thats what Argentina did to take the general populations mind of the crappy economy and problems when they invaded the Falklands.

Bush is the same. He wants to draw people away from his lousy domestic record and hoped to unite people through a war/invasion/occupation and it is not going as planned.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I agree with the economic determinists on this one; for me, the US drive to war is largely based on economic imperatives. Basically, the US is faced with the problem of the over-accumulation of capital. In the past this has been dealt with through peaceful strategies such as the New Deal; new markets were created by investing in infrastructure, education and social spending. The destruction of competitors’ economies during WWII , likewise created a market in which the US were able to dominate.

Such options are no longer available; any New Deal is blocked by the political classes in the US, whilst the expansion of other economies, notably in Europe and Asia, means the US no longer dominates the world economy to the same extent.

The so-called ”war on terror” offers the US several economic opportunities. It creates a geographical space for economic growth, plus new markets for US goods and capital. Clearly, huge amounts are also invested in military spending. Finally, the US is able to dominate the economies of other states, through control of the oil supply: This will become even more important as reserves diminish.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Finally, the US is able to dominate the economies of other states, through control of the oil supply: This will become even more important as reserves diminish.

Which also explains their continued efforts to undermine Kyoto even though they are not a part of it. Any reduction on the dependence of oil by foreign nations takes a little more economic control away from the US.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
One particularly annoying thing about Kyoto is that the pathetic first-round target barely scratches the surface of the problem, due to all the concessions that were made to get the US and Australia on board, then they refused to sign, anyway. (I'm getting a bit off-topic; I'll look for a Kyoto thread for my rants in future)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It was only ever meant to be a first step though, Henry. What I find more disturbing is how it took for anybody to start working towards the goals.